Need some Jupiter 8 parts

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jun 17, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just picked up a Jupiter 8 and I decided to open it up and give it little cleaning. It has some fingerprints on the rear elements and some dust so I thought I'd have a go at it. It's pretty easy to disassemble but I lost one of the tiny set screws on the bottom ring (and it was already missing one). Any clue where i might find something like that? It's REALLY tiny. I was thinking I might pick up another one just for parts.

Any suggestions?

2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Damn, it's a problem. Perhaps you can find a "Part or repair" in ebay for a low price. Sorry I can't give any better help. Some time ago I lost a screw of a camera I was disassembling and couldn't make it in one piece again. Now I only do such work inside a box. Good look.

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    DANG!!! Inside a box...why didn't that even occur to me? Well...I'm off to eBay for a parts donor.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Do you have another of the same screw? If so, you might be able to order or find some if you know the thread and pitch.

5. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    If you have another screw then it is rather easy , if you ask kindly in an optical shop ( optician) they should give it to you either for free or for a very little money. DIY shops will charge insane amounts for it. Ebay could be a solution but for a couple of screws is a bit of an over investment i think.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    OPTICAL SHOP...what a great idea. It does look a lot like an eyeglass screw. There is still one left so I could definitely use it as a model.

7. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I use an old cafeteria tray, thin layer of plastic bubble wrap on the bottom, white paper towel across it. i put the screws in an ice cube tray, and keep a magnet around for ones that get lost.

On the J-8: the optics module unscrews from the focus mount. The rear module unscrews, I use a rubber mouse pad. No need to undo the screws.

Do you have a black or chrome lens?

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a chrome lens but I saw that I can get a brand new optics for the Jupiter 8 for $25+delivery. I don't care if it's a multi color lens as long as it works.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A watch repair would have a fine collection of screws as well.