1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 5, 2016.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I am trying to find a JPEG setup on the E-M10 that I can use to approximate contrasty BW film (like Tri-X for instance). I use it on my Fuji X10 and it's rather fun and I was hoping I could do something similar with the E-M10. There's a good bit customization of the image parameters on the Olympus but so far I am not able to get it. I know it CAN do it as I have seen some very nice SOOC BW from OMD cameras. Does anyone have settings that they like?

Before anyone says it...I know I can do this in PP (it's how I currently do it) I am wanting to try something new.

2. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    I don't know if this will fit your bill but I've been playing with the following:
    Monotone
    Cpntrast +2
    Sharpness +1
    B&W Filter: Red
    Pict tone: Neutral
    Gradation: High Key
    I tend to underexpose with these settings -
    2016-04-05-09-53-50.

• Like Like x 3
  3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That looks quite good, I'll give that a try. Thank you.

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Those are good suggestions. Also try to bring the shadow curve down 1 or 2 stops.

5. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Where do you do that in the menus?

6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    That's not in the menus. You have to bring up the Highlight/Shadow control. Then adjust the shadow curve.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Got it. Thanks.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks, I didn't realize you could do that. I'll noodle with it tonight.

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
  10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    This is from @robcee@robcee on that thread
    Put 'er in Monotone. Contrast: +1, Shadow/Highlight: -2/+1, Sharpness: -1 (I find the builtin jpeg compression a little harsh), Gradation: Low-key.

I'll give it a try. The sample he posted has the look I'm after.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Tried several different variations on setting up the JPEGs and none of them quite get to where I want to get to. Some really great looking images and some that I will definitely use again but just not quite what I was hoping for. I'm sure I can get there with enough noodling but not for my upcoming road trip (short on time) so the Olympus will just have to sit this one out. Plenty of time to figure this out later.

Thanks all for the suggestions. If and when I finally get it I'll make sure to share what worked for me (with images).