Need help: EP-5 vs EM10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by elandel, Dec 23, 2014.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all. Tomorrow I'll get my new body, used, and have to choose between EP5 and EM10. There is a price difference of 170 euros but that is not the most important question even if it is important.

I have a good m4/3 lens collection and an EP3 with VF-4. I always have the 4/3 14-54 attached to it as my walkaround lens and I'm very happy with the combo. Now Its time to upgrade the body (severe Christmas GAS attack) and have to choose between the two.

I also have a complete set of adapters for vintage lenses but rarerly use then due to lack of focus peaking on ep3 (eye problems).

Which is a better choice? EP5 or EM10? I don't really like the OM form factor but I think I can live with it if it is SO much better. I like general photography: landscape-some macro stuff-holiday and architecture (Churches mainly).

I also have the Nikon D7100.

My question is: is there any big difference in IQ, handling, ecc. between the two? Have they any issues that could make me choose one or another?
    Is there difference in AF with 4/3 lenses? I also have and use 11-22 and 35 macro.
    Thank you for your answers and Merry Christmas to all Mu-43 followers.

2. Tominthevan

Tominthevan New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2014
    Ottawa, ON
    Tom Moore
    I have an Ep-2 and the OM-10. While I like the OM-10 better for many reasons, one issue I've had is in finding an adapter that will fit under the view finder protrusion on the front. The adapter I'd like to be able to use is the Photodiox EOS adapter with iris control. It's not listed as compatible and as best I can determine without buying it and trying it out, it actually won't fit. So, since you do have adapters you might want to make sure they'll fit. On the other hand, the OM-10 does have focus peaking.

Tom

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Do you know if EP-5 has focus peaking? I read that it has but is very basic.

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Yes. The E-P3 shares the same battery form as the E-M10. BLS 1 and BLS 5 will work on the E-M10 despite the warning in the manual of the E-M10 that it will not. So if one charger one battery type is important to you, then E-M10. E-P5 uses the same battery as the E-M5 and E-M1. IQ the same as it uses the same Sony sensor, but the E-P5 is a pro like body and heavier than E-M10. It has 1/8000 shutter as opposed to 1/4000 on the E-M10 and has the 2x selector switch like that found on the E-M1. E-P5 ergonomics is like the E-P3 and that's why I chose the E-P5 coming from the E-PL1. You will have focus peaking. AF performance with 4/3 lenses are the same which is slower than the real 4/3 camera. My E-1 focuses faster with the 14-54 compared to my E-P5 except the E-M1 which has 37 dedicated PDAF sensors. However, my E-P5 focuses much faster with my 4/3 lenses than my older E-PL1.
    The only exclusive feature on the E-M10 are 81 AF points (E-P5 has less of them) and Live Composite for nightscapes. Focus peaking is available on both E-P5 and E-M10 and I use it for my manual focus lenses on the focal reducer with great success.

• Like Like x 1
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks.

6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It looks like it does. http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/ep5/feature/06/

I only have a few weeks experience with am E-M10, but have thoroughly enjoyed it. However, if OP already has a VF-4, I would think a E-P5 would be a great body.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes, I already have VF-4 and love it. Maybe I'll sell the EP3 and keep the EP5 - EM10 as my only body.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Since you already have the EP3, the EP5 seems like the logical choice. You can use the VF-4 on the EP5 and you are ready to go.

With that said, the EM10 is by no means a loser here, it is just different.

I if you like the "DSLR" look and feel, the EM10 might be something you would want, although feature set wise, I think you'll get more advanced options with the EP5.

9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I've found the EP5 a perfect companion to my D7100. What I like about the EP5 (besides it's looks and build) is that when you take the EVF off and put something like the Pany 14mm you have a camera that can fit in cargo pants/windbreaker pocket and still deliver killer images. The 10 should have a bit better video with 24MB vs. 20MB codec. The feel of the EP5 is just amazing to me. With the Pany 14mm and Sigma 30mm, it is for me the perfect city camera. The kit zoom and 40-150mm make it the perfect vacation kit. I expect to keep the EP5 for a very long time as IMHO it is something special.

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks. Did you find the shutter shock issue that I read about on the web?

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    To be honest I like the Ep5 look better than the EM line.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd flip a coin. Both are good!

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    This is a good idea!!:biggrin:

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    There is that too, which you should also be happy with. I won't lie - I honestly looked at the EP5 when I was getting the EM5. I liked the built in viewfinder and at the time the price for both were the same, so I could not justify the added cost of buying the VF-4.

That is not an issue here as the VF-4 has already been purchased. Again - seems like the best upgrade path is EP5.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks. I'm seriously leaning towards the EP5 as soon as I read more about the shutter shock issue.

16. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Another E-P5 fan here (upgraded from E-P3). It does have some more advanced features that I don't think are on the E-M10, like 2 control dials and the 1-2 switch to change what the dials control at a moment's notice. Also since you own the VF-4 you have the option of a better viewfinder when you want it, and a slightly smaller package when you don't.

You asked about shutter shock - the most recent E-P5 firmware added a 0-sec antishock mode that only engages at certain times (below a certain shutter speed, I think) to avoid shutter shock.

17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Interesting

18. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Got rid of EP5 and got an EM10

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Can you explain, please?

20. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    No, at first I just tried to avoid those shutter speeds and when I shot at those speeds I just held the camera tighter. the Zero works very well for me.