1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need help with decision on E-PL3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DHart, Sep 20, 2011.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I'm considering buying an E-PL3 primarily for street photography due to the tilting screen (thanks, Ray, for your inspirations in this regard!), which comes with either the 17mm or the 14-42mm. Honestly, I don't need either of these lenses as I already have the 12, 14, 20, 7-14, 14-45 Pany, etc.

I'm thinking that I would almost certainly want to resell whichever lens I get with the kit. Which would be easier to resell and perhaps fetch more, the 17 or the 14-42?

I might consider keeping the 17, but already having the lenses I listed above, I don't see where it would be needed or replace either my 14 or my 20.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Heya, Don. I had zero luck trying to sell the kit zoom around here, but have yet to try Ebay. My hunch is that the 17mm will be an easier sell and go for a higher price on Ebay as there are many more zoom kits sold (total on all three bodies).

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'd go for the 17 Don. It's probably a bit easier to sell (but there are a lot of them out there) and it's also a pretty classic focal length if you end up keeping it. I had just the 14,17, and 20 for primes for quite a while and I used the 17 more than any of them. I only sold mine because I have it VERY nicely covered with the x100. Not a bad little lens - nearly as small as the 14.

-Ray

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I agree, I think you'll have an easier time selling the 17mm, it should fetch a minimum $150 after shipping/fees (and it'll be cheaper to ship due to size/weight) - it isn't sold as often, and has a more consistent resale value from what I have seen. The kit lens, being the current version, would do alright, but I think at best you'll get $150 (on ebay a little more, but you'll lose another 5% on fees).

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Go for 17mm. I've sold both. 17mm was sold overnight, more demand. 14-42R was on ebay for a week but sold at $185 eventually.

6. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I would buy the 17mm and keep it. It is a really nice lens you will most probably love.

7. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Great advice from you all... thanks. The 17 it will be. My inclination was to go that way anyway. And though I've already got the 12, 14, 20 and a number of other lenses, I think you guys are right that I'll probably like the 17 and want to keep it. Having more lenses than I really need, having one more to choose from and play with will just fit right in. :wink: I have a feeling I'll like it a lot! :thumbup:

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    E-PL3 and Franiac grip ordered. This will be my first Olympus camera... I'm looking forward to experiencing first hand what all the Oly hoopla is all about! My primary intended use of this particular body is going to be street photography... using the tilt screen.

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    can't wait to see your first shots with this gem...