1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need some zoom for my G3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jarola, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Jarola

Jarola Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Jarek
    I currently have the 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 lenses that I use with my G3. I am thinking I need an all around zoom lens to add to my kit. I was considering the 45-200 but with the 2x crop factor, maybe that is too long...

I am even thinking about the 14-45 kit lens. Maybe I should trade my 14mm for the 14-45mm?

Of course, the cheaper the better.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Maybe u could consider 45-175x.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would get the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II (the Mark II version is CDAF optimized and will AF faster on your camera than the original version) along with a 4/3-to-m4/3 adapter, or else wait for the new Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8 to arrive (or the Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8 of course, but it sounds like you're leaning more to a telephoto zoom). Anything else would be too slow for a general purpose zoom in my opinion. Micro Four-Thirds only has lenses of decent grade and lens speed in the primes so far... We don't have many worthwhile zooms yet in native mount except maybe the Lumix 7-14mm f/4 Ultra-Wide Angle (which of course isn't useful for everybody!).

4. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Zoom

I have the Leica 4/3 14-45 and find it really great if you prefer manual focus. Autofocus is slow, but ok for static subjects, not a good lens for sports, but very good IQ

5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I'd say trade the 14mm for a kit zoom. You only give away about a stop of speed at the wide end and you get a good all round range for a lot of subjects. It's fast enough for most daylight use and is stabilised for static subjects in less than ideal light. It depends on how much you like and/or use the 14mm though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.