1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

need to buy one of the 300mm's!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pixelvandal, Apr 9, 2013.

1. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    so im torn between the panny and the new olympus 300mm's.
    from what i gather, focusing is slightly faster on the oly, and its POSSIBLY sharper, and most of all, lighter.
    BUT
    the faster panny keeps taunting me.... my finger is hovering over the buy it now button for both of these, i want to order one tonight! or...asap. haha

primarily ill be trying to shoot birds. other wildlife. but if i got the panny, would i be able to shoot high iso, at the low end of the zoom, in lower light? i know f4 is still pretty slow in that regard....but it would be cool to use this at a concert if possible, even if i do get grainy images...

help me choose? :D :D

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you have a Panasonic body then get the Panny, for future proof body selection get the Panny.
    I have not seen reviews of the new Olympus therefor we can only speculate regrading the performance.

3. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    oops, sorry, i thought i had it in my signature, i have an om-d :) so the ois is pointless for me, and im pretty sure ill be sticking with olympus bodies as i LOVE the ibis.

:drinks: :2thumbs:

4. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    If you have a Panasonic body, buy the Panny 100-300
    It you have a Olympus body, buy the Panny 100-300 :smile:

I don't understand how it is possible to product and sell (and buy) lenses darker than f5.6 that is already too dark!

5. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I am happy with the Oly one. Besides the smaller size, it also goes down to 75mm. Interesting for that occasion when the wildlife is coming towards you.

Here is another thread in which the pros/cons of both lenses are discussed:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f38/p100-300-o75-300-ii-43439/

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I am happy with my P100-300. I found it acceptably sharp across the entire range. The IS does have an advantage should you ever use a body without IBIS.

Gary

7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I pre-ordered the Olympus. Put it through some paces. It's staying.

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm not sure I agree about the OIS being pointless for you. I have the OMD and use the 100-300 and switch the Mega OIS on and off as needed (and when shooting handheld, just for focusing value, I need it at times).

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'd get the Panny. Faster at the long end, IQ at least as good, OIS for bodies without IBIS, and I like the design of the available aftermarket tripod mount for the Panny much better than what's available for the Oly.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Available aftermarket tripod mount? I never knew this! A pointer please?

11. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    From the info in THIS thread. I really like it. Seemed pretty cheap too. I got the arca compatible version.

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks Doc, but how do I order one of these things? I don't speak German!

13. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Just send them an email. They most probably speak English. Their email address is listed on this website (Kontakt = Contact Information):

Rudolf Rösch Feinmechanik - Kontakt

In case you encounter a language problem, I am happy to help out.

14. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I just sent them an email. They then responded with how to order using paypal. Took about 2 weeks to get to me, but definitely worth the wait.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm the OP on that thread. Email 'em, their English is at least as good as mine, probably yours. :wink:

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I recently picked up a Panasonic 100-300 and, whilst I've not done any controlled testing, it does seem to me that the IS in the lens is noticeably more effective than the OMD's IBIS - at least at 300mm.

17. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Does the O.I.S in the Panasonic overide the I.S in the OM-D when activated on the lens ?

18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Only on the E-PL5 (and E-PL2 I assume). On the OMD, you need to turn off IBIS manually.

19. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    Pulled the trigger on the Olympus 300, just liked the way it handled better, got steady shots easily at 300 handheld! Got home and its dark now, but will have a proper play tomorrow :D

20. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - I use all Olympus bodies and I love this lens! :thumbup: