1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need small camera and live video out

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by webarchitect, Jun 21, 2014.

1. webarchitect

webarchitect Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I've been playing around with a go pro on a multi rotor, and it's cool, but it's go pro. I'd like to fly something better, and not a Sony NEX as is commonplace. I was thinking the Panasonic GM1 would be perfect, but it has no live video out from what I can tell. That is a deal killer, as I want to transmit the feed back to me in real time (FPV). Is there any mu43 camera that is small and light like a GM1 or (OLY Pen?) that will do this?

Thanks

2. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    BMPCC
    Its heavier than a GM1 but it is m4/3 and it has a clean hdmi out and a high bitrate (and I mean high). What type of machine do you fly? If its a Phantom then no.

Another really good option is the new Sony RX100iii, it has 50mbit video, top notch stabilization, about the size of a GM1, clean signal out, built n NDs etc etc.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... BMPCC is the way to go ....

4. webarchitect

Sep 15, 2010
    The BMPCC is something I drool over to be sure. Bear in mind I know nothing of color grading, but I'm sure I can learn. Downside to BMPCC (among others) is lack of stills. Thus the interest in an alternate format.

XAircraft has a new quad coming. Will support Sony NEX perfectly. That's the likely platform, 3 axis gimbal, the works. Their Stella gimbal is very nice for 2 axis Gopro work.

Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks

5. webarchitect

Sep 15, 2010
    Lobbobba, after watching your videos, the BMPCC is on my "must have" list. Still, it may be too much for the next quad in the stable to lift effectively. Your suggestion of the Sony RX100 ii I looks promising. Here are some questions that were bright to my attention. Please comment as you see fit.

- does it have an IR shutter? If it does we can set it up to take photos and videos from a mapped radio switch

- how is the zoom operated? I can see a way we may be able to remotely control zoom from the radio with a servo.

- is the signal out HDMI?

Many thanks!

6. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    The rx100iii was released yesterday in sweden so I havent played with it yet but the HDMI is most likely mickro.
    The zoom is operated by a leaver.
    Not sure about IR shutter. The new model has wifi so that enables some options for remote viewing and controling but I guess its not a crazy long distance.

Very glad you liked my videos BTW :)

7. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Philip Bloom doesn't seem to find the gopro lacking :)
    http://philipbloom.net/2014/06/06/kohyaonoi/

I have heard that the gopro 4 is rumoured to come out sometime this year and maybe have 4k.

8. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    upgrade your gopro to the black edition.

9. webarchitect

Sep 15, 2010
    Already using 3+ black ed