1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[WTB] Need Nikon DX kit lens dirt cheap | Location: USA

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by entropicremnants, Jun 17, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Buy & Sell Listing - Want to Buy
    Selling</br> Need Nikon DX kit lens dirt cheap
    </br>Location</br> USA
    </br>Description</br> Here's the deal: have a friend whose husband left, lost his job and won't pay any child support. She is dirt poor right now.

One of her fun things to do is photography and she has an old D40 that works well but her lens is belly up.

What I need is any kind of cheap DX "kit" lens and it doesn't matter if it is Sigma, or Nikon or whatever. It just needs to be AF-S compatible because the D40 isn't a manual focus dream and has no "screw drive" for the older AF lenses.

If anyone has anything let me know. Not sure what the budget is here, but I'll be helping her out some -- all the same, looking for something at the bottom of the price range and as long as it works it doesn't matter at all what it looks like.

Thanks,
    John
    </br>Offering</br> Low
    </br>References</br> ebay: entropic-remnants
    </br>Acknowledgment</br>
    • I have read and agree to the Buy and Sell rules.

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    You're going to have an issue with the combination of AF-S and Dirt Cheap.

Other than the kit 18-55mm and 55-200 lenses, nothing really fits that description. Most of the genuine bargain lenses in Nikon space don't have focus motors. That's why I kept my D50. It's the last of the low-end Nikons that had it's own motor and compatibility with AF-D lenses. There are tons of bargain lenses that camera can use.

3. entropicremnants

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    True that unless someone has some cheapy Tamron or Sigma that works. She had the 18-55mm non-VR version before the kids whacked it. I think that was the standard kit with the D40. She'd be happy to have one of those back at this point.

Ironically, I gave my old one away 4 months ago, lol. And that one was VR. Wish I had it back now!

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

0   0   0

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    John,

Has this lady had any luck in obtaining a lens?

Regards,

Jim

5. entropicremnants

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Not so far. Had an offer on a tele zoom but she really needs the wide zoom.

Thanks for asking.

6. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 96.6%
    29   1   0

May 20, 2013
    I'd check KEH for used lenses, as well as ebay. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a 18-55 non-VR for $50. Good luck with the search!

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Check your local Craigslist. You'll find tons of people selling off the kit lenses, since the lower end Nikons don't come body only. I don't agree that you'll have any issues with finding lenses that are both AF-S and dirt cheap. Even the 18-55mm, Nikon's cheapest midrange lens, is optically great, with the only shortcomings being the build quality and the focus speed. As mentioned, KEH has that lens in the $70 range, in case you can't find anything locally. Your "step up" option is the 18-105mm, which isn't any optically better but has a more convenient range, image stabilization, and a little better focusing system. If you can get an 18-70mm or 18-135mm locally for a great price they are also worthwhile but lack image stabilization, and are a little older so make sure to check them for damage.

As far as the telezoom you mention, which one was it? The 55-200mm VR is a worthwhile lens to pick up, but the non-VR version should probably be skipped.

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

0   0   0

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I don't have a zoom but P.M. sent about another idea for the lady.

Regards,

Jim

9. entropicremnants

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Very generous and thanks but that's the manual focus lens she already has and she struggles with it on the D40.

Do appreciate the offers of help though! Still hoping for a kit lens ridiculously cheap at some point, lol.