1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need opinions about switching to mainly mu43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, Oct 22, 2012.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Although all of this is ultimately my decision, I have noticed that some on this forum enjoy expressing opinions and I would like to offer them an opportunity.:smile: Also, I sometimes miss the obvious.

I’m thinking of finally selling off my Pentax DSLR and lenses (most of them) and making my primary system mu43. (This has been practically true for a while but I was hesitating.) So, I need some opinions:

Lenses: I have the 14, the Olympus 14-42 II and the Lumix 45-200. I would like a longer prime like the 45 or the 60. I’m leaning toward the 60 because it has a bit more reach and the macro feature.

Bodies: Now it gets hard. I currently have an E-PM1. One of my hesitations with going to mu43 exclusively was high iso performance. Like it or not, a lot of my shots are at 1600 and I could probably use 3200 more than I do. It just seems that my photo adventures lean toward lousy light venues. I was thinking about the Pentax K30 DSLR since the DPR raw shots are pretty good up to and including 6400. The EM5 samples seem pretty good at 3200, however, and I don’t really make big prints. Now, however, that new sensor will be in the EPM2 and the EPL5. I find I can shoot away happily on the E-PM1, so I guess I could just get the E-PM2, use the EPM1 as a backup and put the money toward lenses. (I also have a VF2.) The extra features of the E-PL5 don’t tempt me, but the EM5 is not all that big and the IBIS, weather-sealing AND those extra features make quite an upgrade. BTW, I have tried the Lumix bodies (G2) and I just didn't relate to it; hence my consideration is only for Olympus bodies.

I typically shoot a little of everything except sports. Opinions?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I personally didn't get along with the OMD, and like you, found some of the features vs. the trade off in size and cost not worthwhile. (For those who have and love them OMD -- this is not a universal statement. It is meant as a personal statement. Clearly the OMD is beloved by many) Having said that, I always cringed when I shot at 1600 on the EPM1, with really 1250 being the useable roof in color because of chroma noise. B&W could go to 1600 easily.

With the OMD, 3200 was useable in color. Very little chroma noise. Also, I could pull shadow details out much more easily on the OMD than the EPM1. I never went beyond ISO3200, because my shooting style doesn't need it, and I favored the primes, so they were plenty bright enough.

If you like the EPM1 form factor, you will find the output to be much better with the EPM2 and it will be worth the upgrade, if you often bump up to 1600 ISO. The touch screen, if you haven't used one yet, you might also find a real help.

I cannot, however, comment on whether you can replace your Pentax with it. I would start with the question -- what Pentax lenses do you use and prefer most?

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm not really asking about switching from Pentax. That's just my call, and I realize that I just wasn't grabbing the larger camera. I'm more curious about which new Olympus body, the E-M5 or the E-PM2. Opinions about the 60 are also welcome.

4. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    The 60mm is getting some really impressive reviews (mine arrives tomorrow), but the 45mm might be more suited to you if you shoot in low light a lot, as might the PL25mm f1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Oly 45 vs 60 is a tough call. If you don't do much macro, I'd get the 45 for its small size and speed advantage. If you like macro, the 60 is an obvious choice.

Like you, I don't see a lot about E-PL5 that makes it more appealing than E-PM2. Flip screen isn't that important to me.

The improved IBIS is really nice to have on the E-M5, so if the added size and weight aren't an issue, that's the one I recommend. I find myself getting away with lower ISO values very often because of how good the IBIS is. I personally love how tiny the E-PM series is with a lens like the Pana 14 or Oly 45, so I'd be torn between that and the E-M5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What about the Panny 45? (or is that too expensive)

I think the PL45 has a pretty good IS system, I find it's color and rendering very nice (I liked it better than the O45), and it is also a macro. Used, it's pretty affordable and has the same filter size as the 14 (if you use filters), though the 60 would, of course, provide you 33% longer FL.

• Like Like x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Price and speed. I'm sure it a wonderful lens, but I don't think I'd see the IQ difference in my work, and I can't see paying more for a slower lens. I do lean toward the 60 for the extra reach, but especially the macro capability, which I miss with my current selection.

Assuming the E-PM2 has the current IBIS system, I was wondering about how much low light shooting advantage i would get with the EM5 system. I would still have the E-PM1 for a more "pocketable" body. I was surprised how small the EM5 was when I checked on the excellent camera size website.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    On the lenses - depending on how much you do macro. I shoot macro rarely, so I got a $50 legacy macro (in my case a 50mm 2.5 Canon FD macro) and a $20 adapter, then you can get the faster 45/1.8. Just a thought. Don't mean to confuse the issue (well, I guess I do mean to, otherwise I wouldn't post :)

edit: that's a 50mm 3.5 Canon FL lens, before anyone goes looking for the 2.5 version ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    No, this is exactly the kind of ideas I wanted to hear. You know how this works: lots of talk and then one random comment is your answer.

10. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Another option for occasional macro - I bought a Raynox DCR150 adapter for £30, clips onto any lens and gives pretty decent results:

This just ate the postman! - Mu-43 Gallery
    (That's on an old OM135 I think)

The 45mm is a lovely lens:
    P6042871-pub-39 - Mu-43 Gallery

When you say the e-pm2 has the 'current' IBIS system - it's the same as the epm1/epl3 generation, nowhere near as good as the em-5.

Just to add to the mix, I 'upgraded' from an epm1 to epl3 and you'll pry a tilting screen from my cold,dead fingers! Although image quality's the same the extra control and ability to shoot high/low made a huge difference in how much I enjoyed the camera.

Personally I'd say go with the 45mm and an e-m5 - but I'm biased by that being exactly my current upgrade plan ;)

I bought an older OM100 for fast tele reach, I don't think the few times I need longer than the 45mm justify the cost for me and there're sooo many other lenses I lust for! The 45mm's a great fun lens for just wandering about with on the camera - any longer and I'd get much less use from it.

11. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Another option for macro shooting would be the Oly 45 plus the new Kenko extension tubes. There's a thread somewhere on the forum with shots using this combo and they look absolutely terrific! (If I can find it, I'll edit this post later.)

Edit... Found it! Those pix are in this thread....

The Kenko tubes are a bit pricey (somewhere around $180 US, if I remember correctly), but added to the price of the Oly 45 you'd still come out near the price of the Oly 60 macro by itself... and you'd end up with a faster combination that's useful in more situations.

• Like Like x 1
  12. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Wow, that's one hell of a thread! Thanks.

13. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Keep your Pentax stuff if you can afford to. Once its gone you will never get it back.

Best regards,

Bokeh Diem

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've thought of that. It may end up just a matter of money. Or, I could sell the K7 and keep the FA135 2.8 and the FA 50 1.5. I have an adapter, and the 135 would be a very fast MF tele.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    This looks like a pretty good option. I'll keep it in mind. Your shots with the 45 and extension tubes were awesome.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    OM-D is a menu quirky (at least for me, as a first time Olympus owner), but image wonderful camera.

I routinely shoot at 1600 and sometimes 3200.

Brea Jazz Festival
    GRAA0276.
    OM-D w/ P 100-300 @ 162mm, 1/350, f/4.6, ISO 1600

Downtown Disney
    _GA10020.
    OM-D w/ P 100-300 @ 201mm, 1/350, f/8, ISO 3200

For a bit longer reach, (pushing the optimum envelope for portraits), The Olympus 75mm is one hell of a lens.

San Francisco
    [​IMG]
    OM-D w/ O75mm, 1/1500, f/9.5, ISO 400

Brea Jazz Festival
    GRAB0315.
    OM-D w/ O75mm, 1/350, f/2.8, ISO 1600

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    PS- I am very pleased with the OM-D IBIS:

Relay for Life
    [​IMG]
    OM-D w/ 45mm, 1/6 (handheld), f/2.8, ISO 1600

G

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Also, if u only rarely do macro, you could try a $25 CCTV lens. I comes with macro screw on ring thingies.
    Shrug!

- Eliot@Austin, TX

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Well, I made one decision so far. I ordered the Oly 45 1.8. This is a better walk around lens, and the Kenko extension tubes are a good (future) idea. Now all I have to do is decide between the E-PM2 and the EM5. The IBIS discussion has again sent me into indecision. ;-)

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I could drag out my answer for half a page :wink: but the short version is that if I shot everything but sports (I DO shoot a lot of sports), I would sell my Nikon FX/DX gear and go totally m4/3 at this point. The bodies are there...the lenses are there...they are a total joy to use and the results are fabulous.