1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need help on taking video...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kevinaldo, Jun 12, 2013.

1. kevinaldo

kevinaldo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    CA, USA
    We have a graduation to go this weekend that my three year old and class will perform. Never take video on my OM-D, I most likely will bring the P35-100 and the 8mm. Can you guys help me on settings?

I don't know I can take pictures during recording video, am I correct?

thank you guys.

2. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    you can take photos during the recording but it will break your video up into one file before the shutter release and one following the shutter release.

for the best results use the movie mode on the mode dial.
    set to Manual.
    ISO=200
    Shutter Speed=1/60
    F-Stop according to exposure.

You can set picture mode in the menu to whatever you prefer (i-Enhance, gradation settings, contrast, sharpness, etc...)

I would recommend manual focus also. But SF+MF should let you relock focus with the shutter half-press during recording.

In the menu gears you should be able to increase microphone recording volume , as well as wind cancellation.

3. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I would also grab a variable ND filter if you intend to use lower f-stops.

4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    One other bit of advice that's come in handy for me is not to use the widest available aperture unless you want it for the effect and don't have much motion. Read somewhere to stop down to somewhere around 4 or 5.6 to improve your depth of field- light permitting of course- and as klee recommends, use SF+MF to minimize focus hunting. It's worked like a charm for me, and I'm not too concerned with going up a bit ISO-wise to compensate. Did this the other day and despite the concert arena being dark, I got great footage of my daughter's first concert. I took some test video before she started to make sure I was happy with the settings.

5. optigan

optigan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Andy
    Had trouble manual focusing while shooting video. And to press AF during filming shows the camera hunting to refocus. Continuous focus would really help. I don't see how shutter speed is affecting the outcome looking at my footage. Using my 14mm gives good general focus results but the 45 is very hard to use this way. Beautiful if everyone stays still. The 25 chatters so its unusable for video. Is that the ISO hunting? I've set everything to manual to cure this but overall I'm not feeling this camera is good for video. Maybe I should have got the kit lens?

6. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Mm, its been serving me well for video... but I agree about limiting focus hunting and other distracting things.

Continuous focus with the kit lens isn't bad. It takes about 2 seconds for it to refocus on a new object. tracking works if the subject doesn't shift in the frame too quickly.

Shutter speed is an aesthetic component. 1/60 provides the most natural amount of motion blur. But you can choose a higher or lower value for your own purposes. I prefer a cinematic look, which the 1/60 does a good job with.

I don't have the 25mm, but my 20/1.8 is loud during AF hunting. MF with that lens is hard in video because there's no magnification aid. It's getting better with more practice though. shooting video with legacy lenses is so much more enjoyable.

If your challenge is to keep as much in focus as possible, stop the aperture down to f5.6 or f8. You'll find yourself adjusting focus less with the deeper DOF.