1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need help with printer choice

Discussion in 'Printing' started by hitman21988, Mar 8, 2013.

1. hitman21988

hitman21988 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I hope i post this in the right section. I'm looking for a printer that is primarily for photo printing but has a built in scanner. Reason why it needs a built in scanner is for making color or BW copies for the family. I been looking at some printers but I'm not sure what to be looking out for when buying one. I have done some research and found a Cannon one that i liked, and with in the price range too. (Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Color Inkjet Wireless Photo Printer 6228B002)

So recap:
    1. Price range max of $300ish but can be more if the product justifies the price(nothing crazy,more of $100+ max).
    2. if all possible be able to have a scanner built in or what do you guys suggest?
    3. It probably a dumb thing to put but be able to print regular school papers and stuff.
    4. i dont need fancy fax built in or other stuff just what i have listed above.

I hope i made sense of all of what i have said. Any help or advice you guys can give would be must appreciated :2thumbs:.

2. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    anyone? 71 views but no help? is this one of those things where you kinda research and piece them all together?? i dont mind as i have been searching just thought i could save a little time and get help pointed in the right direction. any input would be great on a base point to start looking at :) or opinions? either way ill be grateful

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the Canon MG6250 6 colour printer & scanner (wireless) . It adds a grey into the standard set of colours plus a pigment black & makes lovely prints (much better than an earlier model without the grey). They also made the MG8250 that could scan film neagatives & slides, but now I believe there is a later model with the MG6350 now available (with different cartridge types again). See here for this model. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/...xma-mg6350-review-multifunction-disc-printer/

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have a Canon Pixma 9000 mk2 at work and it is a very good printer. The Pro-100 is the printer that replaced the 9000. Not sure what all is different although it uses different ink cartridges. a printer like this is optimized for printing high quality and printing large, it prints up to 13x19 inches.

If you want a good printer for high quality photography it will NOT have a scanner on top. Just like if you want a really good scanner it will not be on top of a printer. Also if you want to print school papers then get a $50 printer from Walmart for that. Sounds like you are wanting a very good general purpose printer. I notice that B&H has the Canon PIXMA MG8220 on sale for just $124.99. We have one of these at work for printing DVDs and it does that really well!.

5. Ross the fiddler

That's where I found the Canon MG6250 was a good compromise. It does both reasonably OK (quite good actually).

6. speedandstyle

Thanks! With B&H having such a great price on that printer I am going to get one for home. I would have bought it already but it is the Sabbath and B&H's website doesn't allow ordering. Come Sunday however I will be all over it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ross the fiddler

Just remember the ink cartridges don't hold a lot of ink. I would also check how it compares to the new MG6350 too. Canon Pixma MG6350 review - Multifunction printer, scanner and disc printer - PC Advisor

8. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    Well i guess getting a scanner with the printer is out of the question and will have to have two printers to get what i need. So what do you recommend for photo printing? was the one i had a link to up above a good one? or is there something better for around the same price range?

9. speedandstyle

As I said that is a good printer from all the info that is out. It is new so there are not many reviews yet. However it is basically an updated Pixma 9000. The other brand that has a very good reputation is Epson, at least for photo printing.