1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need help for new lenses Help

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by greye05, Sep 27, 2012.

1. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    I am looking for some new lenses actually cheap but good ones. I know they are not the best but i dont have to much money. I want a wide angle lens for less than $70 and a good telephoto lens for less than $80 i want to take pictures of the moon.

I curently only have a minolta 55mm f1.7 on my lumux g1 and another question is this lens good it has a nice wide angle and some zoom

Cosmicar 12.5-75mm f1.8 C-mount tv zoom lens | eBay

2. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    If you're on a tight budget, then if you already have a Minolta adapter, stick with Minolta lens if there any that will fit your bill.

I doubt you'll fine a really wide lens for your budget because of the x2 crop factor. My widest adapted lens is 28mm, which in M43 terms is equivalent to 56mm.

Hexanon lenses are my thing, when I purchased my used GF1 it came with 28/3.5 and 40/1.8 and an adapter. I have since added to my collection. With a little research you can find some real gems at bargain prices.

This looks like a bargain IMHO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONICA-AUTO...856180927?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item35c019c4bf

Check out the image threads on this site

https://www.mu-43.com/f81/konica-135mm-f-3-2-hexanon-ar-image-thread-2353/

https://www.mu-43.com/f81/konica-50mm-f-1-7-hexanon-ar-image-thread-4697/

Do you have any native lenses? If you only have the Minolta 55mm, you may want to purchase a cheap kit zoom to get you going Panasonic's 14-45mm 3.5-5.6 is pretty decent and great value used.

I do get so good images using adapted lenses, but they can be a little troublesome to focus, I just like using them. Using my native lenses are much more reliable.

3. Jaffa1975

Jaffa1975 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    The pana 14mm f2.5 is slightly over budget but a great lens for the money

4. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, greye !

your facing a difficult challenge !

1. there are no good and cheap wide-angle solutions for the M4/3. C-mount lenses with a FL shorter than 25mm usually do not cover the whole sensor, and by the time you have cropped out the black/smeared/unsharp parts of the image, you might as well have used a longer FL that covered the sensor. For wide-angle, just one advice, stick with the native lenses, but they are out of budget ...

2. you want to shoot pics of the moon, you'll need a FL of at least 300mm, better 500mm. Good and cheap solutions are not readily available, furthermore you'll need a (SOLID) tripod that you must buy if you don't own one yet ...

Personally, I would choose a priority (WA or the moon), add up your budgets and buy one or the other ... you can save money for the other lens later ... the moon has not announced yet that it is going to disappear :biggrin::biggrin:

Good luck,
    Rafael

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Cosmicar is not going to cover the frame.

This $28 lens might work for you for the moon shots: Vivitar 200mm 3.5 Auto - Telephoto Lens w/ lens hood & front cap - Minolta Mount | eBay

For $70, you can do better: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-MD-...57260039?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item19d5916d07

For wide angle, I would save and wait for this one: NEW PANASONIC LUMIX G 14mm F2.5 F/2.5 ASPH LENS SILVER 0885170023529 | eBay

6. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    As said the 14mm Panasonic is a great option for a wide angle on a budget. And plus one for a decent tripod. With my 135mm fitted I get a lot of shake handheld.

7. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    First off i want to thanks every one for the replies. Does the konica hexanon ar mount the same as the minolta md mount. I will be saving up for the 14mm to buy it next month right know i think I'm going to go with the Konica 135 the sample i saw are amazing and with a 28mm i think. Any good tripods you can recommend I lost a deal a sony 4ft aluminum really sturdy and hard it was in clearance at $44 FROM $300 but i dint have the money in that moment.
    Any other suggestion will be great.

8. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Ok i found out they are not the same mount so a minolta 135mm rokkor f2.8 or f3.5 be as good?

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    if you are looking at Minolta lenses, check out The Rokkor Files. They have some great reviews on quality and what to expect. Are you looking for a prime specifically? If not, they made (along with vivitar and others) an 80-200 zoom. Shouldn't be more than about $60. For off-brands, usually says MD on the front ring to let you know it is Minolta.

10. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Hello guys I joust bought this two lenses:
    MC Minolta Celtic 28mm f2.8 Lens - Serial # 1016732 for $16.99 in great conditions
    Minolta 100-200mm MC ZOOM Rokkor 1:5.6 for $20.00 in mint conditions

I know I'm super cheap hahaha but money is tight and i will be saving up for the Panasonic 14mm maybe buy it next month

Do you think it was a good purchase considering the amount i pay for each lens and i bought a shutter release cable and some extension tubes in amazon to.

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Do they take good pictures? Are you happy? Prices are definately in the right range for those.

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    If you want to shoot the moon 135mm is not long enough. 200mm will give you a decent shot if you crop in post. 300mm is ideal but those lenses are not cheap, native or legacy.

Edit: didn't see your last post of recent purchases. Congrats on those finds! The 100-200 zoom is quite slow and big but if you are only shooting the moon with it, then it shouldn't matter. If you plan on doing any kind of wildlife photography it might not be adequate though.

13. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    thax I think I take some nice pictures for a total beginners, learning something new every day. My picture never look like the ones you see in here but they are ok. I know the big lens is slow but i will mostly use it for the moon and experimenting with it.

As off now what i want to do is learn all I can so then i can make the jump to a nikon d7000 or a Sony a77 (this will be better since i can star collecting good minolta lenses) when i have the money maybe next year. Who knows i may evan consider some of the new full frames or a used 5d mkII if i get a good deal. But dreams are dreams hahaha

14. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Not to discourage you, but to shoot the moon you need a really, really long tele lens (or a lot of cropping). Just to give you an idea, I shot the moon from my kitchen window a few minutes ago:

EPL27932.

Not the best shot of the moon in the history of mankind, but it illustrates the point. It was made with a 500mm mirror lens, and even then I did 2x crop in post processing. But if you have the patience to wait for a very good deal to come up, it is possible to do within your budget. I got my Rubinar 8/500 for the equivalent of $35. Add to that $10-20 for an M42 adapter if you don't have one already.

15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Well... I guess I'll be the counterpoint and try to ENCOURAGE you. 200mm lenses are capable of decent moon shots. I know because I've done them. Yes, you would probably need to crop some, but still with good results.

This was taken with my Minolta MC Tele Rokkor 200mm f3.5.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/6983628039/" title="Moon Shot by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="599" alt="Moon Shot"></a>

We all started out as beginners at some point. The important thing is to have passion for your art and practice practice practice! Good luck!

16. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    This id why i like these forum so much. Every one is supportive and always give good advice thanks to everyone my lenses are suppose to be here next week I will post my first tries as soon as i take them.

On the side note, here where i live in Puerto Rico theres not much that's good to photograph everything is so not aesthetic , that's where i live the rest of the touristic are are amazing I encourage that your next vacation be here you will not regret it.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Minolta Fotosniper (Tele-Rokkor 300mm f/4.5)

18. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Hi greye05, i will totally agree with everyone here and suggest you keep trying until you get the best result.Me on the other hand spent around 200$ to get a fully manual Samyang 500mm and i am still trying for over a month now to satisfy my needs!Good luck and don't give up!A proper shot always takes time!

19. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    THX, I will keep trying, today I'm supposed to receive some extension tubes to try some macro for the first time will post result once i have them. And can any of you recommend a good beginners software for editing RAW files, i dont like the light room 4 interface and dont find it appealing nor easy. Right now i need something basic. And thx again to everyone for all the great comments.