1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need Suggestions for a simplified resizing workflow

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Warren T., Aug 2, 2011.

1. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    hi folks,

I need to develop a simple resizing workflow solution for my wife to use until she can learn my personal LR workflow. She uses a relatively slow and memory limited PC currently (Win XP Home), so I don't think LR will run well on it. She is also a computer novice, so the simpler the better. I can show her how to connect her Lumix GF1 to the computer to transfer and rename files using the Windows camera file transfer utility. It works well, but once the files are on the computer, she will inevitably want to send pictures to her friends. I explain to her that the native .jpg files (5mb each) are way too large to be sending via email.

I was wondering if any of you can suggest an easy way that I can help her set up, to use for simple resizing of her jpegs for emailing.

In the near future, I think I will buy her a new computer and then teach her my own Lightroom based workflow so that we're both using the same procedures. But for now, she is occupied learning more in-depth about our GF1 and photography in general.

I want to give her a temporary solution for now so that she can do her photography activities independently from me.

Thanks,

Warren

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Picassa.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    She might want to try the same workflow my wife uses...

"Here, Bob. Will you please save and print some of these for me?"

... Or is that what you're trying to avoid? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Set the picture format in the camera to be "web friendly" 1024x768 and skip all the PP hassles! At least in the E-P1 (that's all I know) one can set Small picture size to be 1280x960, 1024x768 or even 640x480. One can set the SF+RAW so she can have readily emailable jpegs and you still get the RAW in case you want to go back and "purty it up".

Buried down in the *G menu is where I set the pixel counts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    :biggrin: you're right, that's what I'm trying to avoid because I've been doing it for years. I want her to become more self-sufficient.

--Warren

6. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    hmmm, now this is interesting. Is it possible to have the camera shoot a full resolution RAW file, and also save a lower resolution jpeg of the same image? If so, this may be the best compromise. :smile:

--Warren

7. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I used FastStone PhotoResizer for batch resizing and I liked it. It's freeware and I like FastStone in general, their ImageViewer is great.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup, that is exactly what happens on the E-P1 when the picture is set to small jpeg+RAW.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    +1 for Picasa n/t

+1 for Picasa

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    the small jpg+raw is a good solution (if the hard disk has room enough for the raw files), though Picasa is a more complete environment as it allows web gallery posting and mail directly from within.
    My father-in-law loves it for this, to the point of teaching his friends how to use it.

A long term solution for non-computer fanatics might be an iPad with camera connection kit and snapseed or photoforge2. Costs as a small PC and is more satisfactory to a normal user, though less powerful.

• Like Like x 1