1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need some advice...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Jul 3, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I know I have developed a reputation around these parts as a guy that buys and sells gear about as often as I change my socks but I I find myself in a bit of dilemma. I recently bought a NEX C3. I had gotten to a point where I was pretty happy with my gear and really wasn't looking for a change. I have my GH2 for best quality and video and a red GF2 for when I want something small to carry around. I even picked up an E-P1 for friend and they decided against it but I decided to keep it as it is in like new condition and I have a soft spot for the E-P1. Lens wise I have a 14, 20, 14-45, 45-20o and a pile of legacy lenses (Hexanons, Super Takumars and a much lived Helios 44M).

Enter the NEX C3 and suddenly things change. I love the NEX. It's small, has amazing IQ (think OMD kind of IQ in your pocket) and best of all it makes using my legacy glass fun again. Since I got the NEX the m43 gear has all been collecting dust and quite frankly I am not particularly interested in picking it back up. I don't wat to get completely out of m43 but the NEX is exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for. The reason I left DSLRs in the first place was that I wanted a digital body that I could easily adapt my legacy glass to. I have tried a number of PENs and Panasonic bodies and have had varying amounts of success with them. I have used EVFs and the LCDs of the various models and while they all work reasonably well using the NEX has been an absolute revelation when it comes to manual focus lenses on a digital body. On m43 I always felt that native glass just performed better than native glass. On the NEX I won't even bother with native glass (which is good as the native glass isn't very impressive).

At first I thought I would maintain both systems but right now I am thinking a GH2, GF2 and E-P1 are kind of overkill. I figured I'd sell one or two bodies but I am not sure which ones to keep. My first thought was I could sell the GH2 with the 14-45 and 45-200 as a set and keep the E-P1 and GF2 with the 14 and 20 mounted on them. That way I get a body with IBIS (and a classic design I quite like) and the red GF2 (because I really like it). The other option is sell the GF2 with the same two zoom set and keep the GH2 for video (I like my Super Takumar 50/1.4 for video on the GH2 anyway).

Since I am shooting just legacy glass with the NEX C3 I don't see that I'd be interested in upgrading at this time. The IQ between the C3 and the 5n is so close and quite frankly I don't see any need.

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Have you tried the video on the NEX? Could it replace the GH2 for what you need? If so I'd sell that because it surely still has a fair bit of value which will drop somewhat when the GH3 arrives. I imagine the GF2 and E-P1 are relatively stable price wise.

Your post a week or so ago got me interested in the NEX as I like the idea of focus peaking for my (coincidentally) Konica lenses so I'm curious to see the outcome of this thread before I jump into Sony ownership. Damn you (in the nicest possible way of course) ;)

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    dixeyk, I've only had the E-M5 for about 24 hours, and while it doesn't offer focus peaking it does make using legacy glass much more enjoyable than any other m4/3 body I've owned. That may not be saying much, as I've not used a GH2 or GX1 or E-P3, but the E-M5 made me pull down my ebay auction for my OM 50/1.4 before someone snuck a bid in on it.

Sorry -- I'm not trying to muddy the water even more for you...

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I know many around this forum who have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), but you're the only one I know of with a matching case of GLS (Gear Liquidation Syndrome). :wink:

First, I have a hard time recommending that you keep the E-P1, since you were able to convince yourself to get rid of one just a month or two ago. The strongest reason to retain the camera that I recall from that episode was mostly based around aesthetics and nostalgia. If you keep it, when do you think you'd use it?

That leaves the two Panasonics. The question of which (if either) of those to keep comes down to basically what would prompt you to choose one of them over your NEX. I can see that the GF2 with one of the pancakes would make a more compact unit than the NEX + legacy lens. I know that you like the controls/form factor of the GH2 and that would seem to be your best option for video (although I know next to nothing about how capable the NEX is in shooting video).

Basically it comes down to a question of how often and in what circumstances are you likely to make the choice to shoot with one of your :43: cameras over the NEX. Once you can answer that question, I think you'll know which to keep.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

The video on the GH2 is better than the video on the NEX. That said, the video on the NEX looks very good. For my needs the NEX (or even the GF2) would probably be fine. I got the GH2 bECAUE of the video but if I am honest with myself I don't NEED the highest possible video quality. You're absolutely right the GH2 probably has the best resale value.

The NEX and Konica lenses are a absolute blast.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a good suggestion but for whatever reason the OMD just does not appeal to me. I think it's a super camera with great IQ but probably not a direction I care to go in. Hope you get some good use out of that OM50/1.4...that is a terrific lens.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

LOL...Gear Liquidation Syndrome :eek:...I like that. I hadn't set out to pivk up another E-P1 but I was getting it for a friend. After they backed out I decided to go ahead with the sale. I think part of it was wanting to help SRHEdD get his OMD and part of it was liking the E-P1 as an object more so than as a camera. I just really love the design of it. I like the GH2s handling quite a lot. It's one of the most comfortable cameras I have ever used. It also has the best resale value (especially since it is very new with a low shutter count). The thing that has me considering selling it is the IQ of the NEX is significantly better than that of the GH2. I can shoot even in JPEG and get startling quality as well as very pleasing (very Olympus-like) color. Video wise the GH2 is a lot nicer than the NEX. That leaves the GF2. I like the GF2 because it's small take anywhere AF equipped camera. Loaded up with the P14 or P20 it's a nice compact package. In some ways it is the same kind of camera the NEX is (small and highly capable) but the NEX native lenses aren't in the same league as the P14 or P20. If they were this would be a LOT easier.

I could just keep them all but my GLS is flaring up something awful. Right now I am leaning toward selling the GH2, P14-45 and P45-200.

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    When you get tired of the NEX - and you will - what camera is going to be the most costly to re-get?? ;-)

I think a question you might ask yourself: how serious am I about creating top-quality video? If so, then the GH2 is the elegant power tool you need. On the other hand, if "nice" video captures are what's needed, almost any late-generation camera will likely fill the bill. I'm struggling with this issue myself; I bought a used GH2 as an upgrade to my G2, thinking I would get into video production. Truth be told, I'm unlikely to tackle that challenge at this stage of my life. So the GH2 is a little shaky, pending future offerings from Panasonic, Olympus - and Canon!

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't see it being an m43 camera. The NEX gives me something that no m43 camera has been able to deliver since I started down this path (E-P1, E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PM1, E-P3, GF2, G2 and GH2) a simple and effective way of using legacy lenses. The M43 bodies I have used have all been workable but the difference using the NEX is huge. Currently the NEX doesn't have any native lenses to compete with the terrific m43 native lenses but I am using it as a manual focus body only so if I were to replace it it wouldn't me with an m43 body anyway.

Which body would I regret selling most? Probably the red GF2 because it was the hardest to find.

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Given that you're happy with the NEX for video, then I'm inclined to think that selling the GH2 and the two kit zooms makes a lot of sense. It appears that you're wanting to keep the E-P1 as an object more than a camera, and there's nothing wrong with that. If that's the case, though, what about selling the GF2 instead and using the E-P1 + pancake as your minimalist kit?

I hate to see you getting away from :43: because I've learned a lot from your posts on this forum.

11. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The GF2 makes the most sense to be your keeper - along with the nostalgic favorite the E-P1!

12. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you sell enough :43: gear you may be able to pick up an X-Pro1 as your NEX replacement. :wink:

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm kinda leaning that way. I feel like I should WANT to keep the GH2. I really do like it but I find the idea of selling it and the zoom lenses sitting very easy with me. I think its because a big part of the GH2 for me was using my legacy glass on it (articulating LCD and EVF). With that going to the NEX the smaller bodies are more appealing/conveneint for using the native lenses with.

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That had occurred to me. :biggrin:

15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I thought of that. I am teaching my 9 year old photography so he gets to use the GF2 when we go out. The GF2 isn't worth much and having to deal with me selling "his" camera (despite the fact that it's mine and not his) is something I'd just as soon avoid if possible. Also, my wife has taken a shine to the GF2 (she likes the red). I think it's probably wise to keep it. I may also keep the 14-45 and make the GF2+14-45 the family camera and I keep the E-P1 with the 14 and 20 as my minimalist kit.

• Like Like x 2
  16. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    For a small primes person, the GH2 body is overkill. For a big zoomer, the GH2 is the ergo-balanced weapon of choice!

17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Very true. I have the 45-200 BECAUSE i have the GH2 to put it on. Without the GH2 I would never have bought it. I rarely use it. It's a sweet lens but not a good fit for the smaller bodies.

18. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Yeah. For me the 45-200 and 14-100 didn't work on the ergonomics-challenged G3, so the GH2 was the only choice as a G2 upgrade.

19. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    They are very similar yes, but the 5n does offer the ability to attach the external Sony evf. While I enjoy using my legacy lenses on my Nex 5 there are a few times when I wish I had an evf (particularly for macro stuff in bright sunshine) so when the 5n successor is announced I will probably be looking for a bargain 5n to replace my 5 and getting the (rather expensive) evf.

Not much point in selling the little GF2 given the low resale value. GF2 video is supposed to be pretty good too - not sure how it compares to the Nex though. Nex video using legacy lenses and a tripod is not bad at all and quite good fun to experiment with.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, the ability to use the Sony EVF (that I hear is pretty spectacular) would be nice. When the NEX 5F or whatever it is called is announced I imagine you'll be able to pick up a 5n pretty cheaply.

If am going to sell some stuff it makes the most sense to sell the GH2. The E-P1, GF2 and 14-45 together probably wouldn't fetch as much. the GF2's video is pretty nice It lacks a lot of the manual controls the GH2 has. I really should try the video on the C3. It's only 720p but I have noticed that every review and comment I have seen about it always mentions that it looks very good none the less.