1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need tele for action and low light

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Anastasia, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Anastasia

Anastasia New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2012
    OK.. well maybe this is impossible on my budget, and I'm new to photog and mft, so I'm not sure what I can do.

I need to shoot from the stands onto football field (HS- so not tremendously far) at night games to get band and colorguard (fast moving flags, rifles, flying in the air).

I am doing horribly using Pan G5 45-200, just way too dark at the needed ss. Unusable outcome at high enough iso.

Also need to shoot a few fashion shows.

Any lens recommendations? Even legacy lens (cheaper I assume) if I can manage to focus OK. Would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.:smile:

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    only lens that comes to mind is the upcoming Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 but its rumored to be $1500.

If you dont mind shooting with a prime then the Olympus 75mm f1.8 looks like its excellent but still not cheap at $900.

• Like Like x 1
  3. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

45-200mm

That lens is not a fast lens at all. I have it and use it for portrait mostly in daylight. Even considered dumping it except this past weekend it came in handy for a few nice shots of my daughter from far away. Granted she wasnt moving at all but still it was nice not to have to move in.

I was tempted to pickup the 75mm for that purpose alone. Not 200mm i know but still better.

4. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    I had two sons play HS football. From the stands you likely need at least a 300mm (35 mm equivalent) to get the action you want. At that focal length a fast lens is VERY expensive. That's a lot of high quality optical glass. So either you put up the dough to get the one you want, OR you learn to pick your pics. Even in a fast-moving game there are pictures to be taken in which there is relatively little action. Set plays, like punts and kicks; huddles, sidelines, timeouts, just before the snap or right after the whistle. You can also make use of slow-shutter techniques like panning to get nice pics with some action-enhancing movement blur. In some big towns you can sometimes find a lens to rent for an event. And then you can check out used lenses on the 'net and at places like B&H and Adorama. And no matter which lens you get don't forget the monopod. And believe it or not even from that distance a flash helps to light the eyes and will give your pics a little "pop". Hope this helps.

5. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    And maybe you could ask for sideline permission. When my younger son was a senior my wife and I volunteered to take pics of all the boys in exchange for being allowed on the field. It was fun playing like a sports photog and got to know the local news photographer pretty well. Got great shots of our son and then at the after-season banquet everyone got a kick out finding and keeping pics of themselves from their final season. (This was prior to digital photography. I just bought, shot and processed a ton of film and donated the pics to the boys.)

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the Oly 45 - 150 and it is a sunlight only lens. I think that m4/3's suffer in the long zooms. I am considering the Oly 75 or Pana 35 - 100 as faster alternatives.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    seems like Oly 75mm f1.8 is the only option right now. Judging by early reviews the lens seems sharp enough for cropping essentially extending its FL.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My take on this subject is that like the Leica M9 there are certain limiting factors for the longer FL's. The rangerfinder Leica does best with FL under 100. The m4/3's are more versatile in that they have lenses above 100 (200 equivalent) but they are not as sharp not fast as the shorter FL's. Luckily a lot of the 100 - 300 m4/3's FL's are used to shoot nature during the day, that does not help the OP who wants to shoot HS football at night. For that I agree with Art, the Oly 75 may be the only option.

9. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Alternative ?

If you can find one why not a Tamron Adaptall 2 SP90mm Macro (180mm effective on 4/3) and adaptor and some cropping?

Manual Focus was f2.5 (I have this and it's a bit heavy but good. Used it lots for portraits on 35mm but always had to soften it as very sharp)
    AF was/is f2.8 (not tried one)

You will also get a stunning macro lens into the bargain.

10. Anastasia

Anastasia New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks so much for the advice. I saw the new 35-100 but $$$ for me. I did get permission tosit at the sideline last time, great idea. Better, but still dark, and without the height of the stands (doesn't help that I'm 5ft 3) I was limited.

I will try than panning idea and see what I can get, thanks!
    ..actually I just got a legacy hexanon 50mm 1.7, waiting for an adapter, if I can manage to focus maybe I'll get something. I assume this will then be a 100mm, right?? Otherwise I'll look into the Oly 1.8.

Thanks everybody!

11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anastasia

Anastasia New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2012
    Actually, the tamron idea sounds good too. I'm going to see how I mangage with the manual focus of the hex first, I think, if it works for me then I'll look into the tamrom. Thank you all very much. I appreciate you help! (which is much needed)

13. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

Take a look at legacy lenses, specifically a 180 f2.8 lens. Under the right conditions - harsh and contrasty lighting, great contrast range (such as stage or sport event lighting) - these lenses can be great performers.

I have the Zuiko and it is great for stage work. It is, of course, the equivalent of a 360mm f2.8 lens. I also have a Vivitar 200 f3, equivalent of a 400 f3 lens. While you may have to search for a while to find one at a good price, they are out there. The great thing, of course, is that you can also use Nikon, Canon, Leica, whatever you find.

The downside, of course, is that it's manual all the way and for critical use, some of these long lenses can show significant chromatic aberration, as they were designed for film use where the problem wasn't so critical as it is with digital.

Oh, and use a monopod to reduce shutter shake even further. Manfrotto makes several that have three legs you screw on the base of the monopod to further help with stability...worth it! :)

JohnF

• Like Like x 1
  14. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Start with a manual focus 135/2.8 or 70-200/3.5, cheap mostly good, so the cost of trying is very low. Then you'll have a better idea if you need longer, faster, zoom, etc.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you can focus manually, there are some legacy lenses, e.g., 135 2.8, that would be long and fairly fast at a reasonable price. This is easier if you have an eye-level finder, IMHO.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Okay,
    I'll ask the question that appears to not have been asked yet.

Before you go looking around for a lens, what settings have you been shooting with? Specifically ISO, aperture, and shutter speed :confused:

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - and some sample pix to see how "unusable" they are would also help

19. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Agreed. I have a 135/2.5 and managed to get some shots of a soccer game from the upper deck. Not bad, and probably about what you'd get from a HS stadium where you'll be closer, but the lighting will be terrible.

To overcome the MF, I picked a spot on the field and let the action come to me. Managed to get some decent shots like that.