1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need opinions for Vivitar & Voigtlander 28mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Zac, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Zac

Zac New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    Hi,

I'm currently seeking a 28mm adapted lens for my E-P5 (indoor portrait), budget is less than 500.

I've seen many threads discussing between Vivitar, Zuiko, Minolta, Kiron, Pentax 28mm F2/2.8 ... etc, and also know groups of ppl doing comparison on Voigtlander with Zeiss or Leica, but haven't seen a thread discussing image quality between Vivitar (or OM, MD...) and Voigtlander (not the native lens designed specifically for m43). Is it due to the price level, and certainly the CV is better than Vivitar or other similar price level products?

It seemed that the Vivitar 28mm 2/2.8 has quite good reputation, but CV 28mm 1.9 has very nice photo samples on flickr as well. The price of CV 28mm 1.9 is higher than majority of others mentioned in the front (except Zeiss and L) but still affordable for me, so I was wondering if it is worth to spend extra ~300 to get CV or simply unnecessarily.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Vivitar was just a front name for various makers. Kiron, Komine, Tokina. I'd bet the Voigtlander would be a better lens. I had a Kiron 28/2. It was soft open and prone to flare. Have you considered the 30 2.8 from Sigma?

• Like Like x 1
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Do you want a $400 lens, or a $40 lens. It seems rather bizarre to compare the former to the latter.

The $400 lens will be better - but maybe not that much better at apertures from f4-f8. It will certainly be better at f2-f2.8

Your money, your choice. Frankly, I would not waste $400 buying a 28mm manual focus lens that will have half of it's field of view cropped out when used on Micro 4/3.

Might I suggest you simply buy a Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens - you can get them for about $125. It will auto focus rapidly and accurately, and it will be sharp wide open.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zac

Zac New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    Actually i only consider F2 lens, i understand that most of the 28mm f2 lens are soft wide open, but 1/2 stop down (F2.5) is probably good enough for me, and I don't really care the flare since this is for inner portrait use. The reason why the sigma 20 2.8 is not in my list is that in case I have APS-C mirrorless in the future, these MF 28mm lens become 42mm equiv with F2 aperture, which is really close to one of my favorite m43 lens - Panasonic 20mm 1.7 (too bad it has banding issue on newer Oly bodies)

5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Why not a legacy 50mm for portrait? Nikon 50mm f1.4 is substantially less than $500.

FWIW - I have the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 on a new Oly body - no banding issue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zac

Zac New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm sorry that i didn't state my need clearly in the post, currently I already have 17mm F1.8, this is good enough for casual use, and I will buy another P 14-140ii for trip. The issue of 17mm is the image quality is not as good as 20mm 1.7 (already sold, if the 20mm has no banding issue, i might not want to buy additional portrait lens), and the bokeh is not evident if the subject is standing 2~3m away, which is not ideal even for amateur portrait.
    Therefore F2.0~F2.8 will be the aperture range i really need. And any equiv. length larger than 60mm would be too far for taking shots inside a room.

Besides that, i'd like the equivalent. length to be around 40mm in APSC format,
    I used Fuji X10, X-E1 before, the color from outputted jpeg is perfect enough, but focusing is slow and inaccurate, if they improve a lot some day in the future, big chance I'll use their camera again, and I don't need to sell all of the current lens.

But thanks for your suggestion,
    Sigma 30mm F2.8 is acceptable, but not ideal for me.

7. Zac

Zac New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    The reason why i didn't buy 20mm is that there's no universal statement on the appearance of the banding, > iso 3200 for most of the cases, iso 1600 for some cases and few on iso 800. Sometimes ppl didn't see the banding until they tweak some features during post-editing.

And the equiv. length of 40~60mm is the range i like for inner portrait (please refer to my previous reply)

8. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Check out the. Vivitar Series One 28/1.9 MC from, I think, 1978-1981. Floating element, rich colors, very sharp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. Zac

Zac New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
  10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Opps - I clearly missed your earlier post :/

$1000 answer - Metabones Speedbooster for Nikon with a Voigtlander 40mm f2 - effective 57mm f1.4 on m43 bodies. Compact too. But if you don't have other lenses in the Nikon mount, well its an expensive solution.

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I definately like the Komine made Vivitar 28/2 I have. I have the close focus version (goes to 1:5).

12. Zac

Zac New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    I found two websites that have comparison between Minolta Rokkor and Voigtlander lens,

Asian website (please discard the text description unless you understand lol)
    http://bbs.powerapple.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=879928&extra=&page=1
    Although they are not 28mm, but it seems like the voigtlander suffers more purple fringe and a little bit softer than the Rokkor in larger aperture.

Another website CV 28 f1.9 v.s Rokkor 28 f2 (they are not tested in the same day same conditions), but i couldn't tell too much differences.
    http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/149102458
    http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/150061150