Need shoulder strap or alternative recommendation

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Fair points! When I clicked your Amazon link, it looks like it automatically redirected me to the Canadian version of the site, which had it listed for double the price (far, far beyond the currency difference). I now recognize that US Amazon Optech and fishing versions are functionally the same price.

Forgive my impertinence.
Not an issue. I saw that same comparison in another thread, and being a fisherman myself noted the similarity. Of course I could be all wet and the photo from Optech may be misleading, I guess I'll know this afternoon.

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
I use a lot of re-purposed fishing gear for my camera stuff. Some of the camera gear on the market is ridiculously over engineered and over priced and there are a great many alternatives to almost everything that is commercially made that you can create at home for a fraction of the price. Find a chandlery and see what you can find!

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Just got back from the walk. Strap worked out perfect. I ended up installing the tether with the original quick link. It's much smaller than I expected and there's no way it can bang on the camera body, so I don't need the Optech swivels. BTW, the snap portion on the swivels is a bit longer than a regular snap swivel, you should be able to get normal sized strap through it without bunching. I'll keep them for a future something.

The length adjustment for the Joby strap is really nice, and since there are no snap buckles there's no concern about failure. A pretty decent strap for the $.

Thanks for all the input and advice!

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Would you mind posting a picture of the way you have it set up with the safety tether? I have a pair of DIY slider straps that I've made, I'm always thinking of potential improvements, though.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Would you mind posting a picture of the way you have it set up with the safety tether? I have a pair of DIY slider straps that I've made, I'm always thinking of potential improvements, though.
Sure, I'll try and remember to take some pics tonight. I'll need to get the G7 out of retirement!

One other note, I walked around last night for about an hour and a half with it hanging, picking it up, etc., and it did not loosen up at all. It has a rubber washer for friction and a decent swivel setup, so not sure how it could loosen. I only had the 12-60 3.5 on it last night, so a pretty light lens. I'll try my heaviest lens next time and keep an eye on it, but am thinking the bad reviews are related more to user error than anything else.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Here you go. The tether connects to one of the strap lugs and the quick link. I installed the quick link on an inside loop of the strap to help keep in covered so it doesn't hit the body. As I said earlier, the link is much smaller than I thought it'd be. If the shoe does ever come loose or the buckle breaks, the tether will stop the fall.

The buckle is a quick length adjustment. Flip it up, adjust the strap to the length you want, and press it back down until it locks. Maybe all shoulder straps are like this, no idea, it's the first one I've had.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
strap_0001 by telecast, on Flickr

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
strap_0002 by telecast, on Flickr

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
That buckle seems to be the thing that makes that strap unique. I don't think I've seen it elsewhere, and I can't make out how it's supposed to work, but it seems neat.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Amazon reviews of this strap include several that wish they had thought of the safety tether before their equipment hit the pavement.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Amazon reviews of this strap include several that wish they had thought of the safety tether before their equipment hit the pavement.
Exactly why it has the tether. But again, (see post 25) after walking around with it for an hour and a half and putting it through its paces, I think the reviews have far more to do with user error than the strap itself. There was absolutely no loosening at all.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
That buckle seems to be the thing that makes that strap unique. I don't think I've seen it elsewhere, and I can't make out how it's supposed to work, but it seems neat.
If you look in the first pic there's a thumb tab tucked in the loops of the strap, right at the mount. If you flip that out you can adjust the length, then lock it back down by pushing closed. Very handy, and a nice surprise. I wasn't aware how it worked until I got it.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
If you look in the first pic there's a thumb tab tucked in the loops of the strap, right at the mount. If you flip that out you can adjust the length, then lock it back down by pushing closed. Very handy, and a nice surprise. I wasn't aware how it worked until I got it.
The aspect of adjusting the length via the cam buckle is neat and is definitely not commonly found on cheaper sling straps, and is, or should be, a huge selling point for this strap. I think I get that part. However, the marketing material makes it seem like there's more to it than a single static adjustment, like some kind of no-handed (or possibly one handed?) adjustment mechanism. For example, in the optech strap I have, instead of a cam buckle, it uses a standard ladderlock buckle like you see on backpack straps, which allows one handed cinching and releasing, but the marketing material for the joby makes it seem like you can adjust the length of the strap without manipulating the buckle itself. Does that make sense?

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
The aspect of adjusting the length via the cam buckle is neat and is definitely not commonly found on cheaper sling straps, and is, or should be, a huge selling point for this strap. I think I get that part. However, the marketing material makes it seem like there's more to it than a single static adjustment, like some kind of no-handed (or possibly one handed?) adjustment mechanism. For example, in the optech strap I have, instead of a cam buckle, it uses a standard ladderlock buckle like you see on backpack straps, which allows one handed cinching and releasing, but the marketing material for the joby makes it seem like you can adjust the length of the strap without manipulating the buckle itself. Does that make sense?
I don't think I ever got the hang of doing it one-handed. Maybe in one direction, but not both.

The PD Sling is very easy to loosen with one hand; tightening requires the second hand holding the camera down, even with a heavy lens like the 50-200SWD mounted.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I'll take a look at it and see. Maybe the instructions have something. I can almost see how you could latch it by pulling down since the lock is situated so it will close when the strap pushes on it, but not so much loosening and going up.

I've used this Optech bino-harness (the webbing version, not the elastic version) for years. Two plastic (nylon?) clips; if one breaks, the other still holds the camera in place. I've never had a clip break. For a couple of years, it was carrying a Pentax K5IIs with 18-250mm zoom. This is the only harness that I can use all day long and not get a neck or back ache. Now that I'm using it with my GX85/12-60mm combo, it's even lighter. BTW: Three years carrying that camera (sometimes with the 45-175mm). I wouldn't even consider anything else.

ianpiper

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ian Piper
I've poked through all of the threads I can find. I need a shoulder strap with certain features. I dislike those nylon clips/buckles, they're prone to failure. I know most bags have them but at least if one breaks the camera is in some padding. I can just see everything tumbling to the concrete. Don't want a wrist strap.

Compact
Metal clips/buckles preferred
Safety tether, a must if the clips are nylon
Can hold camera snug to body when walking, kind of like a harness
Needs to be able to comfortably carry a G9 with large lenses, like the PL teles
Lens down

I may not get all of these, but would like to get as close as possible.
Take a look at 1901 fotographi straps. I have these on two of my cameras and they are very high quality. The strap is fixed using metal rivet-type bolts that fit through the leather Not a good description, but take a look at their website and it should become clear. Their service is good and they are nice people into the bargain.

Here's a link: http://www.1901fotografi.co.uk/shop/the-1901-leiter-steichen-leather-camera-straps

I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom