1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Remnest, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Remnest

Remnest New to Mu-43

Dec 24, 2013
    Hello folks, i am new to the forums and id like to get some help regarding some purchases id like to make in the very near future.

The background:

I have not been part of the world of photography for long but it has quickly become one of my great passions after music. For almost two years ive been lugging around a Nikon d5100 with a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, a 55-300mm f4, and a 35mm f1.8 and have been, for the most part, very happy with it. Since i am always doing weekend activities with friends i love to take the opportunity to take pictures of almost every event i attend. That being said, earlier this summer i felt that i needed something lighter and more compact for my everyday street shooting or for the random occasion that presents itself and provides a great opportunity to get a nice picture. Despite the costs i invested in a Nikon 1 v2 and got a 18.5mm f1.8 lens to complement the kit lens. It has proven to be a fun little camera that leaves the house with me almost daily. However, despite some good pictures, i feel that the camera is not up to the task for my needs. Manual focusing is pointless on it, its pretty much useless in anything but sunny days, and quite frankly i dont get the feeling Nikon is serious about this system.

After some serious research for the past 3 months i was introduced to the world of m43. I must say, i wished i knew about this back when i started taking photography seriously. While it seems most people want a run at a FF camera i feel like the best camera is the one i actually take with me. Despite the fact that my d5100 takes much better pictures than the smaller v2, it simply doesnt leave the house as often as it used to. It has been relegated mostly to coming out only when i have made plans to shoot something specific.

With that in mind i sold all of my gear and i'm currently in the market for an OM1 with the 12-40mm f2.8 lens and a second smaller body m43. I find the OM ideal because living in miami, fl = plenty of rain. Not only that, it essentially has all the features i can ever ask for, minus the size. That camera would be used for all of my planned shoots as well as all of the events me and my friends attend (parties, beach days, bbqs, festivals etc.). The other camera would be mostly for street shooting and would remain in my backpack all the time with either the Oly 17mm f1.7 or a Pan 20mm f1.7 pancake. I also travel regularly so both would be coming with me.

So i guess the question is, what would you recommend as a second body? Ive looked extensively at the offering from both companies. The EP5 seems great, but im not sure its worth the price considering id have an OM1. The EPL5 seems quite tempting as does the GX7. The GM1 seems too small since it has no grip imo. Basically i am asking which would you prefer as a second body to the OM1: the EP5, EPL5 or the GX7? If you have other suggestions please feel free to let me know.

My apologies for the WOT.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I would try to find a GM-1 just to hold it. You can add a grip (Frainec's looks best) and have an actual small camera to drag around. The E-M1 is compact for what it delivers, but not small coupled with the 12-40. The GM-1 is tiny.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The way Panasonic is already discounting the GX7, I'd go for that. In fact, I did. In many ways it's every bit as good as the EM1 and makes an awesome second body (or first, for that matter). It's large enough to have really nice controls but is small enough to be really unobtrusive with smaller prime lenses. I liked it notably more than the EP5 and I've tended to strongly prefer Olympus bodies since the GF1. And with current discounts, it's clearly the better value. If you're gonna have two bodies, it's not a bad idea to have one from each manufacturer. IMHO, the EM1 and GX7 are the two best m43 bodies yet made (although I have to admit to not having **** with a GH3, so I can't fully judge it). And make an amazing 2-body kit.

-Ray

4. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Have you considered a used or refurbished EM5? That's the way I'd go if I were you. The EM5 is still an Olympus and will operate virtually identically to the EM1, so switching from one to the other at a moment will be seamless. Not so switching from an Oly to a Panasonic (at least that's been my experience). By choosing an EM5, you'd also get the same 5-axis IS of the EM1, weather sealed body, and full compatibility with any accessories, so they'd function identically with either body.

5. Remnest

Remnest New to Mu-43

Dec 24, 2013
    Thanks for the advice so far guys. I also wanted to know which megazoom would you all suggest for wildlife shooting. There seems to be a number of them available but none of them stand out to me in particular.

6. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Just like you, I used to own a big honkin Nikon DSLR with several lenses and while it takes great photos, it's far too heavy for the biking and hiking that I do. I also tried the Nikon 1 system and was not impressed with it. So I took the plunge on the Olympus E-PL1 and was impressed with the image quality (better than the V1 or V2) as well as the manual capabilities especially manual focusing. I now have a 3 lens system (1 prime and 2 zooms) and I find that's perfect for all the things I do. It's still lighter than the Nikons I used to have.

Having said that, the body I prefer is the E-M5. The 5 axis IBIS and the fast focus are an upgrade to my E-PL1, so personally I would buy it either as a 1st body or yours a 2nd body. It's quite sleek and not so heavy. I would stay Oly to maintain user interface synchronicity.

In regards to mega zooms, the best one for wildlife would be the Panasonic 100-300mm zoom. That gives you 200mm to 600mm 35mm equivalent, plenty enough to capture the lion from the jeep out of harms way!

7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Unless there is something specifically you need from the EM1 then a new EM-5 with a second user EM-5 would give you two identical bodies for a similar expenditure as an EM-1.

EM-1 and an EM-5 would also be a good combination. The EM-5 and Pana 14/20 or Oly 17mm is a small good handling package.

I would suggest you try/borrow/buy a second hand EM-5 to try to see if you "gell" with it first.

8. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    It's not the latest and greatest sensor, but the E-PL2 is worth considering. It is inexpensive, good at lower ISO, and has a built-in flash which can even be bounced. Putting a Panasonic 25mm pancake makes it a throw-in-the-bag camera you don't have to worry about, and will always have with you.