1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need help with milky way for tonight

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by greye05, Sep 15, 2012.

1. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Hello guys tonight i will be attempting to gets some shoots of the milky way in a astronomy event. Light pollution will be at a minimum and the conditions in the sky are supposed to be clear. So any suggestion on how i can take the photo for the best result, this is my first time trying this and i I'm let say a noob at this photography learning some every day.
    I will be using my Lumix G1 with a minolta 50mm f1.7 that's the only lens i have and a Tripod. So any help before the night will be appreciated
    THX

2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Per recent article by Mark Muench, try

ISO 1600; f2.8; 10/20/30 sec.
    Manual focus

IIRC, once you get in the 30 second area, you start to get movement in the stars.

3. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    ok thx man, I read something about stacking photos or auto bracket??

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe

Incorrect. You'll get star trails at 6 seconds with a 50mm (100mm 35mm equivalent). Refer to the rule of 600, which states 600/focal length in full-frame will start giving you trails. The higher aperture you go, the darker your image will be. Ideally you want the widest aperture, fastest lens you can get. My best were with the 14/2.5 (12./2 would have been better).

5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    If you want to stack you'll need to take sequential dark frames of the same exposure values afterwards. I wouldn't bother with bracketing for this type of thing. There is a recent extensive thread on here where a lot of people were talking about this very topic.

https://www.mu-43.com/f88/astrophotography-m4-3-what-have-you-got-29340/

6. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    For Millay way you need to be at least 20mm on mu4/3, I took some at 45mm the other night & you get a small piece of sky.
    At 50mm 10 sec might be okay, or 12, look at preview from first sub.
    I don't know if I'd go ver 800iso with a G1.

Don't worry about dk frames, for your short exp just leave long NR on, you can download DSS after you have finished to stack images. One sight with a tutorial on it is Assign observatory

7. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I'm going to shoot the Milky Way tonite with both my Nikon D300 and my E-M5.

For E-M5, I plan on using the Panny 20/1.7 lens and shoot individual images using Live Time function, keeping the aperture at 1.7 and adjusting the ISO as needed while keeping SS below 15 to prevent star trails.

For the D300, I want to shoot a sequence of 300-400 images and then use Deep Sky Stacker to process them. I'm not sure what my settings should be for this though. I'm figuring f/2.8 (using my 17-55 lens); focal length at 17mm; ISO 1600; and SS around 1.5 seconds. Then shooting some Dark and Bias frames too.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on these settings? Particularly for the D300 since I won't be getting any instant feedback as I'm taking the shots.

Thanks!