Need opinions on real world experience with the VF-2 & VF-3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jorge Ledesma, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Hello guys/gals

I need your opinion on this VF-2 & VF-3 issue I keep reading about in dpreview re: the VF-2 being able to fall out of its position relatively easy, how true is this. I'd hate to pay for a VF-2 and be ridden with silly solutions to make it stay in place.

I have a GF1/LVF1 and I never had that problem, although I can imagine a huge weight difference between the VF-2 and LVF1. Anyway, I also see the VF-3 has a nice lock which is obvious Olympus recognized the problem and decided to nip in the bud asap.

Now the question is VF-2 or VF-3 and be happy with the latter at its resolution. My goal in an EVF is to replace my GF1/LVF1 combo. The LVF1 was fine and it kind off like it but I've never even experienced the either VF-2 or VF-3.

My goal is to shoot with some manual lenses I have but have an overall easier time versus the LVF1. I presume both the VF-2 & VF-3 will be night and day better than the LVF1 but relative to the LVF1 how much better is the VF-3 in real use. Also how much better is the VF-2 vs VF-3 in real use as well.

I still have not decided on which Olympus body to settle with but its either an EP2 or EPL2.

Thanks for any insights here.

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I have the VF-2: yeah, it's easily undone from the camera, and don't pick it up by the VF-2 either- it will fall off the body. I use small bits of black duct tape to secure it, and have never had a problem, as it's on there 90% of the time. The VF-2 is actually quite very light. I would cry if I lost the VF-2 (I got it when it was new, and paid the premium price for it- which could get me like 2 1/2 ebay 14mm f/2.5's today :wink: )

The resolution on the VF-2 is great, although I haven't compared the two, I doubt most would say the VF-2 (resolution wise) is better than the LVF-1.

From my understanding the VF-3 has the same resolution as the LVF-1 (could be wrong though).

• Like Like x 1
  3. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks for your insights I appreciate it.

5. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
  6. Wes7

Wes7 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Lesotho
    I bought the E-P2/VF-2 combo recently. I wouldn't want a lower resolution VF than the VF-2 I don't think. I looked at the VF-3, and I am happy with my decision. If you go used, the price difference is negligible.

As far as the worries about it coming off, I have not experienced any issues. Mine is a pretty snug fit. If it develops issues, I think a little electrical tape on the rails or a dummy cord will resolve them to my satisfaction.

• Like Like x 1
  7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    My VF2 stays on all the time and has never fallen off. Maybe if you add and remove it a lot it loosens the area and makes it easier to fall off. So far so good with mine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Very snug on my E-PL3. Can't imagine it falling off unless i let the camera hang from neck while running a 10k race. I dont use neck strap with it, so. Yeah. Enjoy the VF2 most on sunny days and when using legacy lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My VF2 has also been tight on my E-P3. It's only come off once, taking it out of a Crumpler Haven that's squashed pretty tight into the shoulder bag I carry so getting the camera in and out is a bit of a squeeze. It pretty much lives on the camera and it's never fallen off in actual use.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use the VF-2 on my E-PL2 and E-PM1 and attach/remove it all the time. I keep it in a pouch attached to my hand/wrist strap when packed, along with my EMA-1 mic adapter. It feels very snug on both cameras, and has never threatened to come off.

PS, I would ggest getting the E-PL2 over the E-P2. The build quality and thumbwheel of the E-P2 is very nice, but pales in comparison to the better performance attributes of the E-PL2.

I have looked through the VF-3 a number of times but don't own one, so I can't give too much direct comparison but can offer a little bit of insight on quality difference. The biggest thing is that the view size of the VF-2 is larger. It's like the difference between the E-5 and the E-30 if that helps.

11. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I use the VF-2 on both E-PL2 and E-PL3 (less so on the last one due to the very convenient tilt screen though). Really love it for very sunny days..! Never had any issues with it falling off, fits very good and tight on my cameras... Never used the VF-3, but the price difference (in Holland at least) is (given the difference in resolution) not big enough in my opinion to go for the last one...

12. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    VF-2 on E-P3 very snug fit, will not fall off with regular use. I've read that using pliers to squeeze the two sides in a snug will tighten the hotshoe mount if it loosens up over time. I've never done it or felt the need to do it, but others have and that seems to solve loose fit issues.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The guy at precision did a very good demo of how snug it was. I don't know how much it loosens up over time. But I use a Panasonic ovf in the hot show for my 12/2 and it's never even sorta slipped out. It's been in there for months.

--

also, it the 3 locks so you wont have it fall off, but then it has the HUUUUUUUUUUGE diopter adjuster that im perpetually having to readjust because EVERYTHING seems to spin it
    a butterfly in thailand once flapped too hard and my diopter spun round ;)

14. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong

I have the lvf1 on my gf1, and the vf2 on my ep3.

the Lumix LVF1 is rubbish if you want to compare pixels with the Olympus VF2.

(from what i remember, LVF1 = ~170,000 pixels compared to VF2 = 1.2Million Pixels)

also I forgot but i thought the VF3 was around 700,000~900,00 pixels.

So just to clarify and correct any mistakes towards that.

the VF2 is so much better than the LVF1, and the VF3 would still be a better choice resolution wise.

now the GX1's LVF2 would be a more better comparison with the VF2.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I have and use the VF-2. Cannot compare it to the VF-3 or the Pannny because I don't have either of those. So here's my take on VF-2...

It's absolutely essential when shooting in bright sunlight, but I don't find it necessary at other times. I don't shoot the street subjects you seem to prefer, but if I did it seems that VF-2's articulating feature would be a very good thing to have.

Yes, it does come off easily. Even though mine fits snugly on the E-PL2 -- snug enough that it seems like it will stay there -- it has fallen off several times. So now I use an elastic hair band to hold it on securely. Wrap one end around the back of the VF-2, stretch it out and wrap the other around the lens. Don't especially like this solution, but to my mind it's better than the duct or electrical tape solution others have mentioned.

VF-2 resolution is fantastic! It's the only reason I bought the VF-2 instead of VF-3. Both were available at purchase time, but I chose to forgo the locking mechanism in favor of the better resolution.

Does it help with manual focus? For me, it really doesn't. Yes, it's somewhat beneficial with m43 and 43 lenses because I can set the magnified view to engage when I touch the focus ring. But I seldom use those lenses in manual focus mode, since the AF has been spot-on in every instance so far.

I don't find VF-2 very useful with legacy glass, because then you must engage the magnified view manually, and it's easier for me to use the LCD when I must push the button to enlarge the image. YMMV, of course.

Some folks maintain that using a viewfinder helps you stabilize the camera. They're correct, of course, but IMO there are other ways to accomplish the same thing. And those are more convenient for me.

Although I was raised in the "old school" for more than 40 years -- using legacy cameras with only a viewfinder -- that's been very annoying since I began wearing glasses 15 years ago. One of the big reasons I like m43 is because the LCD makes viewing and composing with eyeglasses much simpler.

Even though some of these thoughts seem negative, I think the VF-2 is still an essential add-on for any PEN. And everything I've read or heard from others tells me it'll be more useful than the VF-3 in spite of the non-locking attachment shoe.

• Like Like x 2
  16. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I don't always use it, but my VF-2 has never fallen off.

• Like Like x 1
  17. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Maybe oly changed the hot shoe slightly on the ep3. My vf2 is solid & secure, & gives firm resistance when I try to remove it. Anything will wear over time but with fairly new gear it is not going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  18. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I am on my second Vf2. Don't know what happened to the first one. Either it fell off or I removed it and misplaced it. Either way, lot of money spent on EVF's here.

As to the virtues of Vf2 vs VF3, there is a smaller field of view in the newer model. I've used them both. While the VF2 is bigger/nicer. I could get used to the VF3. Easy to see the shooting info or to manual focus.

At current US pricing, they are $209 and $179 respectively. You get more EVF for the extra $30, but the locking feature would be important to me. I hope VF3 pricing drops under $149 in a few months. I believe it had been as low as $160 last fall.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    for a quick response I have both VF2 and VF3.. not that much difference.. the VF3 has lock switch.. and the VOF is about the same.. both accomplish the job for a EVF..both are great.. the VF3 is cheaper.. if had to buy another... I would get the VF3 because of the Lock switch.. I could not use a camera comfortably without a EVF.. especially in bright sunshine light..

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I have not tried that but have thought of that.. makes sense.. put the pliers to it.. make it tight and it won't fall off.. I can't believe Oly didn't install lock switch on VF2 to start with.. oh well..