Need some help achieving an effect

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by MCarroll, Aug 25, 2013.

1. MCarroll

MCarroll Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Hello everyone, today i have been working on trying to replicate an effect like this:

ChloeAnneCharnockPhotography - Baby/Toddler

(The second photo down)

I like the semi muted colours and the "washed out" look of the image but cant for the life of me replicate it.

I was wondering if there are anyone that could give me a few pointers on the way to achieving something like this :)

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What SW have you got to work with?
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm guessing bump up your exposure, decrease contrast, decrease saturation and maybe bump up vibrance a little. You might want to play with the tone curve too. Bump up your shadows and brightness perhaps.
  4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You may also want to google "cross processing". In film terms, cross-processing was when you processed print film like transparency film or vice versa. It tends to shift color values in a specific way, and looks much like aging film.

Most digital cross-processing techniques are usually done with separate RGB curves.
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    There are a couple of the Olympus Art Filters that give an effect like that.
  6. MCarroll

MCarroll Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Thanks for the tips guys, I've got lightroom and photoshop so i'll give it another shot when i get home later :)