Need opinions on 85mm from owners

mr_botak

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
David
I've had two OM 85mm. The first an early silver nosed version was fair, but really needed to come down to f4 before it shone. The current one is a version 3 lens, actually usable at f2 in the right circumstances, but by f2.8 is fabulous.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't think hanging 513g (plus mount adapter) off the front of an E-PL3 is a good idea!

The Nikon AI(-s) 85mm f/2 looks like a decent option. Oddly, the going rate for this lens is much less than the nFD, OM or MD lenses, and yet it is for the F Mount, which is still in use, when the other 3 mounts have been superseded and abandoned. I would have expected the opposite.

It is because how many are out there. But yes old Nikkors are still usable to a certain extent on current bodies, wish other brands did the same.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I don't think hanging 513g (plus mount adapter) off the front of an E-PL3 is a good idea!

You don't. You hang the camera off the back of the lens. When using a big heavy lens, you mostly hold the rig by the lens, not by the camera.

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse
You don't. You hang the camera off the back of the lens. When using a big heavy lens, you mostly hold the rig by the lens, not by the camera.
+1

Wrong stance for manual lens :banned:
8120936974_359e0c1cc8_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Right stance :thumbup:
Action_photography_tips_pictures_of_planes_CAN65.masterclass.claire_shoot.jpg

:tongue:

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Yes, glad you said it RnR and dougjgreen! :2thumbs:

I have been using Konica Hexanon AR 85mm F1.8. They are one of the best constructed lenses (I personally love the make and feel of them). Adapters are cheap and plentiful for them. Very sharp and produces creamy bokeh. On the plus side, they are quite small compared to other 85mm lenses that I have tried, so they go well with m4/3 cameras. On the down side, they are usually quite rare and a bit pricy. I see them sometimes listed on Ebay for around 400$, but if you can find one for cheaper, then its a steal.

I have been quite happy with my EE version (the older, all metal one), and take it with me everywhere. Not quite as happy as I am with my AE version 50mm/1.4, but that may be because of the newer coatings. It takes a little more processing to get as much contrast out of the 85mm, but it can be done with similar results. They both have the sharp but cool Konica colors. Good for a more "commercial" look (as opposed to warmer lenses like the Zuikos for instance). All in all, a very good lens.

konica_hexanon_85mm_1,8_web.jpg

(and for reference, here's the newer AE version 50mm/1.4):

konica_hexanon_50mm_e-pm1_web.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom