1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need help with Olympus Viewer 3 OV3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JoyousMN, Jun 12, 2016.

1. JoyousMN

JoyousMN New to Mu-43

May 29, 2016
    Joy
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and new to digital photography. I purchased an Olympus EM 10 Mark ii camera and am working with the Olympus Viewer 3 software. I've read through the manual, but can anyone point to to more extensive documentation or tutorials on using this software?

Thank you very much.

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    There isn't much out there and Olympus has nothing helpful that I've found. My best advice is to play with changes to your RAW files and see what various settings give you. When you have a question about a setting, ask on this forum and several people will give advice on various settings. I'm still on a steep learning curve myself but am willing to try and help. I've only just started to get a handle on the sharpening tools, having always used the sharpening slider instead of venturing into the multiple interrelated settings.
    Have fun and ask lots of specific questions. We may be able to build a user guide on OV3 someday.

3. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
  4. JoyousMN

JoyousMN New to Mu-43

May 29, 2016
    Joy
    Thanks. I was afraid people would confirm there's not much out there. I did a bunch of google searches, but came up with very little.

I'm pretty good with photoshop, so I'm familiar with many of the tools. Most of my question are around file management and work flow processes. I'm not sure I'm doing things efficiently and correctly. I'm importing from the camera fine, I can edit my pictures and export them, but then tonight I started getting, "The linked file is missing" for images from a particular shoot. I can see the photos in my file explorer, but I cannot find a way to relink them. I'm also concerned that these pictures are in a folder named "Saved pictures." I might have named it that, but normally I would use either the date, or a more descriptive name, so I'm worried that I somehow messed up as I was working on the files. I haven't deleted much because I'm still figuring out the management.

On a related note, are the edits I make are saved with the file? Or do I have to do this manually. When I open OV3 my edits show up with the photo, but what happens if my system were to crash and I had to reload OV3?

Thank!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G'day JoyousMN. Perhaps you could take some screen shots of what you're doing in OV3 & that may guide us better to understand what you're doing & to help you. Are you using PC or Mac with OV3 (I'm assuming PC)? Also, are you importing your images into folders or albums. If folders (which is what I do & always through OV3), then where are these folders stored? Down the left it should show the list of folders & you should click on the folder your using (after downloading your images) so you can then see all the files in that folder & also it sets up where the edited images are saved. If you don't it may save the edited images in the last folder you were looking & working in (in OV3). Let's see some screen shots & I hope we can help some more.

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I don't think OV3 works like "non destructive" editing apps like Lightroom, Apples's Aperture/iPhoto/Photos, or those types of programs where when you make edits, you don't actually change the original, you just create a list of edits that are then applied to the photo each time you open it in those applications.

With OV3, I believe you open your photos and edit them, but unless you export an edited version, all those changes will be lost if you exit. And you can not save edits over the original RAW file if that is what you are using. Not sure if that applies to working with JPG files though.

Although I have only played with OV3 a little, so perhaps I am missing that there actually is managament/non-destructive editing functionality???

7. Ross the fiddler

Actually, the last edits are remembered (& can be reset) on the original file. So I can go back to them a week or month later & still see the edits & crops I last did. I can then change one of them for a different output with all the other edits still being applied.

8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ah, thanks for that. I probably didn't notice it since I haven't played around with it that much and so don't recall ever going back to the same photos with it.

I keep meaning to play around with OV3 more as I think in some instances I have found its processing of my RAW files give much better colors and texture than my usual work flow which is just iPhoto on my Mac. In many other instances I find iPhoto's implementation of my Oly RAWs are as good as OV3 so use it for the bulk of my stuff. But there are those few times where playing around with OV3 I get something closer to what I envisioned when I took a shot when using OV3.

Another feature I knew about but kind of ignored it the keystone correction. I started to play around a bit with some of my older shots in OV3 to see how well it corrects those leaning back buildings. Impressive. I have now added the keystone function to one of my camera's function buttons to try and get in the habit of using it more while shooting. OV3 showed me its usefulness as well as showing me you really need it ON at the time of shooting so you frame the shot correctly with the keystone on. With older shots I am finding that while it can straighten up things, that I didn't shoot the shots with keystone in mind I end up with a straight, but severely cropped scene.

And also I simply want to better understand OV3 in general. I feel it could be a very educational tool to understanding the in camera adjustments that can (and should) be made at the time of the shoot. While I shoot RAW, the goal is always to try and get the shot as right as I can right out of the camera. As mentioned here, documentation or tutorials of OV3 are almost non-existent, so sometimes I get frustrated with it and give up for a while (and its awful slowness with no indicator that it is still working on an adjustment makes it even worse).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ross the fiddler

That is one of the things that I have tried to tell others that have dismissed it (keystone) as as gimmick. It then ensures the raw file is covering everything for an edit in another program if desired.

I use OV3 most of the time but Capture One when better editing is needed, especially recovering highlights or shadow.

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Just like the cameras, OV3 does not support keystoning in both vertical and horizontal directions on the same photo. For some architectural shots this is essential, so a program such as Photoshop is still needed for those.

11. Ross the fiddler

That's true. Here is a JPEG taken at Sydney Vivid without any Keystone adjustment & resized in OV3.
    full.
    To get a full Keystone correction I have used Capture One (Pro 9) & the following two screen shots show it being done (with the first resized in OV3). Note: I didn't do it as accurately as I could have with this one.
    full.
    And after being applied.
    full.

And the final image from CO9 (& resized in OV3).
    full.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    That's neat the way you show it done in Capture One.
    The end result is so very much better when done properly like this.

13. 211Oakland

211Oakland Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2014
    I assume you mean that you use it to preview the keystone corrected image, so that you can be sure the resulting crop doesn't eliminate something you need to preserve in the image? neat idea. The E-M5 II does do both vertical and horizontal adjustment, but it's in software. I think there might be something you can do with the sensor shift, but maybe that's Pentax.

BTW, the latest Lightroom CC introduced some impressive perspective controls. Even the auto one works very well. I used DxO Viewpoint, but maybe now I won't have to. And Ps CC has content aware fill, so it can put in sky for example if your perspective correction chopped some out.

14. Ross the fiddler

Yes, doing it in camera first allows the adjusted scene to be seen so intended parts won't be lost or cropped later when done in software.
    I don't think the E-M5II would do it differently to the E-M1 which can do it in either direction, but not both at the same time which is also how it can be done in OV3, unless I need to go back & try it again.

15. Ross the fiddler

Actually, that was overdone (in my opinion) just to show how much it can be pushed in CO9 & this adjustment (in CO9) is nearer to reality for me.
    M6066845_CaOne_adj_2-s.
    And similar (almost) as done in OV3.
    M6066845-adj2-s.

16. JoyousMN

JoyousMN New to Mu-43

May 29, 2016
    Joy
    Hi all,
    I didn't get back to this thread right away, sorry. Thanks for all the replies. I'm using OV3 on Windows 10. I started out using the library view, but I switch back and forth, as some things seem easier in one over the other.

It sounds like there isn't much help using OV3 outside of forums like this. The program is pretty robust, but it's not always intuitive. I've used Photoshop pretty extensively, but I love the feature that keeps the edits you've done on a file without having to save it. But now I need to change to a new computer. Is there a way to move OV3 to a new machine and KEEP those edits to my images?

17. Ross the fiddler

I don't know of any possibility but under Tools, the Database allows clearing of the cache. Maybe you might be able to get a copy of the cache perhaps, but I'm not sure that would help though.

18. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It doesn't look as if it is the cache that holds the editing data, it just seems to hold JPGs.
    It is almost certainly somewhere in here, so you could try copying the whole lot.
    C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\OLYMPUS

19. Wolfman53

Wolfman53 New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2016
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I had a very frustrating time with OV3 carrying out uploading of images from camera, basic (very) editing and uploading to flickr. It took me 7 hours to process 260 images! Now I admit to struggling with IT at the best of times but there must be an easier way to process. All I need is something to carry out slight adjustments of JPGs a simple way of organising the into albums and upload to flickr. The frustrating thing is after 7 hours I still don't know if I saved the original or edited image!! Can anybody suggest an idiot proof more intuitive alternative? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

20. JoyousMN

JoyousMN New to Mu-43

May 29, 2016
    Joy
    Thanks very much! I'll give it a try and let everyone know if that works.