Need some help choosing, Done all the research, now I am brain fried

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by disneypro, Nov 19, 2013.

1. disneypro

disneypro New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    Boston MA.
    Brian
    Hi Guys,

I been watching this site for quite a while, just joined today to ask a question for the first time.

I ordered the Olympus OMD EM1 from my local shop, it arrived today. I should be stoked, but I am even more worried about making a poor choice.

Last April, my wife and I went to paris and rented a OMD EM5 with 17mm/ and 12-50. (Only used the 17mm 1.8 because it was awesome) We took some great pics.

Last month I decide to finally pull the trigger on a new camera, looking at the Canon 6D, Fuji X-E2, M1 and M5. All my research has driven me bonkers. I am going to tell you what I shoot, and I need help choosing -
    I own a coin shop, and take quite a few coin pictures with a macro lens, right now my D7000 just died so I am looking for something to replace it. While I want a vacation camera too. I don't want Nikon, so my choices were those 4.

Love street photography too.

Any help will be grand

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm not sure I understand, it seems like you've already made the choice and got the EM1. Are you not happy with it? And why not?

3. disneypro

disneypro New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    Boston MA.
    Brian
    I went to BH on Friday, no where was the OMD EM1 to hold, they couldn't find it?

I did order it, but I never got to hold it. They are just holding it for me until I can come and play with it.
    New EM5 body $949 + 17mm 1.8 $499
    or
    OMD EM1 body $1399 + 17mm 1.8 $499 or 12-40 pro $1000
    or
    Canon 6D with Kit Lens L $2499

4. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Ah I see. Well what drew you to the EM1? All three are great cameras and will take great pictures. Each has it's pros and cons.

5. disneypro

disneypro New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    Boston MA.
    Brian
    I was originally going for the size, but with the 12-40 on a OMD EM1 that kinda took that out, also its at the same price level as a canon 6D FF which might be better for macro?

I some what new in the camera scene. Digital Rev got me more into it and now I am hooked. I shoot macro for work, but love street photography and landscape.

I should buy the Canon 6D but the Olympus is awesome sounding.

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I don't believe any of the lenses you have pointed out are good for macro purposes. I'm not familiar with full frame Canon lenses, but m4/3 has the awesome Oly 60/2.8, which is also weatherproof. Can't go wrong with that!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Whether to go with the 6D kit or not is highly personal, but I would rule that one out on size, weight, and functionality (I like small primes with image stabilization, face detection, etc).

As for the others, I think the E-M1 is slightly more capable, but it's also bigger and heavier than the E-M5. Plus you can get a like new E-M5 refurb from an Olympus authorized dealer for $700:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OM-...038499?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item20db0d58e3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OM-...099109?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item4d15418c65

If cost is an issue, I would get a refurb E-M5 plus these two lenses:

For macro (coins) and portrait: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892512-REG/Olympus_v312010bu000_MSC_ED_M_60mm_f_2_8.html

For street and general use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/971405-REG/olympus_v311050bu000_m_17mm_f1_8_lens.html

That gives you a fantastic 2-lens kit for a total of $1700.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Just curious, why are you avoiding Nikon now?

9. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    How do you figure? EM1 is still small compared to 6D, especially if you factor in the lenses. Here's a size comparison: http://j.mp/1bZKSqF

Also, why do you think 6D is better for macro? m4/3 has two excellent macro lenses that will do the job just as well, probably better since the larger DOF will be an advantage in macro photography.

What I think the 6D is better for might be landscapes, sports action, or if you like portraiture with very shallow DOF. Otherwise the EM1/EM5 are extremely capable cameras.

10. disneypro

disneypro New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    Boston MA.
    Brian
    I just want something new, wish I had a better reason other than that.

I am not really into the refurb dept. Heard horror stories.

11. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Easy decision. m43 format is excellent for macros (coins) because of it's greater DoF at the same aperture setting. Additionally the Olympus 60mm macro is one of the very finest macro lenses around. I have had full frame cameras (last was Nikon D600) and shooting macros with them was actually worst part of a full frame camera.

So use your E-M1 and enjoy. Sounds like a good fit for your application.

12. disneypro

disneypro New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    Boston MA.
    Brian
    6D paired up with Sigma 150mm Macro or Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro will be able to really get in and show the coin.

Guy at Hunts Photo in Boston said that M1 paired with the 12-40 will be almost the same size, just going on what he said

13. disneypro

disneypro New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    Boston MA.
    Brian
    Wow, didn't know the 60mm was that good. Definitely changes things. Sorry to be such a sap, but at this kinda money, I want to make sure.

14. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Well you asked us for advice, if you take it that's up to you. But it seems like macro is important to you, and in that area m4/3 has the advantage.

15. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    • Like Like x 3
  16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I'd get a dedicated macro lens if I took coin shots for work. And since you really liked the 17, I'd get that too. So, if I had the coin I'd probably get the EM-1, the Oly 60 2.8 and the Oly 17 1.8. But knowing my reluctance to buy a camera body when it is new and at the peak of its price range, I'd instead get the EM-5.

• Like Like x 1
  17. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I had a 5D II and Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro. That lens is way bigger and heavier than the Olympus 60mm macro. So is the Sigma. The weight difference is particularly significant, with the macro lenses you mentioned for the 6D weighing about 4x as much as the Olympus 60mm macro.

All three of those will do a phenomenal job for coin photography. Comparing the Olympus 12-40mm zoom with the Canon/Sigma macros is apples to oranges.

19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Why not buy an adapter and use your micro-Nikkor lens on your new body? Most macro shots like what you are doing usually involve manual focusing. The 60 is a great lens, but it sounds like you are concerned about your present outlay of funds. Adapters are generally not that expensive. Having said that, I do have to say that I like my 60mm.

--Ken

20. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I've heard numerous horror stories about people paying 25-30% more for the exact same camera bought new that I got via either mint used condition or manufacturer refurb for that much less. I've probably bought over 2 dozen cameras that were manufacturer refurbished, and EVERY one of them was either completely indistinguishable from brand new, or was only distinguished by extremely minor cosmetic blemishes. I've NEVER had a refurb that had any issue during the first year or more of use.