Need help with Windows Photo upload

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Used to be when I plugged in an SD card photos would open (Still does) and ask me what I wanted to upload (still does). I would click on my choice, usually 'all items since last imprt' or 'all item', and it would upload them. (Still does).

What it doesn't do is put them in a new folder. It used to create a new folder with the date. Now it just dumps them in the photos folder. I have looked all over and can't find the setting, it has to be something simple. This must've happened after an update because it asked me what I wanted to do with with cards when I plugged it in.

Any help?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Used to be when I plugged in an SD card photos would open (Still does) and ask me what I wanted to upload (still does). I would click on my choice, usually 'all items since last imprt' or 'all item', and it would upload them. (Still does).

What it doesn't do is put them in a new folder. It used to create a new folder with the date. Now it just dumps them in the photos folder. I have looked all over and can't find the setting, it has to be something simple. This must've happened after an update because it asked me what I wanted to do with with cards when I plugged it in.

Any help?
Stop using Photos! Can't stand it!

Open your SDcard in Explorer. (Open everything in a new window!)

Dump everything from card in a temporary folder you have on your desktop.

Open your preferred permanent location. For me, a folder called, originally enough, "Photography", on my desktop. When you want to backup, just drag it to your external drive/drives.

Sort your stuff as you please. (Make your folders as you need them, different camera, etc.)

On my Pentax cameras I get a dated folder directly on the memory card, for instance.

I just normally put jpegs where I like them, and in that same directory I make a subdirectory to put my RAWs in.

Speeds up viewing (I use Windows Picture Viewer).

Don't trust Windows with what you can easily do yourself!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Thanks, too many steps. Plug the card in, hit download, walk away. I have a system, just want to do what I've been doing for years.
That's just to get the routine started.

In use it's not nearly as many steps.

And doing things manually frees you from trying to fix things later, as they are correct from the get go.

Just my five cents...

Best of luck with your fault finding!
And I still don't like Windows Photos.

"Do it my way, or the wrong way.
It's a free country, they say!"
😁

andy darbyshire

Mu-43 Regular
I have an result for this problem. Make sure that your settings are such that when you insert an sd card it asks you what you want to do, click import but at top left hand side on page click on "change destination" open new folder in pictures name it and click add to pictures then click import and your pictures will go into the new folder you have named. Thanks to my tame computer fixer for this info.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I have an result for this problem. Make sure that your settings are such that when you insert an sd card it asks you what you want to do, click import but at top left hand side on page click on "change destination" open new folder in pictures name it and click add to pictures then click import and your pictures will go into the new folder you have named. Thanks to my tame computer fixer for this info.
Close, but not what I'm after. The computer used to create the folder and name it without my input once you checked the box. Do it once and every upload afterwards would be treated the same. They've changed it. I asked my SIL IT guy to check it, and after some investigation he says they've changed the program. What's really asinine is that the earlier versions of 10 did the same thing and everyone complained, so they changed it to the way I want it, and now they've changed it back. Idiots.

Anyway, I've adopted a new method, similar to what Erich said but less clicking. I've set all temp drives including cards, USBs, etc. to do NOTHING and turned off auto play. Now when I want to upload, the steps are:

Create new folder with desired name in Photos, usually something like "2020-12-22"
Open the card in Explorer.
Select all, drag and drop to the new folder.

This also appears to be faster, although I have yet to come from the race track or airshow with 1,000 photos, so we'll have to wait and see.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
^^^^^^
I shouldn't think that Windows can write files faster to disk when it is doing it automatically then when it is doing it on user command. Probably.

But going via Explorer cuts the overhead from Photos.

Earlier you were asking Photos to ask the Explorer API to do the copy operation.

Now you're asking it yourself.

Last edited:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
^^^^^^
I shouldn't think that Windows can write files faster to disk when it is doing it automatically then when it is doing it on user command. Probably.

But going via Explorer cuts the overhead from Photos.
Perhaps not, and there may be one other thing too, but there are so many variables involved I need to test. It seems like when I uploaded via Photos it reduced the DPI. I am going to take a couple of shots and upload both ways and check. Could just be my imagination, like I said a lot of variables.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Perhaps not, and there may be one other thing too, but there are so many variables involved I need to test. It seems like when I uploaded via Photos it reduced the DPI. I am going to take a couple of shots and upload both ways and check. Could just be my imagination, like I said a lot of variables.
Told you I don't like Photos!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom