Need Help with Panasonic 14-42 X focus!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Sachtler, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Sachtler

Sachtler New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2012
    14-42 X

Just wondering if someoe who owns this lens could confirm something for me. I just bought it and I'v noticed that the focusing is a bit "rougher" than all the other Panasonic lenses I own. As in.. When you focus you can hear it, and while it's fast it does a super quick search before it locks focus. Seems to be working ok it locks focus correctly but the focusing isn't as nice as the 14mm..

Can someone who has this lens confirm that it's not broken? Thanks.

Another quick note is.. The lens does lock focus correctly, it just seems to do a very quick search before it locks focus which neither my 14mm or 45-175 do.. When it locks focus it's correct.. If I lock focus with my 14mm and then press to focus again it just stays where it is and the green focus confirmation box appears on the screen.. If I lock focus with he 14-42 X and then half press the shutter again it will take itself out of focus s(only for a split second) and then lock focus again.

I imported this lens, and I just thought I'd ask and hopefully someone can help me (maybe test theirs against their other panasonic lenses) as I don't want to send it back if there's nothing wrong with it.
  2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    My only experience with this lens was Dec last year when it came with my new GX1 as a kit lens - I kept it for about 3 weeks and wanted to like it but - I had problems with poor focussing at long end of zoom and searching to focus so returned lens to dealer but kept body (I do still have my original Pany 14-45 lens that is supeb).

Interestingly, the shop had received another lens with the same issues back 2 days before as well as others previously and it has been documented that there were some issues with the eralier batched lenses that may well have been resolved.

I would check it is focussing correctly at all focal lengths and if notn then a definite return should be your course of action, if the problem is only one of of refocussing on half press then you need to consider if it is suitable for you - the lens appearsv to have been designed more to favour the video and this has impacted on still image results.

The old adage should apply, follwo your gut feeling and if not happy return it - it is not a cheap lens to buy.

Good luck
  3. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Sachtler, I've had this lens for a while and I also own most other u43 native lenses. I'm guessing that your opinion is a bit skewed by your familiarity with the Panny 14mm. That lens is well know to have one of the fastest most silent autofocus of any u43 lens. On the other end of the spectrum you have something like the Panny 20mm (beautiful lens of course but not know for fast focusing). I find the 14-42x somewhere in the middle but closer to the 14mm than the 20mm. Maybe a bit slower to focus than the standard 14-45 zoom. I don't think your lens is broken if it does lock focus at all focal lengths. You can check your serial number to check the "vintage" of your lens. I did that to confirm I had the newer batch that seems to improved a bit on the dreaded double image and blurry image at lower shutter speeds due to to shutter vibration. I think that is a bigger problem with this lens but it appears to be minimal on my copy with the OMD (know for the soft shutter mech). You can search and find plenty of threads on that subject. All in all, I think it's an under rated lens if you needs something at minimum size and a decent zoom range. I use the 12-35 when I need a normal range zoom now unless I need to put the camera in a pocket. Even before the 12-35, I would use the stock 14-45 over the 14-42 when size was not a concern. But when you want a minimum kit size, I don't think you compromise too much IQ by using the 14-42x ( aperture size on the other hand is a different story). I sometimes just leave that lens on my OMD and leave it in my backback in case a shot presents itself. But as Iansky says, follow your gut and return it if you are not happy. You will not be alone in returning that lens.