Need help finding a lens pouch for Oly 40-150mm F2.8 PRO zoom

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zensu, Aug 8, 2016.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I got the Think Tank Retrospective 7 and find it ideal for my µ43s kit. In the field I carry the E-M1 with 12-40mm zoom on my Peak Design Slide Lite :cloud-9-039: and three lenses in my Retrospective 7: (all my lenses are Oly) 7-14mm F2.8, 40-150mm F2.8, and the TC and 60mm F2.8 macro. The 40-150mm PRO zoom fits snugly with the lens hood mounted. It's so snug when I pull the lens out of my bag (lens pointed down) that the hood slips into shooting position.
    My problem is when I'm traveling (usually by car) I can't put my camera body in the bag as it's full of glass! I can carry the camera with 12-40mm in the center of the bag and the other two PRO zooms on each side. This setup is too snug as I not only can't carry my 60mm macro and TC but the camera and lenses are going to end of scuffed and scratched up. I know many prefer the used look and that doesn't bother me either, what I'm concerned with is these three heavyweight lenses knocking against each other over time when I carry the E-M1 in the camera bag.
    I'm thinking that I might find a lens pouch that could fit the 40-150mm F2.8 PRO zoom with hood attached and attach the lens pouch to my sling strap or maybe even the Retrospective 7 bag on either exterior side or even switch to a different bag (but I love the Retrospective 7 so much).
    Any experience or advice resolving my problem (too much glass a problem?) is appreciated.
    Bobby
    PS, the pouch that came with this lens offers no padding!

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I just love my Retrospective 7 and would love to find something that I could add to my existing carry gear without a lot of changes. Thanks for the response. If I can't find a solution to go with my existing gear then I will seriously look at a better carry system and the Lowepro looks great. Thanks!
    Bobby

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I'm having a similar issue with my gear since getting the 300 Pro. I prefer a messenger bag to a back pack for ease of use as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    @zensu@zensu, I carry all my lenses in the op/tech neoprene pouches: (a) 300mm f/4 in the OP/TECH USA Snoot Boot Wide Body (XL); (b) 40-150mm f/2.8 in OP/TECH USA Snoot Boot Wide Body (Large); (c) thru (j) various op/tech fold over pouches of various sizes depending upon which of my other lenses (from as small as the 1.4x teelconverter to fisheye to 7-14mm f/2.8 etc etc). They do a great job protecting the lenses even when they are in my camera backpack. Never outside of the pouch unless mounted on the body. Got the all at B&H which has an amazing variety. Hope this helps.

• Useful Useful x 3
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Make sure you double check the size but I'm almost 100% positive this will work: Jelly Roll™

I don't have one but I have one of thier bags and the quality is top notch. Pretty sure I could drop my Photo Recon from my 2nd floor balcony onto the driveway and my gear would be fine, thing is built like a tank. They have two smaller ones that should be available around October that I'm really looking for. I want the smaller ones to put on the waist belt of my pack to hold my TC's and my fisheye or macro lens if needed.

7. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Agree ! Not only that but it is way too big. I am using a fleece sack from montbell. But I would like something better.

Joe

8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks azjsb! These look like they might be what I was thinking of and it could have taken a lot of time researching this topic. Thank goodness for forums and positive posters that keep me coming here.
    Thanks to all who responded!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I use the Snoot Boots as well and think the OpTech stuff is really good. However, a Snoot Boot big enough for your 40-150 probably doesn't provide enough structure to really carry the lens securely outside of the bag. For protecting it while stuffing in a backpack, yes. Hanging it from a belt, hmm..., not so sure.

You might consider something like the LowePro Lens Exchange 200AW for the 40-150 Pro. I was considering it for my 50-200 SWD, but concluded that it was a little too narrow. The lens and gigantic OEM hood probably wouldn't fit. It might work OK for the 40-150. It's made to be hung on a belt.
    S&F Lens Exchange Case 200 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

BTW, ThinkTank offers some lens pouches too. How about this one?
    Lens Changer™ 25 V2.0

It looks like the Retrospective has webbing loops on the side where you can attach a lens pouch.
    retrospective7-9.

You may have to slide off the tripod mount to get the lens to fit into a pouch.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks to all who posted resolutions to my problem but I think I found a solution that may seem strange but a friend suggested it and I gave it a try, so far so good.
    I just added the Retrospective 5 to my camera bag collection and it fits in perfectly. Do all long time photographers have a collection of camera bags? Maybe those of us who have been shooting a long time (40 years) have several in storage. I've got too many but I decided what the heck what's one more. :coco:
    I've switched the Retrospective 7 is now my carry everything bag (as in transporting to my general location) and the Retrospective 5 is for walk about shooting. I can put the E-M1 with battery grip and 12-40mm mounted on my Peak Design Strap Lite. The Retrospective 5 can carry all my three unmounted µ43s' lenses (7-14mm, 40-150mm w/TC, and 60mm macro, along with FL-36R Flash) so I can use that for my lens carry bag (and yes the 40-150mm PRO with TC and hood mounted fits snuggly but is still usable.
    This was not my idea of a solution but after listening to another photographer it does seem to solve my bag problem (converting the Retro. 7 to a travel bag, and the Retro. 5 as an everyday more portable carry option). Of course I could carry the Retro. 7 with everything (just a heavier bag).
    Again, thanks to all who offered such great ideas! :2thumbs:
    Bobby
    PS, The Retrospective 7 can carry my gear but it's so packed in it wouldn't really function as well as The Retrospective 5. And no, I don't work for Think Tank!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Glad you found a suitable solution. LOL, I have a camera bag addiction. I have 12 or so at the house and at least another dozen in my storage unit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same here, way too many! I've often thought that a great coffee table book would show a couple of images that made a photographer famous and then a photo of his/her open camera bag with gear (warts and all). At least us camera bag collectors would buy one. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I can carry a pretty full selection of lenses in my Peak Design Everyday Messenger 15":
    PD15 1. PD15 2.
    This is the 12-40 on E-M1, 40-150 Pro (upper), 300 Pro + 1.4 TC (lower) and 7.5 FE and 60 macro (in beer cozy) under the camera. I still have lots of room for accessories including batteries, filters and flash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    You can bet money that one day I'll get a Peak Design Bag (I love their Slide Lite). :coco:

15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I often wonder are we photographers or camera bag collectors?
    Bobby

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I'm both. Well kinda. I collect bags in general.

• Agree Agree x 1