Need help here...Canon FD 's lens size.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by hinata76, Oct 24, 2012.

1. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Hi there!

Today i just got a Canon FD mount 50mm F1.4 manual lens..sadly it didn't come with lens cap front and back.

I did google for some info on the size..and i learnt its a 52mm filter size..

okay here is the strange part..i do have a 14-45mm panny lens with 52mm filter size..i used it on the Canon's but too small for the filter to be happens i got a spare 55mm filter and it fits just nice...(confused....zzz)

so what size should this canon fd lens be? anyone have the similar lens ..can let me know?

here says 52mm..
    Canon FD 50mm standard lenses

here says 55mm...
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C. | Canon | FD Review

but then..mine look like this..

Pic link.

hope i can get some answers..this lens is naked without any caps ATM..:redface::redface:
  2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm pretty sure it is 55mm. Your first link is the page for the newer FD lenses which are all 52mm thread. What you've got is an older lens and I think the second link has the correct thread size - its been a few decades but I recall those being 55mm and have some stray filters of that size ask a result.

3. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Ah!! thanks a lot!

oh btw..if im looking for the rear cap..any descriptions i can add to search for it? cap size maybe?
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    No it does not. It says the Canon "New FD" uses 52mm.

You have to understand that historically Canon's naming schemes are very very poorly implemented. The lenses for their FD mount bodies fall into 3 groups:

1. Original FD lenses: chrome breech lock where lens is held still and only the chrome ring turns. The ring can be turned even when off of the body. The common lenses use 55mm lens attachments.

2. Newer FD: no real model name distinction but lens mount now latches the chrome ring in the open position when off of the body. Most common lenses still use 55mm filters.

3. "New FD" or "nFD": No chrome ring. The whole lens turns when mounting and there is now a chrome lock button to release lens. These generally have slightly smaller and lighter barrels and most common lenses now use a smaller 52mm filter.

The lenses are all marked "FD" so lens engraving can't be used to determine series.
  5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    The rear cap is always the same size. Find a cheap Canon FD rear cap. If you are using a dedicated M4/3 mount to that specific lens, you ought to get an M4/3rear cap instead. Good shooting.

PS: for future postings please keep the maximum image size to 1024 pixcels. Thanks, Chrome
  6. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    ah! thanks all! bad on the image thingy...uses imgur to post the take note!