Need help finding a lens pouch for Oly 40-150mm F2.8 PRO zoom

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zensu, Aug 8, 2016.

1. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    I got the Think Tank Retrospective 7 and find it ideal for my µ43s kit. In the field I carry the E-M1 with 12-40mm zoom on my Peak Design Slide Lite :cloud-9-039: and three lenses in my Retrospective 7: (all my lenses are Oly) 7-14mm F2.8, 40-150mm F2.8, and the TC and 60mm F2.8 macro. The 40-150mm PRO zoom fits snugly with the lens hood mounted. It's so snug when I pull the lens out of my bag (lens pointed down) that the hood slips into shooting position.
    My problem is when I'm traveling (usually by car) I can't put my camera body in the bag as it's full of glass! I can carry the camera with 12-40mm in the center of the bag and the other two PRO zooms on each side. This setup is too snug as I not only can't carry my 60mm macro and TC but the camera and lenses are going to end of scuffed and scratched up. I know many prefer the used look and that doesn't bother me either, what I'm concerned with is these three heavyweight lenses knocking against each other over time when I carry the E-M1 in the camera bag.
    I'm thinking that I might find a lens pouch that could fit the 40-150mm F2.8 PRO zoom with hood attached and attach the lens pouch to my sling strap or maybe even the Retrospective 7 bag on either exterior side or even switch to a different bag (but I love the Retrospective 7 so much).
    Any experience or advice resolving my problem (too much glass a problem?) is appreciated.
    Bobby
    PS, the pouch that came with this lens offers no padding!

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. zensu

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    I just love my Retrospective 7 and would love to find something that I could add to my existing carry gear without a lot of changes. Thanks for the response. If I can't find a solution to go with my existing gear then I will seriously look at a better carry system and the Lowepro looks great. Thanks!
    Bobby

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I'm having a similar issue with my gear since getting the 300 Pro. I prefer a messenger bag to a back pack for ease of use as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    @zensu@zensu, I carry all my lenses in the op/tech neoprene pouches: (a) 300mm f/4 in the OP/TECH USA Snoot Boot Wide Body (XL); (b) 40-150mm f/2.8 in OP/TECH USA Snoot Boot Wide Body (Large); (c) thru (j) various op/tech fold over pouches of various sizes depending upon which of my other lenses (from as small as the 1.4x teelconverter to fisheye to 7-14mm f/2.8 etc etc). They do a great job protecting the lenses even when they are in my camera backpack. Never outside of the pouch unless mounted on the body. Got the all at B&H which has an amazing variety. Hope this helps.

• Useful Useful x 3
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Make sure you double check the size but I'm almost 100% positive this will work: Jelly Roll™

I don't have one but I have one of thier bags and the quality is top notch. Pretty sure I could drop my Photo Recon from my 2nd floor balcony onto the driveway and my gear would be fine, thing is built like a tank. They have two smaller ones that should be available around October that I'm really looking for. I want the smaller ones to put on the waist belt of my pack to hold my TC's and my fisheye or macro lens if needed.

7. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Agree ! Not only that but it is way too big. I am using a fleece sack from montbell. But I would like something better.

Joe

8. zensu

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Thanks azjsb! These look like they might be what I was thinking of and it could have taken a lot of time researching this topic. Thank goodness for forums and positive posters that keep me coming here.
    Thanks to all who responded!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I use the Snoot Boots as well and think the OpTech stuff is really good. However, a Snoot Boot big enough for your 40-150 probably doesn't provide enough structure to really carry the lens securely outside of the bag. For protecting it while stuffing in a backpack, yes. Hanging it from a belt, hmm..., not so sure.

You might consider something like the LowePro Lens Exchange 200AW for the 40-150 Pro. I was considering it for my 50-200 SWD, but concluded that it was a little too narrow. The lens and gigantic OEM hood probably wouldn't fit. It might work OK for the 40-150. It's made to be hung on a belt.
    S&F Lens Exchange Case 200 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

BTW, ThinkTank offers some lens pouches too. How about this one?
    Lens Changer™ 25 V2.0

It looks like the Retrospective has webbing loops on the side where you can attach a lens pouch.
    retrospective7-9.

You may have to slide off the tripod mount to get the lens to fit into a pouch.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  10. zensu

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Thanks to all who posted resolutions to my problem but I think I found a solution that may seem strange but a friend suggested it and I gave it a try, so far so good.
    I just added the Retrospective 5 to my camera bag collection and it fits in perfectly. Do all long time photographers have a collection of camera bags? Maybe those of us who have been shooting a long time (40 years) have several in storage. I've got too many but I decided what the heck what's one more. :coco:
    I've switched the Retrospective 7 is now my carry everything bag (as in transporting to my general location) and the Retrospective 5 is for walk about shooting. I can put the E-M1 with battery grip and 12-40mm mounted on my Peak Design Strap Lite. The Retrospective 5 can carry all my three unmounted µ43s' lenses (7-14mm, 40-150mm w/TC, and 60mm macro, along with FL-36R Flash) so I can use that for my lens carry bag (and yes the 40-150mm PRO with TC and hood mounted fits snuggly but is still usable.
    This was not my idea of a solution but after listening to another photographer it does seem to solve my bag problem (converting the Retro. 7 to a travel bag, and the Retro. 5 as an everyday more portable carry option). Of course I could carry the Retro. 7 with everything (just a heavier bag).
    Again, thanks to all who offered such great ideas! :2thumbs:
    Bobby
    PS, The Retrospective 7 can carry my gear but it's so packed in it wouldn't really function as well as The Retrospective 5. And no, I don't work for Think Tank!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Glad you found a suitable solution. LOL, I have a camera bag addiction. I have 12 or so at the house and at least another dozen in my storage unit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. zensu

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Same here, way too many! I've often thought that a great coffee table book would show a couple of images that made a photographer famous and then a photo of his/her open camera bag with gear (warts and all). At least us camera bag collectors would buy one. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I can carry a pretty full selection of lenses in my Peak Design Everyday Messenger 15":
    PD15 1. PD15 2.
    This is the 12-40 on E-M1, 40-150 Pro (upper), 300 Pro + 1.4 TC (lower) and 7.5 FE and 60 macro (in beer cozy) under the camera. I still have lots of room for accessories including batteries, filters and flash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. zensu

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    You can bet money that one day I'll get a Peak Design Bag (I love their Slide Lite). :coco:

15. zensu

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    I often wonder are we photographers or camera bag collectors?
    Bobby

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I'm both. Well kinda. I collect bags in general.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.