1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need ideas deciding on new camera

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ardenbc, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ardenbc

ardenbc  

Mar 6, 2012
    Charlotte, N.C.
    I recently sold my m43 camera, and and now looking for a decent low price used/refirbished Pro compact. I mostly shoot Macro and allot of low light shots.

My budget is $300 to $350, feel free to offer ideas.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You can probably find a used LX5 (and definitely a nice low mileage LX3) for that.

3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Canon S90 or S95.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I didn't know a "Pro" compact even existed. The Canon G11/12 boasts "pro" image quality in a compact package, but I wouldn't consider it a "pro' camera. (I am assuming, as you have sold your "M43" camera, that M43 is not a consideration.)

G

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Canon S95
    Canon G12
    Olympus XZ-1
    Panasonic LX5
    Fuji X10

That's in no particular order. Choose by features and price, and be happy. Consider used or older models if you can't find anything in your price range.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The usual suspects: S95/100, G11/12, LX3/5, XZ-1. Maybe also the HX9V.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    with a budget of $300-$350 I think perhaps the list could be narrowed down to LX3, LX5 and S90/S95 (all used). Doesn't one of the Samsung's have a really bright lens?

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Samsung TL500 (EX1). 1.8 at 24mm; 2.4 at full zoom of 72mm.

It's a very nice and somewhat unheralded camera. Deserves to be in the "high end P&S" discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Leica D-lux 4, though the zoom range is short, and you probably won't find it for the money you want to spend. Folks have already mentioned the Panasonic LX-3, which is basically the same camera with different firmware. For the Leica jpegs, though, I never regretted spending the extra money.

I'm curious, though; why did you get rid of your micor 4/3 stuff?

10. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Im about to post a great Pan G2 for sale...too bad you dont want m4/3

11. ardenbc

ardenbc  

Mar 6, 2012
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Thanks for all the great feedback. Does anyone have any experience with the e-420? I know it's older but i have a chance to get it really cheap. $120 like new with kit lens. And then thinking of adapting some of my old hexanon's to it. Just a thought.

12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    4/3 cameras can't mount Hexanon lenses without doing significant cutting and modifying to the lens. In addition, you now have all of the shortcomings of m4/3, with none of the advantages. It has the same size sensor as m4/3, but older technology which means reduced sensor performance. You are also focusing and metering through an optical viewfinder instead of an EVF or LCD, which is much better for precise manual focus work.

At that price, look at the poster above me, he is selling his G2. It is a better choice for mounting your old Hexanons. It's the camera that I use for all my manual focus work, and I would arguably call it the third-best m4/3 camera for adapted lenses, behind the GH2 and E-M5.

13. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    The e420 has live view, so it wouldn't be a issue of precise manual focusing. Also you can mount the lenses, it just won't have infinity focus, so if you are just using it for macro purposes or portraits it could work.

For 350, you can get a refurbished Pen Mini with kit lens and adapt your hexanons and probably AF a lot faster than your 420.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Also, why don't you post up your exact situation so that people here can help you? You seem to be jumping to conclusions without knowing what you want. You sell off your m4/3 kit, why? It is easy to assume that you want something more pocketable because you want a point and shoot, but that can't be the reason because you're suddenly jumping up to SLRs.

15. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, but a G2 (or other m4/3 camera) gives you live view through the viewfinder. And you are still losing out for general photos if you're using the kit lenses on 4/3.

16. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    With a regular four thirds, you can get lenses like the 30 macro or the 25 pancake for not much money. Under the the 350 budget.

Also you benefit from phase detection autofocus with these lenses.

17. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You don't have to sell me on the benefits of an SLR, no micro 4/3 camera today could make me give up my ancient Nikon D200. :smile: A 4/3 SLR could be decent, if he gets the camera in good condition for the price he mentions. However, he'll be way over budget looking for a better low-light zoom lens (14-54mm, 12-60mm, 14-50mm, etc), and it's also a bad idea once you throw Hexanon lenses into the mix.

18. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Agree with all but this...

Hexanon lenses are actually fairly easily modified for 43s mounts and retain full infinity focus. There are numerous "how-to's" on the net.

19. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    The folks at seriouscompacts.com would have a lot of info on this and may help with your decision.

FWIW, my wife loves her S95 - it's good in low light and seems pretty capable with macro.