Need OMD- EM5 Tutor Southeast Michigan

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cazzie, Mar 16, 2013.

1. cazzie

cazzie New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2013
    I have recently purchased an OMD and love it, however would appreciate some time with a tutor who can walk me through settings/menu navigation. If you do this or know of a photographer who has the OMD and can do this in the greater Detroit or Ann Arbor area, great!
    Thank you!
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Cazzie, welcome to the forum.

I'm local in S/E MI and have an EM-5, but don't feel qualified to instruct others on using the camera :frown:. I'm not much of a tutor. The good news is that once you have the menus set to meet your requirements there won't be much need to go back into the menu structure. Most everything can be handled via the external controls, the MySet options, or the Super Control Panel.

You might find some helpful instructions here:

User Guide: Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5: Digital Photography Review

David Busch has written a 'how to' guide for new EM-5 owners:

David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography: David D. Busch, Dan Simon: 9781285429960: Books

The full user manual can be found in .PDF form; it's quite a bit more detailed than the quick setup guide that comes with the camera:

And of course there's a ton of help here on the forum. If you have specific questions just ask - I'm sure someone who has the answers will respond.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Welcome, Cazzie! I'm in Lansing, but not much of a tutor either. Frmrvette has pointed out several good references. I got my EM5 before the David Busch book was released, so I've not seen it. But the DPReview article was invaluable when setting up my camera. :smile:

It's nice to know there are a few Michiganders into m43 here. Perhaps someday we can schedule a meetup. :biggrin:
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Tere's this video doing just that for the Olympus PEN...tehre's a few errors and differences, but you should get the gist...also covers the Oymus wireless flash system:
    [ame=]An In-Depth Look at the Olympus Pen Camera System with Wireless Flash - YouTube[/ame]
  5. Jangir

Jangir Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Welcome! There is also a good guide Olympus OM-D EM-5 - Fast Start | creativeLIVE . The author John Greengo explains all about the camera. But it is not free. There are usually discounts when he introduce new camera online and on the day of presentation the cost of other courses he presented previously goes down.
  6. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    +1 for John Greengo's seminar.

You can watch the introduction for free to see if you think it's going to be worth the full purchase price of $50. I bought it yesterday and have almost finished watching it all. I'm happy with it although there are some sections where I was glad I wasn't completely new to the camera.

Edit: Of course once you've bought it, you can watch it as many times as you like so it's probably best to watch it once, use the camera for a couple of weeks, and then go back and re-watch the areas that weren't completely clear first time around.