Need OVF recommendations

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jun 9, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I was thinking of picking up an VF for my GF2 to use with my P14 and/or P20. There are a number of options but some like the CV viewfinders are a bit on the spendy side while I can pick up the Olympus VF1 and Panasonic VF1 for a lot less. I have an old Helios one but to be honest it's not particularly good so my experience with these things is pretty slim. Any thoughts?

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Funny you bring this up as I was thinking about trying one on my E-P3, after acquiring a Fuji X10. I'm so damn impressed by its OVF that I thought I'd like to try one just to see if it would take away or improve the experience. If possible a multifinder that could work for a 12/25/50 would be ideal for myself.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Unfortunately, good viewfinders aren't cheap..... But before you start shopping, you should decide if you need a plain direct optic viewfinder or a bright line one. Voigtlander ones are probably your best bet.

One option for the Panny 14 (equiv 28mm) is the one that was originally designed for the Panasonic LX3 on the wide:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ic_DMW_VF1_DMW_VF1_External_Optical_View.html

Its actually a 24mm viewfinder but 28mm could be approximated. I use it with my 24mm Elmarit and although its a bit small, it is adequate for me.

There are also the older turret style viewfinders (with several focal lengths) like this one in my collection:

but they are big bulky and "squinty". There are also some older ones on ebay... many from the soviet era (Fed / Zorki ??) but I rarely see one at the 28mm focal length.

4. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    One more thing to consider, viewfinders designed for 35mm cameras have a 3:2 ratio, not a 4:3 ratio. This can make visualizing the image in the viewfinder a little difficult.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been using the GF2 with the LCD without any problems I was just thinking it might be fun to play with. That said, I'm not interested in paying more for an OVF than the LVF1. I'd probabaly just pick up an LVF1 if it came to it. It may not be as nice as the Olympus VF2 but I've used one previously and it is a lot nicer than most people realize.