1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need help with calibration

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by dulaney22, Sep 27, 2010.

1. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    Just got the mpix photo samples and have calibrated my 24" iMac about as well as I can figure out. However, I can't seem to tone down my overall color. My monitor is pretty bright compared to the photo sample. Also, I can't get my blues to be as purple looking as the photo chart sample and the yellow is too yellow . . . need more orange. Is there a way to adjust individual colors?

2. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Do you have a Spyder or some other sort of calibration hardware device? That's the best way to calibrate your monitor.

3. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    I've downloaded a bunch of profiles and a couple free calibrators. After many, many attempts I think I'm about as close as I'm gonna get. Red and yellow are still a bit too luminous and my blue isn't as purple as the test photo. Everything else is pretty close . . . guess I'll just have to remember the differences when printing.

4. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

If you want color managed workflow, you need a hardware calibrator (Spyder 3 or similar) - you can get close by eyeballing it, but you already found out why that's not really a solution.

5. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    Is Spyder 3 the best one?

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

7. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

I've only used Spyder 2, and am happy with it and it gets the job done. It makes a big difference in color accuracy. You can spend anything from around 100 EUR to 1000+ EUR on a hardware (monitor) calibrator.

The thing with color management is that you have to do it at every step, from input to output.

Input (camera) color management can be done with ColorChecker Passport or similar.

If you print, having your printer calibrated is even more important - it made a huge difference in print quality for me. That's not expensive at all, just have to be very careful to follow instructions how to print the target properly. Google "custom printer profile".

There's a lot to learn about color management, and you can spend a lot of money and time with it. So you'll have to determine how important it is to you. OTOH, setting up a decent color managed workflow will cost 200-300 EUR, which is less than a decent used prime lens, and most likely will have a bigger impact in image quality. My ranking in order of declining importance: monitor, printer, camera.

As with photography in general, the more you get into it, the more you want :)  The thing with color management is that you will see improved results - which is not always the case when buying the latest camera :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.