1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need Solution - Glossy iMac Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nueces snapper, Oct 17, 2011.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I just hate glossy screens but My 4 y o 17" MBP is sputtering and a 27" iMac is just the ticket for my needs. Once I get it up and running I'll send the laptop in for a rebuild.

I talked to a nice boy at the Apple store and he wandered around his cubicle farm and saw quite a few screen covers on the machines of Apple workers who are forced to work on stupid glossy screens. He gave me a couple names but I wanted to poll the assembled here and get the real skinny.

So which and where?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am a glossy hater also! This and the fact that I tend to keep monitors longer than computers (workstations) are reasons that I cannot pull the trigger on an iMac. I really, really wish would bring back a tower to sit in between the iMac and the Mac Pro in the lineup.

I have read quite a few reviews on anti-glare screen covers and, from what I remember, all seem to have pretty significant trade-offs.

How about buying an external display to use on the iMac?

3. nueces snapper

Thanks.

You mean the mac mini? Apple doesn't have any displays without shiny screens any more except as special order on a laptop. Kinda wanna stay with Apple and get everything under an applecare plan. Onliest extended warrantee I ever buy.

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I use iMacs all the time. I have no problem with the screen being shiny--actually, the screen is not shiny. I don't even notice the shiny plastic cover over the screen.

5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

You can actually run a 2nd display (3rd party, through displayport or adapter) on the iMac. Of course, increased cost and it will take up more room with 2 displays.

I have an Mac Mini and think it is great, but it is a step back from the iMac on CPU and graphics performance. Apple once had a iMac type machine in a tower enclosure. Some would say this is now the Mac Pro, but not all of us need (or can afford) a full workstation.

6. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I will say it is easier to deal with in a stationary machine (non-laptop) as you can position it to minimize glare and reflections. That said, IMO, the glossy cover is more about style and, perhaps, contrast for movies.... I will take a matte screen any day.

7. robzr

robzr Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It's glass, not plastic. The 27" LED backlit IPS LCD is beautiful. I use a 27" iMac w/ Aperture and I have no complaints about the glossy screen, I think glossy vs. matte is overblown unless perhaps you always have sunlight streaming in on your screen (I don't, if I did I'd consider moving my monitor, I don't think that would be pleasant even on a matte LCD).

I opted for the matte option on my 15" MBP and frankly I wish I hadn't. It was $50 extra and there is no protection for the LCD. If it gets scratched, thats an expensive replacement, unlike replacing only the glass front cover.

I guess if you're a professional who is doing print-work and you don't mind making that compromise, then go for it. But if you generally view your pictures on a monitor, then the glossy monitor isn't going to be an inaccurate representation of what you'll see on a monitor ;) And you can compensate for your occasional print stuff, at least that formula works for me... but I'm sure others have different opinions. My 6-ink consumer level HP Photosmart is probably my weak link anyways, not my glossy monitor.

Rob

8. nueces snapper

Been Googling

Seems the films are pretty much universally panned. Here is a link to a post by a guy who pops the glossy cover off iMacs and it is followed by a lot of supportive comments.

?????????

I have what is called aqeuious (sp?) separation in one eye and literally cannot stand glare of any kind. I LIVE behind dark glasses outside and drive with my visors down all the time. I even have to keep my glasses on in stores with florescent lights.

Given the amount of comments at this link I think Apple could have opened itself up for a class action suit.

A Free & Easy Way To Make Your Glossy iMac Screen Glare-Free :: Fire and Knowledge

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I think that Apple refuses to release a mini tower just to spite me or something. Every time I need to upgrade I have to choose. Last time it was a refurb iMac with a glossy screen. This time it was the 15" MBP with the matte option, since I won't always be able to control the light when out and about.

These days, I think the Mini is a serious option for photographers. It doesn't have the horsepower for video, but these days playing with a 16Mp RAW file is child's play compared to video games and editing HD video streams...

10. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    This makes sense, particularly if you can afford to throw a nice little SSD in the Mini. Hmmmm....

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Well yeah, Apple is not a fan of upgrading (the internals like you can do with other pc's). It's better to buy a whole new machine! :rolleyes: Perhaps the imac is the most flagrant example of this..being unable to buy a new screen (without buying a new computer), or if you want to upgrade the computer part you have to get a new screen. I think a mini-to-midsized tower would be a great addition to the lineup.

12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The OP is referring to iMacs. I have never had to do anything special to eliminate reflections. The clear cover is more ideal than a frosted one as it is clearer and has more contrast.

13. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I like my iMacs. I think they are great and I have absolutely no problem with the screen.

14. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Yup, I was in agreement with you on the iMac - easier to deal with reflections on a fixed display versus laptops.

This one has been discussed many times on mac forums and is a very personal thing whether you prefer glossy or matte. My personal preference is matte, even though I may get a bit more contrast and construction rigidity with a glossy display.

15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I had to buy a Macbook Pro unfortunately; when I did, I had it special ordered with the matte screen. Worth every dollar and probably a hundred more. The trouble with glossy is not just visiblity; it completely wrecks color accuracy. (Why bother with an IPS panel at this point?) Contrast is boosted way too far and your gamma is just plain wrong.

That said I don't have a solution for you beyond using a Dell IPS screen as a second monitor. Good luck...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    In mixed lighting I absolutely hate glossy screens.

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I edit images much of the day, most days, and have for decades. Currently, I have a 24" S-IPS NEC matte screen with an 8-core MacPro, another 24" S-PVA matte screen HP panel with a MacMini, and a 27" i7 iMac with S-IPS glossy screen.

They're all great and generally, I do prefer a matte S-IPS display for image editing. That said, if the 27" iMac with glossy S-IPS screen is placed in a workspace where you have little to no windows or lighting behind your chair, the i7 27" iMac is a wonderful machine, no, it's a fantastic machine for image editing.

The glossy screen of today's iMacs is S-IPS technology, which is the best you can get!!! Yes, the glossy surface can present some challenges for image editing, depending on the user environment, but if you work it right... where you use the machine, this display is incredibly wonderful. The quad core i7 27" iMac is a photographer's dream machine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The older Cinema HD displays aren't glossy - beautiful and bright. I use a pair of 23"s on my PC. Can't be beat, and the 1900x1200 resolution is the perfect aspect ratio. You can get them off eBay for pretty cheap.

19. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    I have an older 23" Apple Cinema Display on my desk at home (typing on it right now) and I absolutely love it. I wish Apple still sold them.

I just got a Macbook Air 13" and it's a super-great machine. I got it to replace a 15" Macbook Pro with the special-order HiRes matte screen. (It's less than a year old and on its way to eBay, BTW.) Turns out the Air's glossy screen does not bother me at all. It's a nice display and if you use it under the right light there is no glare. For example, if it sat on my desk next to my Cinema Display there would be no glare problem.

The 27" iMac has a amazing screen. Really, crazy amazing.

I have a brand new Mac Mini at work and it works very nicely. (The fans spin up a lot, tho, like when it's decoding Silverlight/streaming video.) I think it would be a fine machine for Aperture.

Info overload... I guess I wanted to echo an earlier post. If you can control the lighting where you use your iMac you will forget it's glossy.

As for calibrating a glossy display who the heck knows. I just got a Spyder 3 Elite and it can't seem to calibrate anything correctly. My old Spyder 2 did better (no magenta or green cast). That's for another post...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I'd go for a Mini with an external screen to your taste if you must have a desktop. But for all round usefulness I'd choose a Macbook Air for portability (use a big matte screen for editing purposes).