Need Help Finding an Interview w/ Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Phocal, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    In a post (which I believe was here) someone linked an interview with one of the Olympus executives who talked about the focusing of the EM1. The big take away from that interview was that when in CAF the EM1 only uses PDAF regardless of lens (m4/3 or 4/3).

I have been searching for that interview and can’t find it. I think it was on DPR but I can’t find it over there. If anyone remembers the interview and can provide a link I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Phocal aka Ronnie

2. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
  3. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks but none of those are it. The first is about the EM1mk2 and the last one is from when the EM1 was first released and when Olympus was still be very tight lipped about the focusing. It was around the 2nd year after the EM1 was released that they came out and confirmed what I had already confirmed about their “Dual Focus System”.

4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Nope, neither are it. The first is from just after release and when they were not really telling the truth about how it worked. The 2nd is about the EM1mk2.

5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Problem doing a google search is you get page after page of EM1mk2 stuff and you can’t search for EM1mk1 or EM1 original because anything written about the original EM1 it is just called EM1.

6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    That part is easy. Try something like "olympus e-m1 PDAF C-AF -1.2 -ii -mark" as your search query. I don't see such an interview though it has been mentioned on this forum before.

7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Have tried all sorts of searches and can’t find it. I am 90% positive it was linked on this forum and the interview was on DPR, but it was awhile ago so not 100% sure.

I thought I saved the link but can’t find it anywhere........

8. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Olympus OM-D E-M1 new features explained (Four Thirds User)
    fourthirds-user.com/2013/09/olympus_omd_em1_new_features_explained_.php
    Sep 10, 2013 - Watch out for a series of articles generated by our trip to see Olympus in Japan over the next few days, including an interview with Mr.Haruo Ogawa, president of the Olympus ... There is also on-chip phase-detection autofocus (PDAF) for the first time - more about that in the section aboutautofocus features.

@Phocal@Phocal I know next to little about PDAF or CDAF but have heard it mentioned so many times here at mu-43 I thought I better start to become more aware! Your post got me off my butt and I've started to do some research... I came up with the above for fourthirds-user.com but as I don't have an account there I couldn't follow up any further... looked like it might be relevant, although the link above only takes you to the first article, not a subsequent one with the interview... might be a lead though

9. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
  10. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Ok. Final try:

11. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

12. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Well, I have given up for now, need to finish some work-related stuff before tomorrow morning :).

Kind regards, Wim

13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    thanks everyone for the help....................

I am pretty sure I didn't imagine reading the interview....................................

have to put up Christmas lights, so will be back at my search later this afternoon/evening..............