1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need tips on using the Olympus 60mm macro lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mtipton1064, Dec 25, 2013.

1. mtipton1064

mtipton1064 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    I got this lens for Christmas. Basically: what does the orange line in the little window on top of the lens tell me and how is the circular switch on the side used?

Thanks!

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    The orange line in the window tells you where the lens is currently focussed: when it is at the nearest position to the camera, it is focussed to infinity; when it is at the nearest position to the end of the lens, it is at 1:1 macro, its closest focussing distance.

The switch is the focus limiter. It has four positions. The default position, the middle position, is the focus limiter disabled: the lens can focus anywhere from infinity to 1:1 macro, but it may well be slow focussing as it scans the entire range. Moving the switch one notch clockwise limits the focussing to non-macro distances: in other words, from infinity to fairly close (I cannot remember how close, but it is marked on the switch). One notch anticlockwise from the default position focusses at macro distances only. Move the switch a further notch anticlockwise and hold it there, and the lens will move to its closest focussing position for 1:1 macro. Do not forget to re-set your camera to manual focus when you release this if you want to focus by setting the lens to 1:1 using the switch and moving the camera in and out until the subject is in focus, as on some cameras (including the E-M1), the focus will reset to automatic when this position is used.

• Like Like x 4
  3. mtipton1064

mtipton1064 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Thanks!

That is the just info that I was looking for. I was trying to relate the position of the orange line with the switch position.