1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need some knowledge

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Grinch, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So I've been reading and watching and trying to learn and understand, but I need to ask for some guidance. I would like to get some reference materials, in regards to photography, and was hoping the gurus could suggest some reading material for the beginner aka me. I've gone to the bookstore and was afraid to choose from the vast selection, especially since it seems I could spend as much on books as I did on my original kit!

• Like Like x 1
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    More. Quite easily.

You need one good modern general purpose book. The Life Guide to Digital Photography by Joe McNally is a good one (is also available as an app if you have an iPad and better and cheaper than the printed version). McNally is one of the great small format shooters, ever and a personal hero of mine. Or you can look at one of the thousands of books written by Scott Kelby. The writing of the Kelby Books isn't for everyone but the information is Gold.

Then a couple on your favorite subject, whatever that is. And one on lighting.

If you like reading then.......

lighting:
    Light Science and Magic
    The Hot Shoe Diaries - Joe McNally
    On Camera Flash - Neil Van Niekerk

Exposure:
    understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson

Landscapes:
    any thing by John Shaw or Moose Peterson
    Lens Light and Landscape - Brian Bower

Inspiration and building an image:
    The three books by David DuChemin - Within The Frame, especially.
    Visual Poetry - Chris Orwig

Composition:
    The Photographers Eye - Michael Freeman (also available as an iPad app. And it's really good as one)

Basic Studio Techniques and Basic Studio Techniques:
    Guide To Digital Photography Set (3volumes) Scott Kelby

I've avoided the more technical ones in this list and not included to much involving post processing.

That should get you started.

Gordon

• Like Like x 3
  3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    hi Gordon,

after you posted these, (the app versions) i quickly searched for them and couldnt find neither :(

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think you might mean

"Understanding Exposure" - Bryan Petersen
    Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (9780817463007): Bryan Peterson: Books

It is FANTASTIC - highly recommend if you are not an expert in how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO interact to determine the exposure and "feel" of your photographs.

Petersen has also written several other books. I have seen "Learning to See Creatively" highly recommended, but I didn't think it was all that great.

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I found the Joe McNally book, the app store search engine is a little convoluted ... "LIFE Digital Photo Guide" is how apple has listed it.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Don't forget to check your local library ... you may not need to spend money to get all these books! :thumbup:

7. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Try searching by the authors surnames. That's how I found them. McNally and Freeman.

Gordon

8. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Sorry. You are, of course, correct. I had Shaw on the brain for some reason.

Gordon

9. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Books on Photography

First, as Sprinke noted above, hit the library and settle in for a couple days.

Second, I would add that ANY good book on Photography will offer good advise, be it film or digital, if the author is a photog and knows the topic. Time Life has a book called The Print, and one for basic camera work that are good.

It is good to know the relationship between light and speed, depth of field and some other topics...all based on film use, and translate into digital work.

You could, of course, simply use the camera and learn by doing, or even take a film box out for some bw shots and develop the film yourself to give your learning some depth.