1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need tele lens help.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RobertS, Feb 22, 2013.

1. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I've only had my MFT camera for a couple of weeks now. And between terrible weather and a sporatic part/time work schedule, I have had only minutes to get acquainted with it. But so far, I really like my E-PL2. I have 2 lenses: 14-42II and 40-150mm. I'm thinking that I could really use a longer tele lens, however, and would like to know what you feel are my options. I would think something reaching to 200mm, or even better, 300mm. I'd like it to be compatible with my camera body, and not freakishly large and unwieldy, or severely unbalanced. Maybe there isn't anything fitting these requirements. But that's why I'm here asking. Or perhaps the best solution lies in a non-MFT native lens, but something different requiring an adapter(not my first choice).
    So what can you advise? Thanks in advance.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    In the link bellow there are all the :43: lenses.
    The best option regarding size would be the New O75-300.
    The P45-200 is a cheaper and smaller option but will only get you 30% over your current lens.

Micro Four Thirds Obeachktive - HENNIGArts : Gear

4. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    If you are going the route of a tele lense with more reach than 150mm, I would also advise you consider getting an EVF if you don't already have one.

With my experience, using the LCD on the camera to take a photo at focal lengths of 100mm and beyond can be very difficult and frustrating.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're going to stick with slow zoom lenses like those you already have, then I would go for a 300mm super-tele like the Lumix 100-300mm or the revised m.Zuiko 75-300mm.

If you want something brighter, then get an adapted lens. It all depends on your needs.

6. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    So if I were to go with an adapter and tele (non-native) what specific lens or lenses might you recommend? And are we talking AF lens....a lens that can be stabilized? But then can they still be used hand-held? I'd be afraid that with an adapter, and also a non-native lens, that this might be a recipe for disaster if using a tripod because of the unbalanced situation (very small camera with a very large lens).

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    In this case, get a lens with a lens collar, so the lens sits on the tripod.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you are going with adapted lenses then you must get an EVF.
    The adapted lenses do not have AF and usually are larger then the :43: lenses.
    I would recommend to stay with the native :43: slow tele-zoom.
    With the small body and lack of EVF your chances of getting keepers using adapted telephoto adapted lenses are slim.
    If you want to practice with adapted lenses i would recommend getting a cheap 50mm F/1.8 first or get a similar with macro ability if you want to start shooting macro.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I also have an E-PL2 and love it except for low light. I had the Panasonic 45-200mm and it isn't worth it. The Panasonic lens is as big and heavy as my Nikkor 55-200mm !!! The extra 50mm was barely noticeable. I have an adapted 60-300mm and the extra 100mm does make a difference. There are 2 options for a 300mm in m4/3, the Panasonic 100-300 and the Olympus 75-300. I personally am going to get one of the Olympus lenses because it is a bit lighter.

10. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    If you use an adapted MF lens you can still manually enter the focal length to get IS. Some of the not-ridiculously-heavy 300mm options are:

Canon FD 300/5.6 SSC - 685g
    Canon FDn 300/5.6 - 635g
    Minolta MD 300/4.5 - 705g
    Minolta MC 300/5.6 - 720g
    Minolta MD 300/5.6 - 695g
    Pentax M* 300/4 - 825g
    Pentax A* 300/4 - 850g

But the caveats about adapted manual lenses that folks mention above certainly apply.

11. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I'd get the Pany 100-300mm over the Oly 75-300mm because of OIS. I'm not convinced Oly's 2 axis IBIS is of much use at the best of times, let alone at 200mm. At least this way you have a choice.

12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I use an EPL2 & a 75-300. As far as size, you can easily handhold it. In good light, IBIS is sufficient to shoot at 300mm, but I still carry around a light monopod with me if I'm planning to use the 75-300 a lot. I love that it starts at 75 too--I never feel like I'm missing anything with just it and anything that's in the mid 40's (like the kit lens or my 12-20-45 trio).