Need shoulder strap or alternative recommendation

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I've poked through all of the threads I can find. I need a shoulder strap with certain features. I dislike those nylon clips/buckles, they're prone to failure. I know most bags have them but at least if one breaks the camera is in some padding. I can just see everything tumbling to the concrete. Don't want a wrist strap.

Compact
Metal clips/buckles preferred
Safety tether, a must if the clips are nylon
Can hold camera snug to body when walking, kind of like a harness
Needs to be able to comfortably carry a G9 with large lenses, like the PL teles
Lens down

I may not get all of these, but would like to get as close as possible.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi, the only one I can think of with a tether option is Really Right Stuff.

I used to use a neoprene strap, Joby Ultrafit, iirc. It should be possible to add a tether on that.

I now use a Peak Design Slide... The QR clips are steel, the tags that lock in are strong plastic, probably nylon. The Slide Lite would be more compact. Neither can work with a tether.

Optech also makes several, but I don't think I've seen them in person.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use the PD Slide on my D7200 dSLR, and the PD Slide Lite on my EM1.
It is NOT compact when putting it into the bag. The nylon belt is stiff like a seatbelt.
I use it cross shoulder, so the strap sits on my left shoulder and the camera sits on my right hip.

PD has a narrower strap, but I like the weight distribution of the wider straps, when carrying a heavy lens.

I also put the right clip down on the L-bracket, so the strap does not get in the way of my right hand working the camera.
So obviously, the L-bracket (or plate) has to have a place to attach the strap.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Hi, the only one I can think of with a tether option is Really Right Stuff.

I used to use a neoprene strap, Joby Ultrafit, iirc. It should be possible to add a tether on that.

I now use a Peak Design Slide... The QR clips are steel, the tags that lock in are strong plastic, probably nylon. The Slide Lite would be more compact. Neither can work with a tether.

Optech also makes several, but I don't think I've seen them in person.
This one? I had seen it but the negative reviews of the base screw coming loose made me keep looking. Have you ever had a problem with this? There seem to be quite a few of the same complaint.

They have an optional safety tether. It's shown as an item frequently bought together with the strap.

https://www.amazon.com/JOBY-UltraFit-Sling-Strap-Cameras/dp/B0096JZRBI?th=1

Dolphinjon

Mu-43 Regular
I am also using a PD Slide Lite. Actually I use three of them on different cameras. I shoot events with them most weekends and they see a ton of use. I have yet to have one break or get damaged. I do inspect the anchors pretty often, however none have shown any issues. I do have a couple of extras with me so that if one ever looks even slightly worn I can just swap it out.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I also mix PD Slide and Slide Light: Slide for the heavy lens, Slide Light for most others. As mentioned above, I wear them cross-shoulder. I also arrange them with the slippery side to me (Slide has a grippy face) - this allows them to slip past each other when I have both. The heavy lens has little need of a tether. I use a PD Capture clip for the light lens mounted to either a bag strap (any lens) or my belt (smaller lenses, like the <=45mm 1.8 primes, only). I've also taken to mounting to the left camera lug and the PD Capture plate screwed to the bottom. I've never experienced a failure, if you exclude the time a camera lug pulled out.

wanderer

Mu-43 Rookie
I need a shoulder strap with certain features.
I dislike those nylon clips/buckles, they're prone to failure.
I can just see everything tumbling to the concrete.
If you’re that concerned, the first change I'd make is switching from a shoulder strap to a neck strap. They are different. Think neck comfort.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
If you’re that concerned, the first change I'd make is switching from a shoulder strap to a neck strap. They are different. Think neck comfort.
I don't get it. Shoulder straps are much more ergonomic and comfortable than neck straps. The weight is distributed across a much larger muscle group with a shoulder strap, and doesn't promote hunching or other bad posture. Even using my old GX1 with a kit lens, 500g of weight carried on a neck strap is more fatiguing after a full day of use than 900g of weight carried on a shoulder / cross-body sling strap.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
This one? I had seen it but the negative reviews of the base screw coming loose made me keep looking. Have you ever had a problem with this? There seem to be quite a few of the same complaint.

They have an optional safety tether. It's shown as an item frequently bought together with the strap.

https://www.amazon.com/JOBY-UltraFit-Sling-Strap-Cameras/dp/B0096JZRBI?th=1
Yeah, that looks like it.
It never came off (or even very loose) while I was using it... I used it on several multi-week trips for 1 year.
I assume Black Rapid (I meant to say Black Rapid, not RRS in my earlier post) would have the same issue.
A tether would alleviate the risk.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
I've switched to using Peak Design Capture Clips whenever I can. The few times that I can't, I use a thin but wide-ish strap that is not stiff and doesn't take much room in my bag.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Regarding Blackrapid Breathe line of products, the anchor is metal, and very solid. There is a rubber insert between the anchor and the tripod mount, and it doesn't get loose. The long tele will be hung down (lens down).
When you walk around, there are two stopper clips on the strap, and you just slide them down to prevent 'swing' of the camera. If you mean 'hold snug', that's the very feature with Blackrapid strap has.
I use arca-swiss plate for each body I have, and attach RRS Lever Release clamp to the Blackrapid's anchor (with blue locktite).

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
https://optechusa.com/super-classic-sling.html

I currently use the optech super classic sling. It's actually a bit too beefy for my g9, but all in all, not too bad if you have gear on the larger side of the m43 spectrum.

1) it comes with two attachment points, so I'm fairly sure you could make one of them work as a tether if you wanted to, or at least as a point of redundancy. Personally, I think it's beefy enough that I'm not worried at all. The pad is also thick and reinforced.

2) it has a quick adjust buckle that allows you to cinch the camera tight to your body and release it back down to your waist/hip with one hand. This was the selling point for me.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
So I ended up getting the Joby Ultrafit and one of their safety tethers. The only thing I didn't care for is the huge threaded quick link on the end of the tether, I don't want it banging against the end of the camera so I picked up some of those Optech Tiny Mighty Swivels to replace the link. The strap came yesterday and the other parts are due today. I have a walk this evening, I'm hoping to have time to get it on the camera before I have to leave.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072F8TZ79?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Interesting, that Optech swivel seems to be repackaged fishing equipment.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/terminal-tackle/swivels-snaps-clevises/pc/104793480/c/104779980/sc/104616180/innovative-procureme-ball-bearing-with-coastlock/2962371.uts?slotId=8

When adapting or DIY-ing, I always find it's useful to look at alternative industries that sell similar commodity items. You can sometimes get much better deals.
I live 8 miles from Cabela's/Bass Pro and I went and looked. While they appear similar, the one thing that looks to be different (at least in the photograph from Optech) is the length of the snap clip that will go around the strap. The fishing versions will cause the strap to bunch, and it needs to slide. This may be true with all but the largest version, and in any event we're talking about $0.50. Not worth losing sleep over.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I live 8 miles from Cabela's/Bass Pro and I went and looked. While they appear similar, the one thing that looks to be different (at least in the photograph from Optech) is the length of the snap clip that will go around the strap. The fishing versions will cause the strap to bunch, and it needs to slide. This may be true with all but the largest version, and in any event we're talking about $0.50. Not worth losing sleep over.
Fair points! When I clicked your Amazon link, it looks like it automatically redirected me to the Canadian version of the site, which had it listed for double the price (far, far beyond the currency difference). I now recognize that US Amazon Optech and fishing versions are functionally the same price.

Forgive my impertinence.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One thing about the metal connectors, if the LCD screen is out, they may strike the LCD glass (damhik!).

I have the Mag-Pul (Sold by RRS for their newer L-plates with the QD hole.) with its metal QD push-button connector and strap sliders and it is overkill, imho. Basically, a military-grade gun strap and too heavy both. I also have had the push-button quick connect break loose with the E-M1X hitting the ground. Maybe one of the four balls in the connector wasn't fully engaged in to the L-plate hole. Not too crazy about it so I'm back to just using a hand-strap as the camera isn't that heavy, otherwise I'll bag it.

Someone sold me on the Black Rapid Breathe (Lightweight and clears one's neck.) strap along with just the Mag-Pul QD connector, but the heavy metal possibilty of striking against the LCD glass still bothers me. I see the Black Rapid is now offering the strap along with the Mag-Pul connector on their website now too: Black Rapid Breathe strap with QD.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom