Need help with G9 Custom settings

dshombert

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Shombert
I'm having a problem with the menus on my new G9. Specifically, I want to save the current camera settings to one of the Custom settings, say G1. The user's guide (PDF downloaded from Panasonic) says (p.121) that I should go to the Custom menu, the one with a C and a wrench, and choose [Cust. Set Mem.]. On my camera, this choice does not exist, or at least it doesn't show. The five choices that appear in this menu - again, I'm talking about the one with the C and the wrench - are as follows:
  • Exposure
  • Focus/Release Shutter
  • Operation
  • Monitor/Display
  • Lens/Others
The choice that the user's guide mentions, [Cust. Set Mem.] does not appear under any of these. Maybe it should, but it doesn't. I do find the [Cust. Set Mem.] choice under the "other" Custom menu, the one that has only the wrench icon, but that seems to only allow me to recall an already stored C1, C2, etc. setting, not store the current settings in one of those. Maybe I'm overlooking something, or misinterpreting - ? Firmware is updated to the latest version.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No it is under just the Plain Wrench. First Item. Probably the printed version did not get updated with software updates.

dshombert

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Shombert
Yeah, I saw that. Apparently the problem here is that I have a different idea than Panasonic does about how to word something. When I go to the [Cust Set Mem] choice - as you say, in the "wrench only" menu - and choose that, it calls up a list of C1, C2, etc. If I choose one of those, say C1, I get a screen that says ""Overwrite current camera settings with Custom Set 1?". I had interpreted this to mean that it wanted to bring up what's already been stored in C1 and set the camera to those (stored) settings, whereas what I wanted to do was sort of the opposite, i.e., store the current settings in C1 (as opposed to recalling them). One "overwrites the current camera settings with Custom Set 1" by simply rotating the dial to C1. Some experimenting reveals that what Panasonic really means is "Store these settings as C1?" That seems like a better way to put it, but maybe that's just me.

dshombert

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Shombert
Thanks, Mike. When I said "I saw that" (above), I was referring to D7k1's post. Yours came in as I was typing it. As you can see, I'm anal about clarity in communications. Thanks to both of you.

Gojigirl

New to Mu-43
Thanks, Mike. When I said "I saw that" (above), I was referring to D7k1's post. Yours came in as I was typing it. As you can see, I'm anal about clarity in communications. Thanks to both of you.
Hi, I had exactly the same thoughts as you. I just went ahead and overwrote the settings and tested it and it did work. However...... what I did was use the C1 to change AF Custom Set 1 (as set out in the Panasonic AF Guidebook for taking pics of wildlife...), the AF Custom Photo menu is only enabled when the Focus dial is set to AFC. But when I changed C1 back to Aperture priority on the top left dial, still using AFC mode on the focus dial, the AF Custom Set I still had the settings for the C1! So... I don't suppose you have any clue why? I suppose I need to start a new thread.. Useful video though wasn't it.

Gojigirl

New to Mu-43
Just short of 3min in for the info

Thanks Mike. Useful video. However, I don't suppose you have any clue about how to get the camera back to the 'non-C1' settings do you? I.e. when I turn the dial to A it should go back to the non-C1 settings, is what I'm saying. Basically I set the Focus dial to AFC, and changed the AF Custom Set Menu 1, to reflect the wildlife photography options set out in the Lumix AF Guidebook (https://www.panasonic.com/content/dam/Panasonic/Global/Learn-More/lumix-af-guidebook/LUMIX_AF_Guidebook_1809.pdf), but if I then turn the dial back from C1 to A for example, and leave the Focus dial at AFC, when I check Set 1 in the camera menu (not something I really want to do each time lol), it still has the settings I put in for C1. The only way to get rid of those settings is to press 'reset display' each time IF i want to use AFC. I guess, as that little AF Custom Menu only shows when the focus dial is set to AFC, that the settings won't apply anyway when using AFS/AFF..... If you can shed any light at all I'd be grateful! Many thanks.

Thanks Mike. Useful video. However, I don't suppose you have any clue about how to get the camera back to the 'non-C1' settings do you? I.e. when I turn the dial to A it should go back to the non-C1 settings, is what I'm saying. Basically I set the Focus dial to AFC, and changed the AF Custom Set Menu 1, to reflect the wildlife photography options set out in the Lumix AF Guidebook (https://www.panasonic.com/content/dam/Panasonic/Global/Learn-More/lumix-af-guidebook/LUMIX_AF_Guidebook_1809.pdf), but if I then turn the dial back from C1 to A for example, and leave the Focus dial at AFC, when I check Set 1 in the camera menu (not something I really want to do each time lol), it still has the settings I put in for C1. The only way to get rid of those settings is to press 'reset display' each time IF i want to use AFC. I guess, as that little AF Custom Menu only shows when the focus dial is set to AFC, that the settings won't apply anyway when using AFS/AFF..... If you can shed any light at all I'd be grateful! Many thanks.
Sorry i cant help its been a while since i sold mine

Grumpy

New to Mu-43
I think my GX8 is similar and this initially confused me too, so here's an attempt to lay it out clearly. The prompt in the Panasonic menu system is very confusing. As an earlier poster pointed out what it really means is 'Do you want to store the current camera settings as a custom setting?' (The opposite of what it actually says.)

The procedure is as follows. Please note: at no point in this process do you need to turn the mode dial to one of the C settings.

1. Set up the camera the way you want it to behave in the custom mode.

2. Use the menu system as described above to store those settings in a custom mode.

3. Back out of the menus and return the camera to your 'normal' settings.

Step 3 is important and causes confusion if you don't do it!

Once you have done all of that, turning the mode dial to the relevant C setting will invoke the setup in stage 1. The camera will remember the settings you had when you left the PASM modes and return to those when you turn the mode dial back to a PASM setting.

Also note that if you are in a C mode and you change a setting that change will NOT be remembered unless you repeat step 2 above. If you turn to a PASM made and then back to the C mode, you will get the stored settings not the 'tweaked' ones.

Hope that helps a little?

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I'm not sure I understand the question. To clarify:

After programming one of your custom modes, when you return to aperture mode, the camera still displays the custom settings?

If I'm reading that correctly, it would when you initially set it up. The camera retains the least settings you put in even if it's shut off. If you choose your settings to store them, it's expected that the settings you programmed would still be in whatever mode you used to program them from.

However, in use the camera will switch back and forth. It will apply your custom presets in C mode and whatever setting you were currently using in your standard mode. You can prove this by going into one of the modes (you mention A so use that), and taking some photos making sure the settings are different than C. Then when you switch back and forth you should get your custom settings in C and whatever you left in the camera in A.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom