1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need some motivation to keep shooting after some disappointment?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dylandingo, Oct 19, 2012.

1. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    "Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through."
    — Ira Glass

Alright, so it's more directed to writers but I still feel it fits.

• Like Like x 8
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    A great bit of advice - thanks for sharing!

We listen to This American Life quite a bit, and just recently saw Ira and Mike Birbligia during a screening here of Sleepwalk With Me. Great movie, I thought, if you haven't caught it yet.

3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's good advice. I would add not to look at Ray's pictures.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Writing, Photography ... it is all about communicating.

G

• Like Like x 1
  6. emperorvince

emperorvince Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2012
    NYC
    Very well said !

7. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I agree with everything Ira Glass said ... except I hate deadlines. Deadlines = stress = short life. I intend to keep plugging away at this until I die, with no due dates to ruin the fun of it.

Due dates are great for most people, so most people should ignore this, but if deadlines make you crazy stressed out, skip them and Just Do It. You'll feel better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    A good quote, I think it was also related in The Passionate Photographer if I'm not mistaken. You can watch the full (expanded) video of Ira Glass speaking on this topic on youtube too:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI23U7U2aUY]Ira Glass on Storytelling, part 3 of 4 - YouTube[/ame]

Interesting animated text version here also:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/24715531]Ira Glass on Storytelling on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The deadline stress, (the loaded gun pressed to the temple), on the photojournalist is much greater than the reporter. The photojournalist needs to be in the right place at the right time with the right equipment, the right settings. The photojournalist has only one shot to be in the right place, at the right time ... after getting the shot and making deadline, tomorrow you just gotta do it again. Hell, the reporter can write the story from a bar.

B

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some people do their best under stress however! Some of us need the deadlines or we tend to procrastinate{note the change from 3rd to 1st person!}

11. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Yeah the deadlines thing does work with me either, not because of stress or anything but for the fact that as of now I am just shooting for myself.

But I've had this quote tucked away and just refound it and thought I'd share.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you saying that my photography sucks because my standards are too high?

Well... I knew that. :biggrin: