Need sources for online video hosting

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by BillW, May 28, 2013.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I'm looking for sources to host my online video projects.

I am shooting events which I want to post for viewing (and make them available only by link - not public).

The first video I have is 1.6 gig. so I need a source that will accept the file size.
    I was checking out Flickr but am not sure if it will work for me.

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    +1 for Vimeo. With a paid account you can upload large files, they're processed quickly, and you can restrict who sees the video (i.e., link only, password protected, etc...). Vimeo also lets you replace video files. If you make tweaks to the video you can just replace the existing video and use the same link and security.
  3. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    You should look at smugmug. Power and higher accounts can do HD video. There is no file size limit listed, but instead a 20 minute limit. Security it's on a gallery basis, and you can hide, password protect, or both.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    plus one for vimeo... they seem to have accepted a 3 gig original file from me (a one hour performance) and they then deliver at a variety of sizes... I do have a pro account with them - cant recall if thats 25 or 50 dollars a year

5. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Here's one more question to add to the mix...

I know the original upload gets "processed" by the hosting site, so will that knock down my original file size by much?
  6. RK777

RK777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    +1 for Vimeo.

File size would only matter if you intend for the viewer to be able to download the file, correct? Otherwise it is irrelevant.
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    here is a quick screen shot of the file size numbers from my longest video on vimeo - about an hour long

8. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks for the info. That helps quite a bit. Do you recall what the original file size was that you uploaded?
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Another vote for Vimeo.
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US

It seems it does matter.
  11. andymacadams

andymacadams Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2014
    San Diego, Ca
    I know this may seem a little off topic, but, I recently bought a LaCie external hard drive for my mac. With it came a free subscription to "wuala" their cloud storage. So if your in the market for a hard drive too. You could store the videos on the cloud, then post or email a secure link to the video stored on your cloud. Google drive is also an option but limited to storage. Both can monitor a folder on your local hard drive. Once the video has been produced it could exported to said folder then automatically sent to your cloud storage.

My apologies if this is not what your looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43