1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need help from quick change artists

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Trigeek, May 7, 2011.

1. Trigeek

Trigeek Mu-43 Regular

Hi all,
    I feel a little silly asking this question but here goes anyway. When shooting with my prime lenses, I need to swap between my 20mm and 14mm focal lengths and lately I seem to be fumbling a bit with the change and was looking for some wisdom from this group. I use the GF1, and have replaced the shoulder strap with a wrist strap as I find this more comfortable. When I change lenses I seem to fumble with taking the lens off, swapping lens caps between lenses and putting the new lens on the body.

Back in the day (LOL), with film cameras, I would put the lenses in my camera bag without the lens caps on and this made switching very quick. I could do the same here though I'm a bit reluctant to in order to avoid getting dust on the rear elements that could end up on the sensor.

If others are swapping between lenses when they are out shooting, what kind of flow do you use? I have found that the fumbling that I have been doing is not very productive as it interrupts the flow.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    only obvious tip is to keep the cameras facing downwards as much as possible... dust rarely falls up onto a sensor

think my routine is

1) cap off new lens
    2) old lens off
    3) new lens on
    4) cap on old lens

K

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    You could always brush the rear of the lens if you're afraid of dust transferring to the camera. I think you are likely to get more dust into the camera from the atmosphere during the change than from the lens once it is on.

I have the kit lens and the 40-150 for my EPL1. I take the rear cap off the lens I want to mount and then I am able to remove the present one and put the new one on while holding all 3 camera, old lens and new lens (although a bag could come in handy for putting the old one in and taking the new uncapped one out of). I am worried only by atmosphere dust while the sensor is exposed.
    The dust system in the Olympus cameras at least seems quite powerful judging by this:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1TMwsXQFY"]YouTube - OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM:Dust Reduction[/ame]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Trigeek

Trigeek Mu-43 Regular

Hi, Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned I have the camera on a wrist strap so I kind of have the camera in one hand while I am changing the lenses. So that only gives me one free hand to maneuver the lenses. It makes removing the rear cap and changing lenses a bit awkward. I'm not worried about atmospheric dust, as I usually have the body pointed downward while changing.

Looking at the lenses, the rear element is recessed, so if I leave in the lens in one compartment w/ the front and rear caps off, it would make the change easier. Probably just need to make sure vacuum out the bag every once in a while to make sure that it stays nice and clean. So, I'm thinking I will

1) take old lens off
    2) Place in bag in it's own compartment
    3) Pull new lens out of it's compartment
    4) Place new lens on camera.

Leave front and rear caps off until after I'm done shooting. Not sure that there is really any other way of doing it.

5. Trigeek

Trigeek Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the video, impressive. I've wondered why I have not seen any dust spots on my images even though I change the lenses often.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    IMHO this leaves the sensor exposed for too long.

I find I can spin off the rear cap with the same hand holding the lens. Pop off old lens, pop on new lens, take care of caps and putting away properly after the change.

Keep in mind I just about always have my bag, with the top half empty right there to toss everything in.

7. I carry my E-P1 like an SLR and use the neckstrap, so that always leaves two hands free for changing lenses. I think I use the same method as tc, where the new lens goes on as soon as the old lens comes off.

8. Trigeek

Trigeek Mu-43 Regular

i agree with both of you regarding the method if I have the neckstrap attached. Thing is, I prefer a wrist strap, so that kind of ties up one hand, hence my dilema.

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I do it without a neck strap.

10. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    I use a wrist strap too. To change the lens, I start by putting the strap around the left wrist, and hold the camera body with left hand.

Also I use double lens rear caps an old trick I learnt from Leica in the 70's:
    take two rear lens caps, pair them piggybacked. You may use screws, glue, but I always relied on a few turns of 3M black photo masking tape. It's paper but it feels like leather and holds quite firmly even after several years.
    This way, the extra lens in the bag shows at its back a ready rear cap: remove the lens on the camera; dock it piggyback; put the "new" lens on the camera.
    Some use the double cap to save space by attaching two spare lenses together. I prefer not, for the free cap limits the juggling when changing lenses.

Try it :thumbup:

This makes a cool bumper sticker...

• Like Like x 6
  11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    That's a brilliant tip.

I'd done the same many years ago before I bought my first af lens. I used to store primes in my bag attached like that.After I changed from FD to EOS the lenses got too heavy/big for it to be practical.

Thank you so much for reminding me of this. You have, single handily, solved a real annoyance for me when working with tiny m4/3 primes.

Gordon

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mine is pretty straight forward with a Leica M system.

* Shoulder bag with individual compartments and one large flap to cover. No zippers nor velcro as they slow me down AND you have a tendency just to leave the bag open exposed to dust and such. Flaps "automatically" lay over the opening of the bag. Alternatively, pouches that hang off my belt (not as protective as a bag).

* ~~NO rear caps NOR front caps~~ Waste of time and money (I loose them all the time). I've seen people drop lenses trying to mess with caps.

* Point the camera downwards during lens changes or at least forward (not up).

1) Remove current lens
    2) Drop lens into compartment
    3) Pickup next lens
    4) Mount to camera

Simple as that.

50% of the time, I am traveling only with two lenses. Its even simpler sometimes without a bag. Not sure if a similar option is available for m43 cameras (m43 cameras of mine have zooms). I can switch lenses before most can even access their bag (again.. no caps)

Even better... two lenses with two cameras.

PS> Yes... double lens caps work well. BE CAREFUL. Rear Lens caps do ~not~ LOCK. If you are holding one side with a lens attached to the other, do not assume the lens secured (it can work its way loose by the weight of the lens). If you notice in the picture above, the spare mounts underneath the the camera have a locking mechanism just like the camera mount itself.

13. Trigeek

Trigeek Mu-43 Regular

Great suggestion. Thank you. To be clear, the new lens stays in the bag while you remove the old lens and dock to the exposed cap. Do you then flip over the lens combo and then remove the new lens and attach to the camera?
    Regards,
    Jim

14. Trigeek

Trigeek Mu-43 Regular

Thanks TC,
    Maybe I'm not understanding how you are doing this, or quite possibly, I'm not as coordinated as you. If I have the camera in one hand and the new lens in the other, I spin the cap off of the new lens, but now how do I get the old lens off? Your method is basically what I have been trying, but without feeling like a lens will go tumbling to the floor during the exchange.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    what's "changing lenses" said the guy who never takes off his 20mm.

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, reading that again it sounds like I'm either a lot more coordinated or have giant hands. The big difference was putting lenses back "in their compartment". For me, there is always some "searching" to get the lens back where it "goes", and so the time savings is just putting the lend in the bag and grabbing the next one, minimizing the time the sensor is left exposed.

Start with front cap already on "old" lens. Holding camera with left hand, push button with left, twist off lens with right. Put it in bag (anywhere), grab new lens with right and twist off rear cap with thumb, put lens on. Remove front cap, shoot, deal with old lens rear cap when you have time.

If I'm changing lenses a lot, I just leave the rear cap off, but am a little more careful with where I put the old lens so I can find it without getting my fingers all over the exposed rear element

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    I guess I do. Can't rewind the movie :wink:
    Also, I use my jacket breast pockets more often than bags--that's the cool aspect of micro-systems, whether Leica M or :43:
    Just try it: if you simply tape the two caps together, they'll be quite easy to separate, won't they?

PS: I remembered something even more, er... radical than the device shown by usayit: the three-lens turret, a crossbreed of a Leica machine-gun and a Gatling early endoscope. Or vice-versa.

• Like Like x 1
  18. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trigeek

Trigeek Mu-43 Regular

Thanks TC. I think this is the direction I was heading in. As long as I keep the bag clean of dust/lint, etc... the lens should be safe w/o the front & rear caps on... keeping them in separate padded compartments in the bag. I'm going to give Pan's suggestion a try as well and see what works best.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.