Need some help choosing a flash for EM-1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by comptr, Nov 17, 2014.

1. comptr

comptr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
    Hi a few months back i bought a em-1 with the 12-40 lens and now I am looking for a flash as I do event photography I need to get a flash. I am looking at the FL-600r and the FL-50r so I want to know if one is better then the other. I am leaning to the FL-50r as I found a deal on it but its used and its in like new condition vs the FL-600r new. Which one would be the better buy. I need the flash to to have remote capabilities as i will use the flash on the camera but also will use it in the rapid box too. I am in no hurry to buy so if there are deals coming down the pike for black friday I can wait if not I will snap up a current offer. the Used fl-50r is coming for 229.00 + 8.00 shipping and the new fl-600r is coming for 262.27. Thank you in advance.

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
  3. comptr

comptr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
  4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Event shooting typically means on-camera with TTL. Both of the flashes can be used this way, but the FL50R is going to be more top-heavy/unwieldy. The size difference is appreciable.

But, I'd say you want more power for on-camera bouncing. Then again, I don't event shoot often.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use the FL-50R flashes (a hangover from my 4/3 days) and depending on the lenses you use, it can balance quite well on the E-M1. It's main advantage is its power over any of the other flash units, so you need to consider that aspect perhaps more than anything else. Using the small wireless control flash that comes with the E-M1, the FL-50R works flawlessly, enabling full control and does so even with multiple units.

6. comptr

comptr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
    Well I will be shooting with the 12-40 pro lens and plan on adding the 14-140 pro lens too. I also have some primes too like the pansonic 20mm 14-42 and a zoom lens as u also have a Panasonic G6 too.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You should find the balance with the FL-50R to be quite reasonable with those lenses and, having the 14-140mm, I think the more powerful FL-50R may well be the better option. As Tim the Toolman always said 'More power!'.

8. comptr

comptr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
    Should I get the Panasonic DMW-FL360L instead of the FL-50r or FL-600. Just trying to make sure that I am getting the right flash.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yeah, that'd be the one to get. It should go really well with a GH4. ;)

10. comptr

comptr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
    Well it will be used with the EM-1 and Panasonic G-6. Will the DMW-FL360L be powerful enough as I used to shoot canon and had a 430ex and found it to be lacking as I do event photography.

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you want more power, there's the DMW-580L which is GN58 rather than GN36.

• Like Like x 1
  12. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    The Fl600 requires too much effort to quickly adjust flash power compensation. It is usable, but not as good as my Nikon flashes. I did find during my event coverage, that I would prefer more power in some situations.

13. comptr

comptr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
  14. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    No. As I said upthread, the Pana FL-360L is the same flash as the Oly FL-600R. Both spec out with a guide number of 36m @iso 100.

The 50R specs at 50m (zoomed to 85mm).
    The new Panasonic FL-580L (which doesn't yet have its Olympus clone) specs at 58m @iso 100.

Spec guide numbers are tricksy things, btw. If you divide it by the f-number you're using, it's supposed to tell you how far the light will travel. But iso, obviously affects it (higher iso=> longer distances), and the zoom setting on the flash (higher the zoom, the more focused the beam, and the farther it travels) also affects it. And nobody every tells you both, except for Nikon. So it's very difficult to do apples-to-apples comparisons. Especially since it's sometimes given in feet, and sometimes in meters.

In Canon terms, an FL600R/FL360L is about as powerful as a 430EX, and a FL-580L is about as powerful as (or possibly more powerful than) a 580EX. So, if a 430EX was underpowered for what you want to do, then an FL600R or FL360L is unlikely to make you a lot happier.

Canon's EX speedlite modes, their name gives the guide number. The 430EX is a 43m @iso 100 and the 580EX is 58m @iso 100--however, Canon "cheats" the numbers by zooming both flashes to 105mm. Tested, at 35mm zoom, the numbers come out more as 34m and 39m, respectively. The 600EX-RT, btw, is exactly as powerful as the 580EX, but it zooms to 200mm, hence the higher 60m guide number. As I said. Tricksy things. I really wish speedlights.net hadn't died, and had kept on doing measured guide numbers. (sigh).

• Like Like x 2
  15. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Nice explanation inkista!

For what it's worth I have the FL-600 and I think it's great. I used it at a friend's wedding a few weeks ago and though I only used it later in the night (thanks to the em1 great low light performance) I thought it did a real good job. Not sure what the other poster meant by difficult to control because on the em1 the control is in the camera and easy enough to get to. You can also use it off camera and combine it with 2 more. You need the em1's included flash to do it however.

I used to shoot events and I think I would be fine with it. Recharge was pretty snappy too. The size is absolutely perfect for the em1.

16. comptr

comptr Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
    Thank you you made it Crystal clear I will put my order in for the 50r tomorrow thank you.