1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need help picking a mount and lenses for cheap

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Promit, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'd like to play with some adapted lenses, but I'm not really familiar with all the myriad options and what I might want. Here's basically what I'm looking for:
    1) Cheeeap and easy to find. Like, under 50 bucks cheap.
    2) Mostly primes, ideally relatively compact ones. Reasonable quality, at least moderately competitive with the native primes.
    3) All on the same mount. I don't want to buy a mix of adapters.

I've gotten a sort of vague sense that I might be happy with Leica M mount, Pentax K mount, or C mount. Not too sure.

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'd suggest either m42 or minolta mount. M42 would give you the option for pentax takumars and the nikon would open the world of rokkors to you. Both are reasonable for price and selection, as well the konica hexanons are good lens for the money. I personally have tried a couple of takumars, and have been very happy with my results. Adapters can be had for less than $20 off of eBay. The nice part of established inexpensive lagecy glass is that you can always sell the lens for about what you paid for it, as they seem to have a fairly stable price since there not affected by availability due to production, earthquakes, etc... Watch the for sale board here and you may find a lens with an adapter that fits your budget. I may be wrong, but anything with the word leica normally translates to money not cheap in any sense.

3. aznmochamike

aznmochamike Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    i have only tried the minolta rokkor primes, but they have been great for me. To start off cheap then try looking for a Rokkor 50mm 1.7 or there are other brand that have 50mm 1.8 out there. Mine was around $25. Also try looking at older camera shops and down turn down lenses that have issues with them because my Rokkor 58mm 1.2 should cost over 300 but i got it there for 100 and took it to another guy who cleaned it out for 40. Works great now and I love the images I get out of it. good luck n have fun :smile:

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Uh..doesn't the crop factor make a 'normal' lens in 50mm range rather long? Seems a bit awkard generally.

5. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    It's a good focal length for portraits, but less so for snapshots and landscapes. I have a 50mm f/1.7 Pentax lens and I find it useful at times, but the 20mm Panasonic is still my primary lens.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well you did specify inexpensive, I did see a pen f 20mm up for sale that would be equivalent of a 40mm for the low price of $540 plus an adapter. You may find a 24,28, or 35mm but again all those values are doubled on an m43...48,56,70. I think if your looking for wide angle you may be better saving your pennies for a panny 14 or 20 or the oly 17 and forget the legacy glass. Just my 2 cents, hope you find what your looking for. Let us know what you get.good luck.

7. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    A similar problem

Hi guys,

I was playing with my E-PL1 + 14-150mm lens combined with a macro tube last week. I noticed that shooting pictures on a tripod with manual focus gets better results (and is much more fun) than using auto focus. The bad thing is that the lenses I have are not good enough for macro shooting and now I have a huge lens fever... :biggrin:

I already have the MMF-2 adapter but I don't have any lenses for it anymore. I tried to find sharp, cheap 4/3 lenses but no luck so I guess I'll need a new adapter... And this is why I'm here.

What I'm looking for is (in this order):
    1) a cheap, sharp macro lens for shooting bugs etc.
    2) a cheap, fast portrait lens (maybe around 50mm)
    3a) a cheap, sharp lens for landscape shots (I have the Lumix 20mm already. Is that enough or could I do better with a legacy lens?)
    3b) if the Lumix is enough then a sharp, fast >100mm lens

And by "cheap" I mean 0-50€ (or US$). At least the first manual focus lens has to be cheap so I will see if I'm going to use it enough. (It wouldn't be the first time I get excited about something and then notice later that the thing I've bought just collects dust in my bookshelf...)

If there's a lens that would fill more than one of my three requirements, I'm open to suggestions. :wink:

What I've learned so far is that some these lenses could be for me:
    - Vivitar (I really like the pictures here )
    - Minolta MC Rokkor 55mm (or 58mm) f/1.7
    - Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f/1.8
    etc. etc.

My problem is that I can't decide which way to go. Which adapter would provide me the biggest selection of cheap lenses I could use? Minolta MD MC? Canon FD? M42? Konica AR? Please help me! :biggrin:

8. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Really most MF mounts qualify: Canon FD, Nikon, Konica, Minolta, Olympus OM, Pentax, m42 etc. From what I've seen (not that much) Olympus OM is often the smallest (although OM adapter is larger than most). I like IQ of new Canon FD, but really it varies from lens to lens more than brand to brand, every manufacturer made some very good lenses and some not as such.

There's a multitude of 50/3.5 or 50/4 MF lenses from every brand (Canon FD, Olympus OM, Nikon etc), and some 100/4 (they're larger). I use Canon FD 50/3.5 (prefer shorter FL) - a very nice lens, but, frankly, I have never seen a bad review of a dedicated macro lens.

Most of f1.8 and f1.4 lenses qualify, and they're pretty small and cheap
    I don't think you can do better than 20. It would be pretty wide for an SLR lens and really good ones are expensive.
    This sounds like a 135mm lens. Some of them are very nice, I'm happy with Canon FD 135/2.8. I heard good things about Konica 135/3.5.

It's hard to do it this way. If you really decided upon FL you would want to get maybe it would've been easier.

Links you might find useful:
    I made some collections of samples by lens here.
    MU-43 user reviews
    Lots of info about old systems, including some specs
    Site about Konica

• Like Like x 2
  9. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I'd say hold off on any eBay purchases and spend a Saturday morning making the rounds of local thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales and/or pawn shops. Those $50ish lenses on eBay will be more like $20 at a flea market or $5 at a yard sale. Let what's available dictate your adapter choice. Just about any name-brand MF lens (and quite a few non-name brand) will have excellent optics, particularly in the "sweet spot" that will hit your MFT sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    ... there are often real bargains on Craigslist of the "cleaning Dad's attic out" variety, too. It may mean buying an old camera body you don't want, but if you score a set of 3-4 lenses for $100, that solves your adapter choice problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    I was in your situation before; I thought I was going to get only primes. I later picked up a hefty 35-105mm f3.5 72mm lens thread full metal Soligor (even the lens cap was metal). I recently saw on ebay newer adapters that have a built-in tripod mount. I suggest looking out for those as well as it would be difficult to find a lens tripod collar for legacy zooms.

12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Ok, thanks for your input, guys! I'll start searching now... :smile:

13. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Picked up a Soligor 90-230mm off of ebay for $10.00 w/shipping it came with the tripod mount ( my original guess was that it did becuase the lens itself wieghs about 10lbs but then realized that this was a unique thing ) and its own collapsable hood/shade, took some shots of the moon recently with it and it low light the thing works great!