Need info regarding sources to get Panasonic Equipment

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Praki, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Praki

Praki New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2010
    Hello all:

I am converting to the Micro 4/3 rds format. I try to take landscape photographs and help non-profits and NGOs in publicity and training material. This also involves shooting and editing short videos in addition to photographs. Since it is unlikely that I will be printing images larger than 16x20, I decided to shift to the new format since I can get what I need without a compromise.

I would like to get a Lumix G1 body only, Lumix GF 1 body only and 14 - 140 mm lens and the 7 - 14 mm lens. All the dealers on the net seem to offer the cameras in a kit form with the 14 - 45 mm lens which I am not interested in. All the vendors I contacted (included B&H photo etc.) have the 7 - 14 mm on backorder with no expectation of when it is available. I live in the USA. I thought this would be straightforward but I am running into problems getting body only. So I thought I would get some advice from the group.

Also, I was going for GH1 body instead of a G1 but I read that the build quality on the GH 1 was not as good as the G1 (Japan vs China according some) - has this been the experience of any of the members?

Have any of the forum members any suggestions where I can get the above combination of bodies and lenses - without getting kits with lenses I do not want or need.

Thank you in advance.

2. matmcdermott

matmcdermott Mu-43 Regular

The GF1 body alone is available from at least one seller on Amazon:

14-140 also in stock, alone:

7-14 also in stock, including one used:

G1 body alone am coming up short, but if you can bend and get the GH1 you can get it with the 14-140. If your stuck on the G1, I'd be surprised if there isn't someone selling the body used.

Good luck.
  3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I dont think Panasonic has technically offered any of their bodies for sale without a kit lens (in whatever form, based on the camera body...i.e. 14-45 with the G1, 14-140 with the GH1 and the 2 kits with the GF1). Anyone selling a body only has likely parted the kit out, which would make it grey market. Have you thought about buying the G1 and then selling the 14-45mm? I have looked on ebay in the last few weeks and they sell for around $250-300 on a regular basis, meaning you would end up buying the G1 for about $400, which seems pretty reasonable (based on the black G1 kit on amazon for $650).

Kit lens issue aside (unless as suggested you opt for the GH1), as was also indicated both the 7-14 and 14-140 are available direct through (both direct and from several 3rd party sellers).

Edit: I just checked quick and there is currently one G1 blue body (with bag and 2gb card) under $350 from a US seller on ebay - sounds like a good deal to "panasonic G1 body" if you want to check it out, there are only a handful of hits from that search (didnt want to link in case that is against forum rules!)
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I wouldn't pay any attention to Made in Japan vs Made in China or GH1 build vs G1 build. My advice is to just get a GH1 kit (GH1 & 14-140) and GF1 kit (GF & 20/1.7). If you don't like the Pana 20/1.7, you will have no problem selling it.
  5. Praki

Praki New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2010
    Lots of good suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions.... I checked the Amazon site for the 7 - 14 ... says a waiting time of 1 - 2 months. I'll try what you folks suggested including the eBay.... should have thought of it.

Glad to see this site .... hope to post some pics soon.
    Thanks again.

6. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    The only difference I've read about between the two countries of manufacture are more failures of the strap lugs on cameras made in China. That involves the G1 and GH1. My G1 was made in Japan and so far the strap lugs are fine.