1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need recommendation: 20/45/75 or 14/25/45

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by aukirk, Oct 22, 2012.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    First, I want to preface by saying that I know these types of discussions have been beaten to death on forums, and I really try to stay away from gear discussions when I can... However, I am really trying to decide what direction to go with my m43 set uo.

After converting to the m43 format with an E-M5, I picked up the 20mm pancake and then recently added the 45mm. I LOVE the 45mm, but the 20mm has felt too small in the hands at times.

While I really like the way it makes the system pocketable when I decide to go out with just one lens, I still have not gotten used to the feel of not having a lens to cradle when shooting. I am also not falling in love with the 40mm equiv focal length, as it feels too wide or not wide enough.

I shoot a lot of portraits and photos of children playing... for most general shots, I think I miss the 50mm equiv focal length, and for wide-angle landscape shots, the 20mm feels too tight.

I have been thinking about getting the 25mm, but feel I will miss the pancake lens. Therefore, I am thinking that if I trade the 20mm up to get the 25mm, I will also pick up a 14mm pancake. I was also thinking this would allow me to lust after the new Oly 17mm when it comes out and upgrade the 14mm to that if I decide I don't need the pancake size.

However, on the other side of the coin, I am really drawn to the 75mm. I am not sure how much I will use the 150mm equiv focal length, the I had also felt that the 45mm was going to be too tight, but find it on the camera more and more. For roughly the same cost as the 14 and 25, I could pick up the 75mm.

So my debate is whether to move away from the 20mm, or put that money to use on a 75mm? Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    For seeing if the 75mm focal length will match your shooting style, I would suggest either looking into a teleconverter, or a MF 85mm lens. Either one would be a fairly cheap option to see how much you like the sizing of the images it produces, especially compared to the amount of the native lens.

3. Acliff

Acliff Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    If some of the issue is due to handling on the Panasonic 20mm, you could try getting a metal/rubber hood. It certainly made me less worried about putting my finger on the lens element, and gives the lens a little more purchase.
    Although of course gripping the hood too hard might stress the AF motor.

I like the idea of the 75mm also, but the 150mm equiv. focal length is just not at all useful for me. I would have to change the lens to something else all the time, and I think I would get annoyed! Having said that, it could be the perfect lens for indoor sports...

4. enmrd

enmrd New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2012
    25mm rocks

I was in the same dilemma a few months ago.

The 20mm is a great lens but i had a constant feeling that the focal lenght was a little bit strange.

I sold the 20mm and replaced with the 25mm f1.4.

25mm is really a more "natural" focal lenght.

It's not only about the focal lenght but the contrast and the colors are stronger than the 20mm..

The only thing that i don't like about the 25mm is that it's less sharp at f1.4 (wide open) compared to the 20mm f1.7.

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    A suggestion: rent a 14-140 for a week. Shoot for a day at 14; a day at 25; a day at 75; and 3 days at whatever seems right at the time. Analyse the focal lengths used later.

You should get a good feel for what you prefer.

6. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Makes sense.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    How about the 12/f2, 30/2.8 & 75/1.8? :wink:

8. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I feel the same way. But I am confused that you then say you like 50mm equivalent since they are pretty darned close. I never much liked normal lenses on film cameras.

No doubt. The 14mm solves this problem.

Me too, though I cannot afford it.

Seems the solution here is an option you did not suggest: 14 / 45 / 75. This avoids the normal range that is neither one thing nor the other. I am currently using legacy lenses and shooting 14 / 38 / 77.

9. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Great detective/forensic work/analysis!

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I like 14/25/45 option. 75mm is way too limiting. I find 150mm eq. is basically unusable indoors or for typical family/travel photography. IMO, it's a special purpose lens geared more towards professional photographers perhaps. 25mm at 1.4 works great for portraits especially for children or indoors in limited space. I prefer 45mm cause it's capable of full body isolation (outdoors) and no face distortions at any distance (less important for children). Even though it's more limiting indoors (90mm eq.) I can still manage to work with it and the final look is worth it for me over Panny 25mm which I sold. Panny 20mm is not a bad compromise as one lens solution vs. 25mm+14mm. Yes, it is more limiting for landscapes vs Panny 14mm but you can take a few shots and stitch them in post. The DoF 20mm vs 25mm is very similar cause you can shoot closer with Panny 20mm but I much prefer Oly 45mm for shallow DoF anyway. My guess is if you go for Panny 25+14mm dual lens option, you'll find yourself constantly changing lenses unless you have a backup body.

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    New Oly 17, 25* & Oly 45 will be my main prime trinity.

* - you have a couple of choices for 25mm, Pana 25 being the popular choice.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I would get the 14 and 25 now to complement your 45. Later consider adding the 75. That's exactly the path I took, and I couldn't be happier with my lenses.

13. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    +1 14/25/45, as for later I'll consider adding 45-175 or 35-100 budget permitting.

14. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    This is the same approach I took. I just added the 14mm to my collection recently and I liked it a lot. I hope to add the Samyang fisheye and the Oly 75mm later on. I have asked around Melbourne stores to hire the 75mm for a day but most stores do not carry Oly/Panny gears. What a shame!

As for the zoom, I have an allrounder Panna 14-140mm. This does give me flexibility if I do not want to carry all the prime lenses with me :)

15. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Thanks for all the input. I've placed the order for a new 25, and am going to look for a used 14. I have the Oly 14-150 (only gets used outside during daylight), so I need to play with that set to 75mm before plucking down the amount they are charging for that.