Need narrow DOF?

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran
It doesn't sound right. A max aperture of 50/0.26 and a front lens diameter of 45 mm seems physically conflicting.

In any way, industrial lenses like this one are usually highly optimized for a very specific magnification and/or wavelength. They can give 'interesting' results when used for photography, but they don't qualify as a general imaging lens.

nseika

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lois
Doesn’t understand German. Is “Sill” the name of the manufacturer ?
What kind of job is this lens originally intended to be used for ?

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for finding the spec sheet.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is indeed a fixed magnification telecentric machine vision lens. According to the spec sheet, its design mag is 0.25 (and not the aperture!). The maximum aperture is specified as NA=0.03, or f/16. Probably optimized for LARGE DOF.

Sometimes we read what we want to read, and not what is meant...

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Conrad said:
Sometimes we read what we want to read, and not what is meant...
I see that the lens is engraved in large letters 50/0.26, which (conventionally) most of us would read as Focal Length/Maximum Aperture

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Quite right, "Sill" is one spelling of "cill",
I googled for "sill lenses" and "sill correctal", which quickly brought a more useful range of hits
I'd still be interested to see what sort of image this lens would produce mounted on a :43: camera ...

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran
I see that the lens is engraved in large letters 50/0.26, which (conventionally) most of us would read as Focal Length/Maximum Aperture
I guess we all did, at least I did too. Apparently for the application area of this type of lens users are more intersted in the mag than the aperture.

What I thought was the funny part of this whole story is that somehow the fixation with fast lenses has driven a lot of people (including the seller!) to immediately assume that this was the lens' speed, even though a quick glance at the spec sheet would have told you otherwise. The size is also impressive, which of course adds to the credibility of the assumption, but is not needed for the aperture, but for the telecentricity.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
This c-mount selling frenzy and price gouging is just so humorous. I remember looking around on the auction sites nine yeas ago. I found an old 16mm camera, without lenses. I actually thought about getting into Making some 16mm movies because the price of the equipment, especially the lenses were so darn cheep. I had picked up a Canon c-mount zoom lens or five bucks. I still have it, and since the micro mount came about I checked to see the same lens selling for several hundred dollars.
Wish i had a crystal ball back then to tell me all this . I could have gotten lots of fast C-mount lenses for so cheap.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom