1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need opinion - trading lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bwidjaja, May 31, 2012.

1. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Hi all,

I am new to the forum, but have been using m4/3 since G1 came out.
    My current lens collection include:
    Oly 9-18
    Panny 20
    Oly 45

I am looking to trade the Panny 20 with the PanaLeica 25mm mainly for faster AF and slightly better IQ. However, that means i cannot afford to keep the Oly 9-18. I do not mind trading it with Panny 14mm since it will give me a small and relatively faster wide angle (albeit no zoom).

Any thoughts?

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I sure do like your current lineup - I would stand pat. 20 is a very good lens, and 9-18 gives you so much flexibility. And the 45 - wonderful portrait lens!

• Like Like x 4
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I've been thinking about the same set of lenses as you...currently have the 20 and 14, thinking about both the 9-18 and the 25. You can see some of the suggestions I received here - Yet another lens advice thread

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    As Chuck suggests... keep the kit as is until you can afford to buy the 25/1.4 that you desire. Then you can decide whether to sell the 20 or keep both the 20 and the 25. I see enough merit and difference in what is offered by both the 20 and the 25 to keep them both in my kit.

The swap you suggest gives up a LOT of creative photographic range and capability to gain very, very little.

• Like Like x 2
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Agreed - you could add the 25 down the road and still have the 20 as a pancake.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I just love the 20mm to bits. I don't care if there's a lens that might be slightly better than it. I just wouldn't get rid of it. Especially if it means giving up the WIDEness of the sweet zoom. I'd sit pat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 20mm is a pancake. The 25mm is not. I wouldn't say one lens can replace the other. So as others have said, keep the lenses you have until you can afford the Summilux.

8. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    save up and add the PL25/1.4, don't give up what you've got

9. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I have not used them but from my research I really don't think the 25mm is enough of a step up from the 20mm to warrant that big a sacrifice. The IQ of the 20mm is very good and remember that the 25mm is a Leica optical design but still very much a Panasonic product so it is not the exotic, hand built product that carries a true Leica badge. As such it is much larger and less convenient and less than one stop faster. Other than slightly shallower DOF there is probably little real difference in the images produced.

If you really want the 25, then I think the earlier posters who say start saving are probably on the right track.

• Like Like x 4
  10. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.
    I think i would agree that P25 may not be worth the upgrade from IQ perspective alone.
    And given the bigger size, it is less convenient.

However, I find the P20 AF a bit annoying to be honest. If AF is faster, i dont think i would ever consider changing it.
    Now for the wide angle, Oly9-18 is great outside and for travel. However, as soon as I get indoor, it's speed is too slow.

So the thinking goes, I can use P25 for low light and faster AF.
    I will use P14 for convenience, walk around, and small package.

I am not sure I would keep both P20 and P25, because they are too similar in FL and in my case, one will be sitting unused.

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I have the exact same set of lenses! I wouldn't be so tempted to swap for the 25mm, to 20mm is a better FOV for general photography imo. The AF is a bit dreadful though, at least for a M43 lens. It always sounds like it's about to break, it's so noisy and harsh sounding. However it performs just fine in general use, as long as you don't need to be stealthy!

12. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Seems like most people suggest to keep the 20mm.
    Now, is there a discussion of how much faster the AF of the Panny 14mm compared to the 20mm? I might just use the 14 for the quick snap of the little ones.

13. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well I'm on the other side of the fence, I had the 20 and kept it for 5 months after buying the 25. I finally decided to sell it, as I used it once in that five month period after attaining the 25. The AF of the 20 was he final nail in the coffin, I missed too many shots waiting fr AF lock. It is a great lense, but the 25 meets or beats in comparison in all aspects except size. Even my 17 AF locks faster, and is just as small, and offers a better FL for me. If they ever make a 2nd generation 20, I'll definitely try it but I know my 25 is my most used glass.

14. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Much written here about the 14; it's a favorite of many, especially when mounted on one of the smaller μ43 bodies. It's slower than the 20mm by about a stop, but faster AF. If the little ones are in motion, though, the slower shutter speeds are going to work against you. Nice field of view, very compact.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That would certainly work out. The thing you will be missing out on is that you'll be restricting yourself in focal length when you carry your "small package". Try looking around for a small camera bag which will house the camera with 14mm where you can plop the 20mm into a small front/side pocket. These pancake lenses are really small and take up hardly any extra space, but a second lens can provide a big difference in framing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Grinch, you are not helping...hehe. Thanks for the input.
    Chuck, i agree with you; so i may need to increase iso in this case.
    Ned, if I end up with 14 and 25, I would mount the 14 on E-PM1 and the 25 on GH1, and not changing lens unless i need to use the 45.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For sure you won't need it when you're using two bodies... but you mentioned using the 14mm "for convenience, walk around, and small package." A small package would not require a second body. Aren't there times you want to go out with just the smallest kit possible? Your Mini with Pancake lens is the best ultra-compact package out there! Those are the times I'm talking about, where having a second pancake in a front pocket will greatly improve your capabilities. I'm not talking about when you have the GH1 and Summilux with you as well. ;)

This is what makes system cameras with interchangeable lenses so great - the ability to customize our kits to each situation. Having a broad lens collection allows you to do that.

18. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Ned, agree. In that case, then i would not even bring a second lens...just the E-PM1 and P14. I will be somewhat limited, but free from having to change lens... :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    And you'll have a kit that fits nicely on your belt:

7337322746_119b2498e8_c.
    Small kit by crsnydertx, on Flickr