Need help with EM-5 problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by redclayhalo, Sep 25, 2014.

1. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    I need some help with an issue I have discovered with my EM-5. I recently purchased a new lens (Sigma) and when I mounted it on the EM-5, the camera did not display an image in either the viewfinder or screen. The shooting parameters still displayed but no image through the lens. Also I noticed that the lens did not seem to power on as if it does not have proper connection through the contacts on the lens mount. I initially suspected that the lens was at fault since I had never experienced this with my current lenses. However when I removed the new lens and mounted one of my current lenses, the problem was still there. I powered the camera off and on several times but no change. I eventually removed the battery and that restored the camera to working properly. I then remounted the new lens and it also worked correctly. At this point I thought maybe it was just a fluke, so I powered off the camera and tried to repeat the fault. Unfortunately, I was able to recreate the problem. Another thing I noticed is that once the problem occurs, the only way to recover the camera is to remove the battery.

I have searched the web but I can't seem to find anyone else with a similar problem. I hope someone here has some advice.

I am not keen to send the EM-5 in to Olympus for repair as it is well out of warranty so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Bryan

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Are you up to date on the latest firmware on the EM-5?

3. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    Yes, the firmware is version 2.0

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    My E-M5 recently locked up on me in a similar fashion. Unless it continues to do so on a regular basis, I will chalk it up to a fluke. It is annoying, but until is becomes a problem, I am not going to dwell on it.

Good luck,

--Ken

5. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    Thanks for the response Ken. I will see how often this happens before I decide to take action. My budget will probably force me to live with it unless it is too frequent.

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have two E-M5's that I use infrequently as my primary body is now an E-M1, so I cannot say if this is a significant issue, or a one-off problem. I susepct that if it was a frequent issue, there would be more posts about it, so we may be in luck.

Good luck,

--Ken

7. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    Do you have this problem on both EM-5 bodies?

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I'm told Sigma lenses have a much slower boot time, and maybe the SD card plays a factor,. Try the powerup with no SD card and then with a different card.

9. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I don't think it's the same issue but I've had my E-M5 lock up a couple of times after going to sleep. It goes to sleep and won't wake till I remove the battery and put it back it. I've also had lenses not seem to seat or make connections properly a couple of times. My guess is that the contacts are in need of cleaning. Neither really sounds like the issue you're describing. Good luck.

10. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I have the problem with more than just the Sigma ( Olympus and Panasonic).

11. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    It may very well be the contacts. They look OK, but I suspect one of them may be sticking.

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Only one so far, but both bodies see light use.

--Ken

13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    DON'T hold down the lens release button when attaching the lens...holding down the button allows the lens to rotate PAST the locking point and you will get the problems described...when this happens don't touch the lens release button and turn the entire lens in the other direction until it locks.

It's called lens release button and not lens attach button for a reason.

p.s. the lens locking pin has to be fully engaged with the lens for the lens to work...if the locking pin is pushed in again you will have the problem described.

• Like Like x 2
  14. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    That may be my problem. I could be holding down the button and not realizing the lens never clicked into place. I will experiment and see if I can repeat the problem. Thanks for the info!

15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Your post said the camera hung up with the Sigma was mounted and stayed that way when you switched to other lenses, requiring a battery pull to stop. So it's now hanging up from a normal status when you start with the other lenses too?

Incidentally, I once got my EPL5 stuck by swapping Olympus lenses without powering down, and had to pull the battery. O

16. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    The problem started with mounting the new Sigma lens and then continued for the Olympus and Panasonic lenses until I pulled the battery. I did power the camera off before swapping each lens. I need to try and replicate the problem by mounting one of my other lenses to verify that it can be caused by one other than the Sigma. I will spend some time troubleshooting this weekend and post back with the results.

17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had the same problem off and on (with E-P1 & E-M5 and lots of lenses) until I managed to keep my meat hooks off the button. No problems since.

18. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    I tested all of my lenses with the EM-5 today and I am convinced that my problem was holding down the lens release button. If I held the button, I was able to go past the locking pin and the lens would not function. If I released the button and allowed the lens to click into place, the camera worked correctly. I was able to repeat this multiple times. So this one goes down as user error :) Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions.

• Like Like x 1