Need some help with lens choice for upcoming London trip

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by pratyk, Aug 25, 2014.

1. pratyk

pratyk Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Boston, MA
    I'm leaving for London in a couple of days and plan to be in London for 3-4 days and take a trip up north for another 3-4 days, possibly the lake district.

I've mostly been on day trips or overnight trips with my Olympus E-M10 but not for trips longer than 2-3 days.

I own the following:

Olympus 14-45 kit lens
    Panasonic 45-175mm
    Panasonic 20mm
    Olympus 45mm
    Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye

I was looking to carry 3 lenses max. What'd be the best option for me to carry w.r.t lenses?
  2. sw08023jp

sw08023jp New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2013
    What are you most comfortable with?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
  3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    I'd take the first three, but then I don't own a fisheye myself. The zooms cover all the views, and the 20 gives you low light capabilty.
  4. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I've enjoyed a few London trips. Obviously, it's very urban so a very long lens is not useful. When I was shooting Nikon DX, I used a 16-85mm Nikkor AF zoom (effectively a 24-127mm on FF), and last September, I, now having switched to M43 for travel, used the Panasonic 14-45 and the 20mm f/1.7. That combination was entirely appopriate and adequate (as to perspecive and reach) for touring both in London and for day trips I took to Canterbury, Brighton and the Cotswolds. I've since moved from the 20mm to the 15mm f/1.7 Summilux for a trip to Paris and Ireland and never felt the need for a longer lens. Instea of a third lens, I've recently stuffed a very compact Canon S100 into my bag for pocket/rainy weather backup.
  5. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    I'd go 20 and 45, think that would be fine for most things which are nice to see during the day and the evening. I'd bring the fisheye for fun and for capturing the larger buildings or the 14-45 zoom if you preferred.
  6. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have walked around London a fair bit and I found in order of use I used mostly kit zoom, 25mm and finally 17mm. In my case it was either the first Panasonic zoom that I replaced halfway through the project with the 12-32 Panasonic but your Oly is near enough in range to say that is the most useful followed by the 20mm. I did on a couple of occasions take a tele zoom (45-200) but did not really use it, but your milage may vary and if you are a frequent tele user. I have no experience with an ultra wide in this situation, had one years ago but it got no use really.